carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 07-10-2014, 08:11 PM   #21
JST

Yeah, I can't really understand wanting an F10 over an F30 in TD's shoes. I thought one of your objections to the Tesla was that it was too big?

I am sad to hear of the demise of another full size manual, but the F10 I drove was not a pleasant car. M sport would probably improve things, but the F30 is plenty big enough unless you're trying to fit car seats or routinely carrying 5 adults.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:16 PM   #22
TD
Founder emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Yeah, I can't really understand wanting an F10 over an F30 in TD's shoes. I thought one of your objections to the Tesla was that it was too big?

I am sad to hear of the demise of another full size manual, but the F10 I drove was not a pleasant car. M sport would probably improve things, but the F30 is plenty big enough unless you're trying to fit car seats or routinely carrying 5 adults.

Don't take this as anything more than me acting bored. It is an attractive car. And the price point to lease surprised me.

Maybe at some point, a used unicorn (6MT M sport) might make a good replacement for my wife's A4 Avant.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:32 PM   #23
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
With all the demise of manuals going on, I am probably going to end up keeping A4 or trading for a used S4 or M3 or something down the road. I suppose I should have coughed up enough for an S4 this time around, but it is what it is. Good thing I like the car.

It will be sad when they aren't around anymore, but picture tube tvs are gone too and we all seemed to have survived. (yeah, that's the same thing).

Glad you like the car. It sounds like it is doing a great job for what you need.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:46 PM   #24
Alan
Carmudgeon

Great write up Rob ... Though some comments ...
I hate the auto start /stop and had my configured to do the last mode(or whatever they call it) so I don't have to turn it off every time

I am pretty sure you can configure the sport mode to be only steering/suspension and no change in transmission

The multicontour seats are awesome -

Did you get the 5 cameras ... I don't see a mention of them but it sounds like you have a loaded car. They are pretty awesome

I can't comment on your steering because mine has the older type of steering and yours has the electric steering .. Something about not fitting the electric steering on the 535 or 550 due to less room in the engine compartment

As far as the tesla looking better ... Not IMO especially with the msport package unless it is the loaded tesla with the bigger wheels then it gets close.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:49 PM   #25
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Yeah - that's why your s4 lease was making my eyes water. Back in December I could've leased a 550 msport for around 500 (with ED)
How in the world could you get a $75k car for $500 a month ... I pay considerable more then that for my 535 and it stickered at $70k though it is a 2 yr lease ... At the time they were quoting $990 for the 550.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:37 AM   #26
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
Great write up Rob ... Though some comments ...

I hate the auto start /stop and had my configured to do the last mode(or whatever they call it) so I don't have to turn it off every time

I am pretty sure you can configure the sport mode to be only steering/suspension and no change in transmission

The multicontour seats are awesome -

Did you get the 5 cameras ... I don't see a mention of them but it sounds like you have a loaded car. They are pretty awesome

I can't comment on your steering because mine has the older type of steering and yours has the electric steering .. Something about not fitting the electric steering on the 535 or 550 due to less room in the engine compartment

As far as the tesla looking better ... Not IMO especially with the msport package unless it is the loaded tesla with the bigger wheels then it gets close.

Didn't realize you have an f10 as well. Yeah- the 2014s came from the factory programmed to remember the last setting. My issue is that I actually like it but sport mode turns it off.

You can only configure sport mode if you have DHP - in past years that wasn't a requirement.

I only got the reverse camera. My dads 550 has all the cameras and the few times I drove it I found that i never used them.

Yes, 535 and 550s with xdrive get hydraulic steering while rwd models and all 528s get electric. My dads car is xdrive but I prefer the steering in my car.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:15 AM   #27
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Didn't realize you have an f10 as well.

Mine is a 2013 with currently 11k miles though I only have it for another 5 months ... here is a quick pic (needs a major car wash)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9222.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	596.8 KB
ID:	9469  
Old 07-11-2014, 09:28 AM   #28
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
535 fanbois are (obviously) not being rational.

the turbo 4's now found in the 528, A6 and CTS as the standard motor have more horsepower and torque than the naturally aspirated entry level engines from last generation.

and they're are more fuel efficient.

it's a non-argument made by morons who probably buy BMW bedsheets and BMW gym bags.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:31 AM   #29
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD View Post
Funny, I never had any desire to actually get an F10 535i until I realized I can't have one.

Now I wonder if I should find a newish used one and hold on to it.

Of course, that's stupid. But that's where my mind goes...
If you of all people get a 535 you will be VERY unhappy with it ... it is a big car and doesn't have that feel that let's say a 3er or S4 has.

Yes it handles 'nicely' but 'nicely' is not what your looking for ... go drive one and you'll see.

For me it's great to drive my kids and their friends around when needed, nights out for dinner and it's a great car in the snow but there is a reason I drive the 911 and NSX 5 to 6 days out of my week when the temps aren't freezing.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:27 AM   #30
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
If you of all people get a 535 you will be VERY unhappy with it ... it is a big car and doesn't have that feel that let's say a 3er or S4 has.

Yes it handles 'nicely' but 'nicely' is not what your looking for ... go drive one and you'll see.

For me it's great to drive my kids and their friends around when needed, nights out for dinner and it's a great car in the snow but there is a reason I drive the 911 and NSX 5 to 6 days out of my week when the temps aren't freezing.

Very true. I will say that there's a big difference in the way the rwd with sport suspension handles vs the xdrive models.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote