carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 01-08-2018, 03:20 AM   #21
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
I really found two companies who seem to have both off and on road covered, Land Rover (pretty much any of them) and Jeep (perhaps only the GC).

The GX/Land Cruiser/LX have off-road covered but boy are the GX & Land Cruiser floaty. The 4runner Limited is less so, but still a bit trucky and - for me - a bit slow and plain jane. Of the Toyota's it's still the one I'd pick. The used prices are insanely high though. The Jeep GC dollar goes much further. We'll see if this bet pays off.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:12 AM   #22
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Congrats and enjoy!

Don't know if you are aware of this, or not. But NJ's no pump gas laws are just for gas. With my first diesel, I pulled up to the diesel pump and waited, and waited for someone to pump my fuel . . . .didn't happen.

I still own a small, rectangle tupperware container that held my gloves for use when pumping diesel. Used to keep it of the floor right behind the driver seat
Old 01-08-2018, 09:15 AM   #23
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
One review said the air suspension was floaty. The other said it was too firm. Pffft. I'll just wait to hear your review.

Remind me why you didn't want an X5 again though? Price? And image?
Compared to any BMW, the Jeep is floaty. It's not designed with any sporting-pretension at all. The steering is also terribly vague. That said (when not in for seemingly near constant recalls) they are very good for what they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
Congrats and enjoy!

Don't know if you are aware of this, or not. But NJ's no pump gas laws are just for gas. With my first diesel, I pulled up to the diesel pump and waited, and waited for someone to pump my fuel . . . .didn't happen.

I still own a small, rectangle tupperware container that held my gloves for use when pumping diesel. Used to keep it of the floor right behind the driver seat
That's interesting, because a guy definitely came out to fuel up my truck when I was in Jersey a couple of years ago. I remember because I didn't know the rules - are you expected to tip those guys?
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 11:25 AM   #24
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Congrats! I considered a new one at the time I was looking at the LR4, but when new (would have been MY2014) it was surprisingly close in price to the LR4 and had much less interior space.

Let me know how you like it!
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 12:32 PM   #25
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
Compared to any BMW, the Jeep is floaty. It's not designed with any sporting-pretension at all. The steering is also terribly vague. That said (when not in for seemingly near constant recalls) they are very good for what they are.

That's interesting, because a guy definitely came out to fuel up my truck when I was in Jersey a couple of years ago. I remember because I didn't know the rules - are you expected to tip those guys?
When I rented a Grand Cherokee recently, I actually thought the steering felt better than most EPS BMWs. Weight felt more natural and there was no loose/dead spot on-center. It's no sports car, but I was pleasantly suprised the steering.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 01:36 PM   #26
equ
Alphanumeric

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
When I rented a Grand Cherokee recently, I actually thought the steering felt better than most EPS BMWs. Weight felt more natural and there was no loose/dead spot on-center. It's no sports car, but I was pleasantly suprised the steering.
I felt the same way. It seemed like a reasonable, not too trucky drive. Hopefully, I'll continue to feel that way.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 01-08-2018, 09:00 PM   #27
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
I felt the same way. It seemed like a reasonable, not too trucky drive. Hopefully, I'll continue to feel that way.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
love the new JGC interior --it is very nice. i'm just meh about the 3.6L V6. very curious to hear how the diesel powerplant works out for you.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:35 PM   #28
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
I think you just have to have a lower bar for SUVs. They need to be practical, safe, and decent to drive. Then you have to have a fun car to offset it. I can’t ever see spending big money again on an SUV. We’ll drive the X5 into the ground. And concentrate our future dollars and energies on the fun cars (and repairing the X5 as needed.)
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:51 PM   #29
equ
Alphanumeric

Drove it home, about 30 miles in a dark, icy/rainy night.

It's going to be a big adjustment. I have had only german cars (audi, porsche & bmw) since 2000.

Steering is decent. It is a very tall truck from the inside, Q5's and other crossovers look like cars. It was a very smooth ride home on the air suspension, especially on the highway. Less great on broken city streets with the 20" wheels. Not terrible.

There is definitely float & lean. The "on stilts" feeling is there as it is with most every SUV.

The engine & transmission are the best part. I got 29.4 mpg without trying. The 8-speed auto is very good, much better than the 6-speed in the older RR's that I was looking at. Like the TDI, you hear the diesel clatter at low speeds and from the outside, but not when cruising on the highway. Maybe on a ramp or an overtake. Enough power and twice the mileage of comparably torquey v8's.

The Overland is rather posh. Leather dash, 500W stereo, so lots of goodies that I've never had, even in expensive german machinery.

Some nitpicks:

- It's not pleasant to keep the vehicle at a stop in D. Not bad enough to shift to P, but definitely some vibes. I guess this is an autotragic thing. I hope buried in there is an auto-hold feature, but I'm not holding my breath. It won't matter on long trips.

- seats are a bit firm and a bit flat. prefer cushier and more bolstered. Lumbar support was sufficient. I don't think I have found the perfect driving position just yet but didn't try too hard.

- seems to have no auto wipers, crazy on such a loaded spec

That's about it. I have lowered dynamic expectations and it meets them just fine. Hopefully, it'll grow on me.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:12 PM   #30
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Check your control settings in the computer for the auto wipers. It should be in there.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote