carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 05-15-2004, 09:58 PM   #1
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Getting excited about the E60 M5

I had a nice conversation today with a die-hard BMW guy that just so happens to have the great fortune of landing a job as a test-driver for BMW. So, as you can expect, he was quite happy to tell me about his impressions of the E60 M5, which is has driven. The car he drove was a pre-production "mule", and he claimed that this particular car had no rev limiter or top speed limiter, so he was able to rev around 8000 rpm, and he was also able to get the car over 175 mph. Per his remarks, the car was smooth as silk at speeds near 175-- at that point, the aerodynamics of the car virtually eliminated any windnoise and the car was virtually silent.

Damn, I can't wait to see/drive it.

So, how does this guy get lucky enough to land a profession like that, and how did I end up meeting him? Turns out that he is involved with the production of alot of the Carbon Fiber stuff for the PTG cars. After some conversation, I found out that his grandfather was JS Inskip, who was a coachbuilder for Rolls Royce in the US after the first World War, and later became a well-respected Rolls Royce distributor. And, as you might realize by now, JS Inskip out of New York was the father/father-in-law (I forget the exact relation) of the person that started what was at that time Inskip Motors, which is now the dealership I work for.