carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 09-27-2005, 04:36 AM   #1
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
What do you think about paint repair?

So, the V has a very slight crease in the roof along the passenger front door. They can fix it, but they will have to break the paint to do it. remold the metal a bit, and repaint the roof. Is it worth it? Should I just leave the paint alone? I know I have a bad car habbit, but at this point in time, I really expect to keep this car for a long time. I like it, there isn't a better value out there, and it has lots of hp. So I am worried about what's best in the long term. Anybody have an opinion?
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 08:42 AM   #2
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Is the paint metallic? That can be sorta hard to match but on the roof I doubt anyone would ever notice....and most likely it's a non issue anyway if you use a good shop. If the damage is plainly noticeable I'd get it fixed.*

*this from a guy who's car is currently at the body shop getting its 3rd repaint of the driver's side
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 09:03 AM   #3
ff

If there's a crease there, there's a chance that the paint has already separated from the sheet metal and you just don't realize it. If that's true, you're gonna' have to get it repainted at some point anyhow. Like bren said, it's likely nobody will ever notice, and a good shop will match the factory color and finish pretty darn well.

But, in the interest in saving money, I guess that I'd wait until the point in time if/when the paint does chip to do anything about. Especially if the crease is barely noticeable. There's always a chance that you can unload the car at a future date without the prospective buyer or dealer ever noticing it.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 09:29 AM   #4
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff
If there's a crease there, there's a chance that the paint has already separated from the sheet metal and you just don't realize it. If that's true, you're gonna' have to get it repainted at some point anyhow. Like bren said, it's likely nobody will ever notice, and a good shop will match the factory color and finish pretty darn well.

But, in the interest in saving money, I guess that I'd wait until the point in time if/when the paint does chip to do anything about. Especially if the crease is barely noticeable. There's always a chance that you can unload the car at a future date without the prospective buyer or dealer ever noticing it.
True, and in my limited experience selling cars to anal, anal people, repaints raise more questions than a small crease would. A repaint might be covering anything; a small crease is self-evidently not that big a deal.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 02:02 PM   #5
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
Well that's the issue, isn't it? The paint is flat back (and sucky quality - the repaint would probably be an improvement) and the dealer will fix it under warranty, so the cost is not coming out of my pocket. The crease happened on the assembly line. On the other hand, I don't get to choose the body shop. I am inclined to have it fixed in spite of the fact that my normal gut reaction is to never break the paint if I can avoid it. Plus, the paint would have to be blended at the a pillars and c pillars.

*sigh* I should just get it fixed so I can have made a decision and move on. Once I do it, it won't bother me. Until I do it or the warranty runs, I will keep wondering if I should.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote