carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 10-15-2017, 11:56 PM   #1
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
I want a truck (I think?)

I keep wanting a truck. 3 times in the past 3 months I've wanted to have a truck to haul shit. Home ownership is a bitch.

The problem is I need to sell 1 or more cars to accomplish this.

Option 1: Sell E91 wagon. Own: E46, Cayman, Truck

The truck would need to be reasonable to drive any time it might snow. I kind of want a Colorado or Tacoma, but the 2017 Ridgeline is the most car-like and actually has the more reasonable AWD system for snowy roads. But they're all too expensive for me if I keep the Porsche.

My neighbor has a 2012 Tacoma with a manual transmission. It's a cute little truck that I could see owning, but the 4WD system is lame. It's basically 2wd: a locked center diff with open front and rear differentials. Good enough for snow? Maybe, but a step down from any modern AWD system, so I could see myself wanting to keep the wagon.

Option 2: Sell Cayman. Own: E46, E91 Wagon, Truck

I'm finding myself more and more thinking that sports cars are dumb. Where I live, anyway. The Cayman is awesome, but it's like driving an F1 car at 25 MPH. I keep feeling like I'm using 10% of the car's potential 95% of the time. I take joy in owning the right tool for the job, and the Cayman rarely feels like the right tool for my day to day activities. I don't get excited to drive it to work often, and when I do I end up driving way too fast.

In this scenario I'd be keeping the wagon so the truck's 4wd snow performance wouldn't be important. I could buy any old cheap truck for hauling shit. But with the truck always clogging up my driveway and rarely being driven, I'm pretty sure I'd be asking myself over and over, do I really need a truck AND a wagon???

Option 3. Sell Porsche AND wagon. Own: E46 + Truck

If I could find a truck that I was happy to drive in the winter, I could go down to 2 cars. This would make me very excited because I have a 2 car garage, and my driveway makes parking a 3rd car annoying. And for a winter vehicle, the Ridgeline is actually winning due to the reasons above.

But shit, I can't get excited about a Ridgeline. Should I go for a Raptor? So I can drive it around in 2-inches of snow and feel manly? or maybe a Colorado ZR2

Last edited by rumatt; 10-16-2017 at 12:44 AM.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:03 AM   #2
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Dude.
I

Uh

WTF
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:50 AM   #3
JST

The wagon is basically a truck already, so it seems to me that if you want to get a truck you should sell that.

When you say "haul shit" I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but it sounds like you need (or think you need?) a pickup truck. At the same time, maybe something with an enclosed back end would be useful for biking related tasks? And are you sure a utility trailer and a hitch for the wagon isn't enough?

In conclusion, the obvious answer is "used G wagen." Or used Defender 110. Or this. https://bringatrailer.com/2017/10/14...3a1-scout-car/

I was going to say that the new Jeep pickup thing is on the horizon, and I'd wait and see what that looks like. With a cap on it, it might serve more than one purpose. But checking it looks like production isn't going to start until 2019.

If you want to sell the Porsche, that makes sense, but I wouldn't replace it with a truck. I would replace the wagon with a truck and then make the choice about the truck at some point in the future.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:54 AM   #4
rumatt
Mugwump

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Dude.
I

Uh

WTF
Was it the dissing sports cars... or considering a Ridgeline that did it?.

I want a Colorado the most. Or a manual transmission Tacoma. But they have their own issues.

Odds of me ending up with a truck are low. Can't come up with a plan I'm happy with.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:00 AM   #5
rumatt
Mugwump

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
The wagon is basically a truck already, so it seems to me that if you want to get a truck you should sell that.
Makes sense. I just don't have a lot of budget left for a fancy truck if I keep the Cayman. It would have to be cheap-ish, and still be my winter car.

Quote:
When you say "haul shit" I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but it sounds like you need (or think you need?) a pickup truck.
The latest was that I was offered some free firewood. I'm considering renting a home Depot truck... Or tossing it in the back of the wagon and see if I break a spring.

Quote:
In conclusion, the obvious answer is "used G wagen." Or used Defender 110. Or this.
Perfect.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:15 AM   #6
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
A hitch and small utility trailer for the wagon make the most sense.

But, yeah, I want a truck, too.

A Ridgeline is a very sensible crossover Swiss Army knife thing. My MIL had one. But it’s not really a truck, so it might not scratch the deeper itch.

FIL has a Ram; that is a real truck. It does not fit in his garage.

We’re strunggling with how to schlep the tandem kayak we just bought, along with bicycles and a roofbox. We have a hitch on the X, so I’m eyeing trailers as well. We have a hitch-mounted bike rack and a J-rack for the kayak on the roof bar. But the kayak is a PITA to hoist onto the roof rack. And who wants to drive on the highway towing anything? Blah blah. Stuck.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:19 AM   #7
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
In conclusion, the obvious answer is "used G wagen." Or used Defender 110. Or this. https://bringatrailer.com/2017/10/14...3a1-scout-car/
Old 10-16-2017, 08:35 AM   #8
rumatt
Mugwump

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
But the kayak is a PITA to hoist onto the roof rack. And who wants to drive on the highway towing anything? Blah blah. Stuck.
A friend of mine was having trouble getting her kayak onto the roof of her Subaru. She said she bought a different rack with rollers on the back and she loves it. She loads it from the back of the car and once it's on the rollers she can just walk it forward.

But she also mentioned that it ends up touching the car before hitting the rollers and that sounded awful to me - so maybe these suck.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:25 AM   #9
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
A friend of mine was having trouble getting her kayak onto the roof of her Subaru. She said she bought a different rack with rollers on the back and she loves it. She loads it from the back of the car and once it's on the rollers she can just walk it forward.

But she also mentioned that it ends up touching the car before hitting the rollers and that sounded awful to me - so maybe these suck.
That would be perfect, but we have flush rails and Thule Aerobars, which preclude using any of the racks with rollers or hoists. There is a hoist gizmo that uses the hitch, so we may look into that. Something like this, but I hope less expensive https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SA8JGIG?psc=1 because trailers aren't much more and would offer the advantage of hauling another kayak or more stuff.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:44 AM   #10
3LOU5
Slacker Extraordinaire

U-Haul pickup.

$19.99/day.

Done.

2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !
3LOU5 is offline   Reply With Quote