carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 04-05-2018, 02:23 PM   #1
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Access by BMW

This is an interesting way to go if you have the means, always like new cars and want to drive different things regularly. Pricing isn't over the top outrageous ($2000/month for 5 series, 4 series, M2) when you consider it includes insurance, 2000 miles a month and 2 eligible drivers. By no means cheap, but not stupid/stupid either.

It will be interesting to see if other mfgs follow suit. I saw Porsche has something very similar in ATL.

BMW Officially Launches Access by BMW - U.S. Subscription Service, Including M Models

Woodcliff Lake, NJ – April 4, 2018… BMW Financial Services in the U.S. announced today the debut of Access by BMW, a new vehicle subscription service that will provide members with unlimited access to a diverse fleet of BMW vehicles through a single monthly subscription. Access by BMW will debut as a pilot program in Nashville, TN on April 4. The program will be facilitated by local BMW dealers who are responsible for vehicle deliveries and maintenance.

Access by BMW members will have the ability to request a vehicle based on their planned usage or activity via mobile app (available for both iOS and Android). Once a vehicle has been requested, a BMW concierge will personally deliver the vehicle most closely matching the member’s needs to their location at the desired time. Vehicles arrive fully fueled and freshly detailed with personal preferences already pre-set. There is no limit to how often members can switch vehicles within a given month.

“As customers continue to explore the growing mobility market, service-related offerings are becoming more in demand. With Access by BMW, our members will enjoy the freedom of personal mobility with access across a broad range of our highly emotional vehicles” said Ian Smith, CEO of BMW Group Financial Services USA and Region Americas. “Subscription-based services are of emerging interest for our customers, and we’re excited to be offering a mobility service to meet their individual and evolving needs.”

During the pilot phase, Access by BMW memberships will be offered in two tiers ranging from $2,000 - $3,700 per month, inclusive of vehicle maintenance, insurance and BMW Roadside Assistance. Additional tiers allowing even greater access to a broader range of BMW vehicles will be added as the program expands.

The two initial tiers are:

A “Legend” tier will include a selection of BMW sedans, coupes and convertibles, as well as BMW Sports Activity Vehicles such as: The BMW 4 Series (coupe and convertible), BMW 5 Series and plug-in hybrid BMW 530e iPerformance, the BMW X5 Sports Activity Vehicle, plug-in hybrid BMW X5 xDrive40e iPerformance Sports Activity Vehicle, and the BMW M2.

A highly emotional and exhilarating “M” tier will consist of BMW’s most powerful and highest-performing models such as: BMW M4 convertible, the all-new M5, BMW M6 convertible, as well as the BMW X5M and BMW X6M Sports Activity Vehicles.

“A pilot program is a great opportunity for us to learn. In the future, the nationwide network of BMW dealers will be integral to the success of Access by BMW,” said Smith. “We will depend heavily on their close collaboration to continue to meet and exceed consumer expectations, and to ensure the sustainable development of this new business model.”

Access by BMW is powered by Clutch Technologies. For more information, or to sign up, download the official Access by BMW app or visit www.AccessbyBMW.com.“Access by BMW” to Debut as a Pilot Program in Nashville.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 02:48 PM   #2
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
Those prices are still nuts.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:07 PM   #3
ff

Interesting idea. But yeah, that's awfully expensive.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 03:19 PM   #4
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
$2k /mo doesn't seem completely bonkers to you? How much are you paying for insurance and oil changes? Can't you lease one of these for like 1/3 of that price?
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 03:32 PM   #5
clyde
Chief title editor

Pretty sure a few manufacturers are piloting similar programs. Dunno what pricing is like for the others, but that looks ridiculously spendy for that class of vehicle. About 2.5 times what a no money down lease would run on the more expensive versions (that you probably won't want very often...I'm looking at you 440 xdrive convertible) and 3-3.5 times more than most of the ones you probably would want most of the time.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 03:39 PM   #6
clyde
Chief title editor

Looking at the FAQ (http://www.accessbybmw.com/faq note the link in the OP is broken), there's one place it might make sense...

If you're otherwise picking up the bill for a new BMW and insurance for a kid that's 21 or older, this could be a reasonable alternative. But that's still $24k/year.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 03:40 PM   #7
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Volvo's seems downright reasonable at $650 compared to that BMW nonsense.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 04:15 PM   #8
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
$2k /mo doesn't seem completely bonkers to you? How much are you paying for insurance and oil changes? Can't you lease one of these for like 1/3 of that price?
Its bonkers for me, but if you look at AF as an example (just because of his post w/ a6 lease details in the silver car thread). He likes to roll through new cars, has no issue with a $8xx/month lease on an a6 and enjoys trying a variety of car types. I would assume his insurance is something in the neighborhood of mine ~$100 month (USAA on the x5 w/ 2 teen drivers) so he's close to $1k / month for a car he's going to have for 2 years and turn in. Is it worth another $1k a month to have a concierge drop off the car of your choice whenever/wherever? Maybe (not for me). Would it save him from having to have an SUV (or similar truck style vehicle) for the few times he needs 7 seats? Maybe.

Regardless, the idea is interesting. It would be fun to have full access to an M2, a 540, an X5 a 440 'vert with no concern for ownership headaches. The same pricing applies to the Porsche Passport plan: The $2000 plan offers access to the 718 Cayman, the 718 Boxster, and the Macan (including S versions), as well as the base Cayenne. The $3000-per-month plan adds the 911 Carrera coupe and cabriolet (in base, S, and 4S trims), the Panamera (base, 4, S, 4S, and 4 E-Hybrid), the Macan GTS, and the Cayenne S, S E-Hybrid, and GTS, for a total of 22 models.

Looking at the Volvo one, it looks like an open ended (one year minimum) lease with insurance included, not a car swapping service. You pick your V60 or XC40 and keep it for at least a year.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3

Last edited by Josh (PA); 04-05-2018 at 04:29 PM.
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 03:39 PM   #9
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
Its bonkers for me, but if you look at AF as an example (just because of his post w/ a6 lease details in the silver car thread). He likes to roll through new cars, has no issue with a $8xx/month lease on an a6 and enjoys trying a variety of car types. I would assume his insurance is something in the neighborhood of mine ~$100 month (USAA on the x5 w/ 2 teen drivers) so he's close to $1k / month for a car he's going to have for 2 years and turn in. Is it worth another $1k a month to have a concierge drop off the car of your choice whenever/wherever? Maybe (not for me). Would it save him from having to have an SUV (or similar truck style vehicle) for the few times he needs 7 seats? Maybe.

Regardless, the idea is interesting. It would be fun to have full access to an M2, a 540, an X5 a 440 'vert with no concern for ownership headaches. The same pricing applies to the Porsche Passport plan: The $2000 plan offers access to the 718 Cayman, the 718 Boxster, and the Macan (including S versions), as well as the base Cayenne. The $3000-per-month plan adds the 911 Carrera coupe and cabriolet (in base, S, and 4S trims), the Panamera (base, 4, S, 4S, and 4 E-Hybrid), the Macan GTS, and the Cayenne S, S E-Hybrid, and GTS, for a total of 22 models.

Looking at the Volvo one, it looks like an open ended (one year minimum) lease with insurance included, not a car swapping service. You pick your V60 or XC40 and keep it for at least a year.
I'm thinking that Porsche may very well be able to get away with charging those prices for its plans, but not sure that BMW (or anyone else for that matter) will be able to do it. I vaguely remember Cadillac also offering something similar- think it was $1500/month for Escalades/CTS-V/ etc.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 04:29 PM   #10
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
If I am going to pay BMW THAT much every month I better be buying the dam thing.