carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 05-10-2018, 05:47 PM   #1
Alan
Carmudgeon

Argh ... Major R8 issue

So I guess it’s true ... you want to play you gotta pay ... the R8 is known for having 2 big issues one is the air conditioning and the other is the magnesium shocks ... the latter is extremely common, much more expensive to repair and not covered under most extended warranties.

My car is a 2008 with 16k Miles and yesterday I brought it in for a rattle and the dealer said 3 out of the 4 shocks are leaking

The shocks alone cost $8k and I figure labor will be another $2k to $3k ... totally sucks but there is a possibility my warranty might cover it ... fingers crossed the claims guy from the warranty company is coming to the dealer tomorrow.

I read online it can go either way and to think I was upset the parts to fix the rattle were $500 plus the labor of taking apart of the dashboard

Last edited by Alan; 05-10-2018 at 06:32 PM.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 05:51 PM   #2
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
So I guess it’s true ... you want to pay you gotta pay ... the R8 is know for having 2 big issues one is the air conditioning and the other is the magnesium shocks ... the latter is extremely common, much more expensive to repair and not covered under most extended warranties.

My car is a 2008 with 16k Miles and yesterday I brought it in for a rattle and the dealer said 3 out of the 4 shocks are leaking

The shocks alone cost $8k and I figure labor will be another $2k to $3k ... totally sucks but there is a possibility my warranty might cover it ... fingers crossed the claims guy from the warranty company is coming to the dealer tomorrow.

I read online it can go either way and to think I was upset the parts to fix the rattle were $500 plus the labor of taking part of he dashboard apart
Holy fuck. Are there any aftermarket options that might give you improved performance? If you're spending that kind of scratch, might was well get something out of it.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 05:56 PM   #3
Biggins
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 22 Tiguan, 11 328i
If the warranty covers it, that's the obvious route.

I've only had mine on the car for a few months, but maybe look into MCS shocks? They list the R8 on their applications page, but they could probably make one for your specific trim... https://motioncontrolsuspension.com/pricing/
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 05:58 PM   #4
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
You buy enough high end cars that I’m hoping you have friends in high places at your dealer. This sounds like the right time to ask for “goodwill” warranty participation. While the dealer won’t offer it up, the service manager does have some discretion to help out VIP clients.
Old 05-10-2018, 06:09 PM   #5
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Good lord.

If they don't pay, can you go to a different shop? Non-dealer?
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 06:48 PM   #6
Alan
Carmudgeon

I got an email from a place I bought the spare tire from and they said I can get the OEM shocks from them for $5700 but the dealer said they can’t give me the 1 yr warranty on the labor part if they do the install so I am not sure if that is even an option.

I have been checking around to see other options and the savings I am seeing is minor and then the shocks are not able to switch modes between comfort and sport ... at the same time I think I am keeping the car for another year or two and the ride will be improved so much I think I want to stick with oem.

Anyway my mind set is I pay the price (like i’ve got a choice) and that is the way it is and if by chance they cover it will be SUPER happy.

I’ll know tomorrow so basically another night of no sleep.

Sarafil ... I am definitely going to talk to the manager on pricing if I end up paying, i’ve gotten 4 new Audi’s from them since 2015 and have all my service done only by them ... I know the manager and he is a good guy and usually does the right thing by me.

Last edited by Alan; 05-10-2018 at 07:20 PM.
Old 05-10-2018, 06:54 PM   #7
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
Good lord.

If they don't pay, can you go to a different shop? Non-dealer?
I really don’t want anyone touching the car but the dealer, they have done this many times over and have R8 techs ... these guys know there shit.

The dealer treats their R8’s when they come in for service very special, no one is allowed to move the car except for the managers or the R8 techs. They also move the car immediately into the shop when you drop it off and it sits by itself in a part of the shop so no one can go near it even if they aren’t working on it.
They really make you feel special ... no wonder they are charging $10k to $11k for this
Old 05-10-2018, 08:18 PM   #8
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
I googled "Audi R8 shocks problem" and this was one of the first hits.

I can't see giving the dealer that kind of money for something that failed... just to have it fail again in another 10K miles. No way.

I hope they cover it for you.

Quote:
Replacing Leaking Audi R8 OEM Shocks With SCALE Alpine Series

One common problem with the Audi R8 is the magnetic ride shocks leaking prematurely with mileages as low as 8000 miles. The replacement cost from the dealership is overpriced at approximately $8900 USD for four OEM shocks. Instead of replacing one or the entire set and deal with imminent failure again, the most logical solution is to upgrade the entire suspension with a high-performance coil over kit such as our alpine series with 2 years warranty and high-quality components. Also, we can rebuild this suspension in the future if needed.

The price for this kit is approximately 1/6th of the dealerships pricing. We did some tests on the track and the suspension is very impressive. You can adjust the dampening with the knob and control the rebound of the suspension. We can also add a custom spring rate that can ride like the OEM suspension or stiffer.
Fill this form for a complete quotation including the shipping and we will make our possible to give you the best for your needs.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:19 PM   #9
3LOU5
Slacker Extraordinaire

Great Googilly Moogilly, your shocks are worth more than my whole car !!

2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !
3LOU5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:39 PM   #10
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
I googled "Audi R8 shocks problem" and this was one of the first hits.

I can't see giving the dealer that kind of money for something that failed... just to have it fail again in another 10K miles. No way.

I hope they cover it for you.

Let’s see what happens with the dealer if it’s not covered I will definitely check into this, thanks !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3LOU5 View Post
Great Googilly Moogilly, your shocks are worth more than my whole car !!

Bobo ?? .... lol I am guessing and hoping you’re another Howard stern fan otherwise you’d have no idea what bobo is ... if so did you update your Sirius app ... it’s awesome they have videos on it ..