carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 12-15-2003, 03:39 PM   #1
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

E39 M5s are fast.

That is all.

...okay, that isn't all. A friend of mine purchased a 2001 M5, LeMans Blue with Modena/Caramel interior, under 11,000 miles. He bought it from a dealership in MA, so he spent the night at our place on his way home to Raleigh. Thankfully, the snow/rain didn't start until very late Saturday night, so I got to take it out for a spin.

Wowee. While the torque doesn't feel as powerful/sudden as a C5's, that's only because almost nothing will feel as torquey as a C5. I would characterize the M5's WOT acceleration as "brutally smooth." I can't believe how strong it is in any gear, at any RPM. Wheee! The car also handles quite well (as expected). The steering setup feels good but is not as pinpoint-accurate as one might want. It manages, like all contemporary M cars, to provide a very flat ride that is still somehow comfortable. Amazing.

Overall, especially when puttering around town, the car is VERY elegant and restrained. I've never driven a car quite that "nice." Everything feels substantial, and when you're nice to the gas pedal, it feels like any other midsize sedan. The weight only disappears when you mash it. And even when going crazy, the car seems to be very laid-back about its movements, like it really isn't trying. Like I said: Restraint.

I was dumbstruck by the interior materials and quality. Sure, the design is a little old, but the execution is FLAWLESS. Leather-covered dashboard, alcantara pillars and ceiling, electric thigh support, folding mirrors, high-quality wood trim, perfectly weighted controls. I couldn't find a single flaw because I never tried to use the cupholders. Rear seat room, despite what the numbers may say, certainly feels much larger than an E46's. More kneeroom, much more shoulder room, a little more headroom. And the nappa leather is miles above that Montana stuff.

Overall, I think it's one of the best sedans on the market today, new or used, and I would not hesitate to buy one if I were so monetarily equipped. But I would not replace my E30 M3 with it. My M3 is about as different as it can be from this M5, but the M5 is actually ideologically quite similar to the E28 M5. The owner plans to take his M5 to the track, and I think it'll do very well there with some upgraded brakes.

Two thumbs up. But you knew that already.
blee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 04:00 PM   #2
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Re: E39 M5s are fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee
That is all.

...okay, that isn't all. A friend of mine purchased a 2001 M5, LeMans Blue with Modena/Caramel interior, under 11,000 miles. He bought it from a dealership in MA, so he spent the night at our place on his way home to Raleigh. Thankfully, the snow/rain didn't start until very late Saturday night, so I got to take it out for a spin.

Wowee. While the torque doesn't feel as powerful/sudden as a C5's, that's only because almost nothing will feel as torquey as a C5. I would characterize the M5's WOT acceleration as "brutally smooth." I can't believe how strong it is in any gear, at any RPM. Wheee! The car also handles quite well (as expected). The steering setup feels good but is not as pinpoint-accurate as one might want. It manages, like all contemporary M cars, to provide a very flat ride that is still somehow comfortable. Amazing.

Overall, especially when puttering around town, the car is VERY elegant and restrained. I've never driven a car quite that "nice." Everything feels substantial, and when you're nice to the gas pedal, it feels like any other midsize sedan. The weight only disappears when you mash it. And even when going crazy, the car seems to be very laid-back about its movements, like it really isn't trying. Like I said: Restraint.

I was dumbstruck by the interior materials and quality. Sure, the design is a little old, but the execution is FLAWLESS. Leather-covered dashboard, alcantara pillars and ceiling, electric thigh support, folding mirrors, high-quality wood trim, perfectly weighted controls. I couldn't find a single flaw because I never tried to use the cupholders. Rear seat room, despite what the numbers may say, certainly feels much larger than an E46's. More kneeroom, much more shoulder room, a little more headroom. And the nappa leather is miles above that Montana stuff.

Overall, I think it's one of the best sedans on the market today, new or used, and I would not hesitate to buy one if I were so monetarily equipped. But I would not replace my E30 M3 with it. My M3 is about as different as it can be from this M5, but the M5 is actually ideologically quite similar to the E28 M5. The owner plans to take his M5 to the track, and I think it'll do very well there with some upgraded brakes.

Two thumbs up. But you knew that already.
There are two LeMans blue M5's at work. Damn, I love that paint.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 06:00 PM   #3
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
My wife has decided that she needs an E39 M5

Maybe by the time we need a sedan they will be affordable
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 08:15 PM   #4
Mathew
Crotchety

Yah they are
Mathew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 09:47 PM   #5
SCA
Jaded

My dream, pickup a 01 or 02 E39 M5 in 2006 - 2008.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 09:57 PM   #6
TD
Founder emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean
That's my plan. Basically in that timeframe pick up either an '01-02 M5 or an '04-05 S4.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 10:21 PM   #7
The HACK
Crotchety

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD
Quote:
That's my plan. Basically in that timeframe pick up either an '01-02 M5 or an '04-05 S4.
Ugh. Have you ever driven an E39 M5?

The recirculating ball steering would drive me crazy. If you think the overboosted crap on the early E46es were bad, you should try the E39 M5 steering. Sure, the power and handling more than makes up for that flaw, but man oh man if they could just fix that the car would be perfect.

• SEMA 2004 • Leadership Matrix has been passed, Ricemus Prime Lives!!!
The HACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 11:11 PM   #8
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD
Quote:
Ugh. Have you ever driven an E39 M5?

The recirculating ball steering would drive me crazy. If you think the overboosted crap on the early E46es were bad, you should try the E39 M5 steering. Sure, the power and handling more than makes up for that flaw, but man oh man if they could just fix that the car would be perfect.
Worth noting that the E60 8-cyl. models do not have the recirculating ball achilles heel.
Old 12-16-2003, 12:12 AM   #9
The HACK
Crotchety

Granted, the E39 M5 is still one heck of a sedan...I would gladly give my left ball and a kidney to own one.

• SEMA 2004 • Leadership Matrix has been passed, Ricemus Prime Lives!!!
The HACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 12:24 AM   #10
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD
Quote:
I'd be all for a used 04-05 S4. I drove one last week. Woo Hoo!
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote