carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 03-18-2021, 02:15 PM   #3561
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
987.1 "RS60" getting strong money on BaT:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...rs60-spyder-4/

There's a lot of interest in this car because it's a special edition but like so many end-of-model-run Porsche special editions it's not really very special--color/trim and a sports muffler? Silver and red is a striking combo, but...other than the rarish interior color it's hard to see how this is more (or even as) desirable than/as the 987.2S.
There's a guy on youtube that does in depth depreciation/market analyses of various Porsche models. Pretty interesting and not always what you'd expect. For example, the 911 GTS overall has the least steep curve of all the 911 models and holds its value much better than the S. Surprising since the GTS isn't really a special model-- just an options package really. Think he did one on Boxsters as well.

EDIT: here's his analysis on the 987 gen boxster: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIrYsLUWGJQ
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 03:48 PM   #3562
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
There's a guy on youtube that does in depth depreciation/market analyses of various Porsche models. Pretty interesting and not always what you'd expect. For example, the 911 GTS overall has the least steep curve of all the 911 models and holds its value much better than the S. Surprising since the GTS isn't really a special model-- just an options package really. Think he did one on Boxsters as well.

EDIT: here's his analysis on the 987 gen boxster: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIrYsLUWGJQ
That is interesting. There are some potential quibbles, and the fact that he doesn't have enough data points to talk about the 987.2S makes the analysis less useful than I'd like, but it's informative.

One thing the jumped out at me: There's an $8,000 price difference between the 987.1 and 987.2 base cars. My first thought was that that was driven by reliability concerns, and that it underlines that people are bad at valuing risk, because an $8,000 difference based on the risk of an engine failure means that you're estimating there's something like a 30-50 percent chance that the engine will fail (depending on how much you plan to pay for a replacement engine). And while the IMS problem is bad, it ain't that bad, even in the 2005s.

But actually the difference between the 987.1 and 987.2 base models is more significant. There was a meaningful bump in displacement and power in the 987.2 base cars, so my guess is that a big chunk of that difference is explained by the technical changes, not reliability.

It would be interesting to compare the S cars, because there the changes were much smaller; the S cars make more power but the delta isn't as meaningful, and the rest of the features are pretty similar. To me, the difference in price between an '08 S and an '09 S is almost entirely perceived reliability improvements in the 9A1. Sadly, he doesn't have those numbers.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 04:06 PM   #3563
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
That is interesting. There are some potential quibbles, and the fact that he doesn't have enough data points to talk about the 987.2S makes the analysis less useful than I'd like, but it's informative.

One thing the jumped out at me: There's an $8,000 price difference between the 987.1 and 987.2 base cars. My first thought was that that was driven by reliability concerns, and that it underlines that people are bad at valuing risk, because an $8,000 difference based on the risk of an engine failure means that you're estimating there's something like a 30-50 percent chance that the engine will fail (depending on how much you plan to pay for a replacement engine). And while the IMS problem is bad, it ain't that bad, even in the 2005s.

But actually the difference between the 987.1 and 987.2 base models is more significant. There was a meaningful bump in displacement and power in the 987.2 base cars, so my guess is that a big chunk of that difference is explained by the technical changes, not reliability.

It would be interesting to compare the S cars, because there the changes were much smaller; the S cars make more power but the delta isn't as meaningful, and the rest of the features are pretty similar. To me, the difference in price between an '08 S and an '09 S is almost entirely perceived reliability improvements in the 9A1. Sadly, he doesn't have those numbers.
Yes to all that.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 05:58 PM   #3564
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:

Makes sense. I think his insight on how 987.1s have bottomed out depreciation-wise (in terms of model years) sooner than most cars was interesting as well. I think he said the average cost per 1000 miles on those cars is only like $100 at this point. Probably another reason why you and some others here dont' want to let go of your Boxsters...
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 03:24 PM   #3565
JST

Uh wow that’s...all the money for a base 986.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...oxster-2-7-28/
Old 03-20-2021, 04:01 PM   #3566
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Uh wow that’s...all the money for a base 986.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...oxster-2-7-28/
I think for $20k that is a cool car ...
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 04:14 PM   #3567
JST

I mean. It’s a cool car, and it’s nicely presented (though not sure how I feel about the blue top on that color combo).

That’s a lot of green for a base 986, though. Must be about top of the market.
Old 03-20-2021, 04:28 PM   #3568
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I think for $20k that is a cool car ...
Compare that to the $12 I got for the z3 a year ago. I'd take the z3 anyday
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 05:19 PM   #3569
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
Compare that to the $12 I got for the z3 a year ago. I'd take the z3 anyday
Yeah that is true .. at least for me too being I am much more comfortable in the Z3 over that year boxster. You don't find that many Z3's that nice.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 11:39 AM   #3570
nate
Oh, are they?

Carmudgeonly Ride: S4
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...illac-deville/