carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 10-22-2023, 11:11 AM   #5041
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I like tanzanite more; it’s more interesting. Gentian just ends up looking dull in everything but a very specific light. It reminds me of the dark blue that Tesla uses.
Got to disagree, especially since having had Tanzanite within our family for over two years now, I feel the same as you do regarding Gentian towards Tanzanite. Tanzanite literally only shines in direct sunlight. Furthermore, Tanzanite is definitely not worth the price of admission, $1500-$1950 depending on the model. Truthfully… If we had to do it all over again, we wouldn’t have pushed for the color to be selected. Opps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Exactly.

Certainly an odd combination of options from my POV as well.

100%
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 11:39 AM   #5042
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
In regards to his build and use, I will abide by the "if you can't say something nice .."

I will give him props for paying cash though
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 12:11 PM   #5043
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
In regards to his build and use, I will abide by the "if you can't say something nice .."

I will give him props for paying cash though

Yep - paying in cash and not over MSRP are very admirable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 09:03 PM   #5044
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Yep - paying in cash and not over MSRP are very admirable

I think the whole video was tedious, in retrospect. I felt like he could have gotten to the fucking point in like 5 minutes.

And I think his version of a humblebrag comes across flat, to me. I don’t really care if he paid MSRP or not and if he paid in cash or not, to be honest. I just find his build to be common and basic.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 10:51 AM   #5045
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
I think the whole video was tedious, in retrospect. I felt like he could have gotten to the fucking point in like 5 minutes.

And I think his version of a humblebrag comes across flat, to me. I don’t really care if he paid MSRP or not and if he paid in cash or not, to be honest. I just find his build to be common and basic.

Yep - I find all his videos to be a bit long winded and tedious to be honest.

Old 10-23-2023, 11:08 AM   #5046
JST

I find the whole “don’t take on debt” line of thinking really irritating. It also comes from a place of immense privilege.

Like, yes, many people go into debt more than they should, but the idea that it always makes sense to pay cash for a $200K or $50k or $30k car is silly.
JST is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 12:58 PM   #5047
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I find the whole “don’t take on debt” line of thinking really irritating. It also comes from a place of immense privilege.

Like, yes, many people go into debt more than they should, but the idea that it always makes sense to pay cash for a $200K or $50k or $30k car is silly.
I see what you're saying and if he was preaching about not taking on debt to buy a 20-30kish daily driver, I think that would definitely cross the line into being privileged.

But, if we're talking about expensive sports cars that are bought solely for enjoyment, it's probably a valid statement. Of course, there may be reasons why financing such cars makes more sense than paying cash (for example if the interest rate is lower than your opportunity cost on the cash, etc). In any case, I highly doubt there are any GT3 buyers who are maxing out their finances and going into unsustainable debt to get one. The "relationship" you need to have built with a Porsche dealer kind of insures against that.

Nonetheless, it still seemed like an unncessary thing to add to the video and I suspect there was certainly an aspect of "humblebrag" in his motivation for saying it. I've heard him reference Dave Ramsey in other videos so I hat may where this idea originated for him
Old 10-23-2023, 01:58 PM   #5048
SCA
Jaded

Some individuals, myself included were raise that if you do not have the funds to purchase large ticket items then do not go putting yourself in debt to acquire them. Maybe that is where George, MotorMan is coming from?
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 02:26 PM   #5049
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
Some individuals, myself included were raise that if you do not have the funds to purchase large ticket items then do not go putting yourself in debt to acquire them. Maybe that is where George, MotorMan is coming from?
Sure, I get that. To me, it's a bit too OT/humblebragish even if he probably had all the right intentions.

I think there is something to be said for not buying a car fully leveraged just for the sake of making videos. Perhaps also to convey just how special he finds this particular car.

But the tone of "kids, let me give you some advice" just felt a bit odd.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 03:50 PM   #5050
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
That part is fine. I don’t disagree. But the PSA aspect of is eye rolling. And there’s two reasons for that — I think it inhibited getting an interesting build and it also delayed the delivery by four years. I just think it wasn’t worth being so black on white on an issue to where frugality gets in the way of getting the car you want when you want it.

I also think there’s a couple of things which come across as disingenuous or in conflict with the “responsible persona”.

1. He had to wait for forever and day to get his car, even being a special person — you can see how paying ‘above’ MSRP could have helped that situation. But stick to your guns. And you get your car who knows when. I don’t need to hear about the saga. Because the solution would have been simple (to me). Pay up. Get what you want. Be happy now versus vaporware.

2. The whole hemming and hawing around the PCCBs made my stomach turn. It seems like an excuse for what the little boys at Cars and Coffee call “peasant spec” (it’s what they say when you have this amazing car but cheap out on options). You should really just check the box for the PCCBs and everything else. So and so says the stock brakes are fine. Yeah. They’re always fine. But dude you’re ordering the most boring GT3T ever. Get some options on there.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote