carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 06-10-2005, 07:09 PM   #21
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
the thing that i wish i had done is to just pull the trigger on the car that emotionally moved/moves me. that rational stuff is for the birds and not neutralizing that emotional desire is a bad thing. it leads to a clincial disease called "serial auto purchasing".

it's so dysfunctional that it becomes normal to friends and family after awhile. they cease to even recognize it as a disease and take it in stride.

but if you start out with the car that gives your heart a tug when you see it in the driveway, it's a huge plus.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 07:14 PM   #22
Jason C
Carmudgeon

Carmudgeonly Ride: Invalid Carriage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming
but if you start out with the car that gives your heart a tug when you see it in the driveway, it's a huge plus.
I think in the end, it will come down to this. As well it should.
Jason C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 11:41 PM   #23
Fair!
Realist

On our custom ordered 2005 Corvette Z51:
1) add XM radio option. Doh! Me and my "no frou frou options!" ideals.
2) Blue instead of "boring silver" (there was a woman involved on that choice)
3) Set-aside money for race wheels and tires earlier.
4) Buy a used C5 Z06 instead.... Again, woman involved "it's prettier!"
Old 06-11-2005, 11:11 AM   #24
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
i don't think i'll ever give up the c5z06.

i was so thoroughly unimpressed with the c6z51 at the track that i already worry about the road feel (steering and braking) as well as handling even in the c6z06 package. the problem was that you could never tell what the hell the car was doing at the limits --could have been partly because of the lameass runflats, but runflats will likely be on the new z06.

one thing i'd like to do moving forward is to try to drive the potential cars at the track, if it's possible. because i'm interested in the 997S, the viper and the z06, that means before i take the plunge, i'd definitely go to the Porsche driving experience (alabama), skip barber and back to springmountainmotorsports. i'll bet for 99% of the people out there who do not understand why i hate the c6 so much, it's because all they do is cruise in it and have never been even close to its limits. and if you didn't see the car at its limits, you'd never find the weakpoints.....which only triggers another round of car buying to address those weakpoints.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 02:27 PM   #25
Fair!
Realist

Quote:
i don't think i'll ever give up the c5z06.

i was so thoroughly unimpressed with the c6z51 at the track that i already worry about the road feel (steering and braking) as well as handling even in the c6z06 package. the problem was that you could never tell what the hell the car was doing at the limits --could have been partly because of the lameass runflats, but runflats will likely be on the new z06.

one thing i'd like to do moving forward is to try to drive the potential cars at the track, if it's possible. because i'm interested in the 997S, the viper and the z06, that means before i take the plunge, i'd definitely go to the Porsche driving experience (alabama), skip barber and back to springmountainmotorsports. i'll bet for 99% of the people out there who do not understand why i hate the c6 so much, it's because all they do is cruise in it and have never been even close to its limits. and if you didn't see the car at its limits, you'd never find the weakpoints.....which only triggers another round of car buying to address those weakpoints.
Yep, the C6 is fairly limited by the factory wheels and tires. I have complained since day one about the runflats and factory 19" bling bling rears. Can't get "real" R compounds for 19" and might not for a while... so there goes Stock class solo2 running.

There's also some issues with torque management/traction control software on the C6 (and LS2 GTO) that cannot be totally disabled. It kills the 1/4 mile performance and can't help solo2...

I am moving this car straight to ASP, and hopefully the 18x11fronts, 17x12 rears, and Kooks headers+exhaust will wake this thing up (as well as some LS2 Edit tweaking to turn the nanny software off). It's a lot nicer on the street than a C5 (I have driven many) but at the track.. yea, it's got issues.

Getting the traction control and active handling "disabled" (an elaborate button mashing routine) makes it a lot better, but there's still a little bit there you can't turn off...
Fair! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 01:49 PM   #26
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
Quote:
actually, i just want to play with the built-in g-meter without crashing.
My sister-in-law renamed the g-meter. It's now referred to the vomitometer in my brother's household.

It's tough to play with the meter though - the steering wheel blocks it as soon as you turn. It's too bad b/c watching the bar slide over is kind of fun. Until you hit that guard rail . . .
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote