carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 06-09-2005, 06:02 PM   #11
SCA
Jaded

Well, since I don't own a daily driver worth a shit I'm kinda SOL. Especially since I have no a/c (still).

I will tell you the things that I would have to have if I were to purchase a new car today.

Sport Pkg. if it's offered
SunroofMoonroof
Xenons
Possibly factory installed XM
An electric Rear sunshade would be nice, it gets toasty here in the summer.
Bluetooth
Prefer no power seats and no leather.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 08:00 PM   #12
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming
it's also interesting that Snyde raises the Garmin C330 issue --do you think that is a better solution that the Palm add-on GPS navigation kit?
Absolutely.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 08:43 PM   #13
Roadstergal
Butting in.

The Miata was the perfect car for me. If I got another car, I'd do it the same way. If for some strange reason, I needed a back seat, I'd do another E30. Never needed more in a vehicle.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:15 PM   #14
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean
Well, since I don't own a daily driver worth a shit I'm kinda SOL. Especially since I have no a/c (still).

I will tell you the things that I would have to have if I were to purchase a new car today.

Sport Pkg. if it's offered
SunroofMoonroof
Xenons
Possibly factory installed XM
An electric Rear sunshade would be nice, it gets toasty here in the summer.
Bluetooth
Prefer no power seats and no leather.
wow. and i thought i was the only weird one. i am not a leather fan (i like the alcantara treatment of the STi) and i HATE power seats. in fact, i hate power windows, too. xenons are really cool but it's been so long since i had them, i forgot what i'm missing already.

is satellite radio really that cool?

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 09:37 PM   #15
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
The satellite radio grows on you. You will see, I suppose. It took a month or so for me to realize I liked it. I didn't drive the car all that much then. One day we were in the wagon and I was like "wtf! What's up with this no satellite radio?" It's nice to not have to listen to idiot djs in the morning.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 10:01 PM   #16
Roadstergal
Butting in.

I didn't like my XM experience. I'd rather have NPR and MP3s. Even though the former is a bunch of wankers who canned Bob Edwards - the XM bunch is a bunch of wankers who can't get billing or internet feed figured out.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:08 PM   #17
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwg
The satellite radio grows on you. You will see, I suppose. It took a month or so for me to realize I liked it. I didn't drive the car all that much then. One day we were in the wagon and I was like "wtf! What's up with this no satellite radio?" It's nice to not have to listen to idiot djs in the morning.
actually, i just want to play with the built-in g-meter without crashing.

the rest of the stuff sounds cool, though.

the one thing i've regretted in the past is not getting the fastest car in its class that money could buy --it's not that i've owned many slow cars, but there are moments when i really feel the lack of power.

for example, the GT wagon pushes out 280ft#'s of torque (underrated by a lot), but 2.5 litres is still just 2.5 litres, turbo or not. when it's 91 degrees F and the A/C unit is on, it's still just 2.5 litres and turbo lag rears its head and the car feels incredibly slow. smaller displacement engines are really affected a lot more by heat soak than bigger displacement engines (are you listening, Hack?). in stop and go traffic in hot weather, you really cannot help but notice this.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 11:04 AM   #18
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadstergal
I didn't like my XM experience. I'd rather have NPR and MP3s. Even though the former is a bunch of wankers who canned Bob Edwards - the XM bunch is a bunch of wankers who can't get billing or internet feed figured out.
But XM now has Bob Edwards on their "XMPR" station, which also has various other NPR shows...
Old 06-10-2005, 11:48 AM   #19
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming

it's also interesting that Snyde raises the Garmin C330 issue --do you think that is a better solution that the Palm add-on GPS navigation kit?
I have a Garmin iQue, which is a Palm PDA with built-in GPS (they have a new version out that runs on Microsoft OS). I love it -- its not perfect for in car use (some of the on-screen buttons are a bit small), but overall has similar features to the C330. I haven't used the add-on GPS kits, but you have to figure out where to put the GPS antenna, and how to mount the Palm in the car (I use a Garmin bean-bag cradle for my iQue -- works great).
Old 06-10-2005, 12:35 PM   #20
Roadstergal
Butting in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadstergal
But XM now has Bob Edwards on their "XMPR" station, which also has various other NPR shows...
That's why I got XM.. and I tried to like it...