carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 06-13-2005, 09:50 AM   #1
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

Drove a V6 Mustang

After one cancellation and a series of delays that were then un-delayed, we had finally made it to Syracuse, and we dragged ourselves over to the rental counters. "Here are your keys, sir," said the friendly fellow behind the Hertz desk. I looked at the fob and it read "GRND MARQ." Hmm...that wasn't what I had in mind when I got a free "upgrade." I asked to see what else he had available, and was tossed the keys to a Mustang instead. Deal.

The car's lines looked were as unmistakable as ever in the garage, but at 11:00 pm, under the sickly glow from the sodium lamp above, it looked to be a garish shade of orange. Not my idea of a pretty car, not by a long shot. Still, they were running low on cars, and the light metallic blue number parked nearby was a convertible -- a dealbreaker for the wife. So I got in and fired it up.

The first thing I noticed is that the new Mustang really gives you the impression that you're riding low to the ground. With the seat in the lowest position, the view out the front was reminiscent of a Camaro I once drove around the block. The windshield washer nozzles were visible on a sliver of garish orange hood, but there wasn't much else to see. I loved it. Kim wasn't so impressed. The other thing I noticed was that the shift lever was not in the most convenient place. No big deal, I only plan to use it once. Finally, with the door open, I blipped the throttle. I don't know how, but they made the V6 sound quite pleasant. It's no SBC, but I liked it anyway. It was throaty and somewhat reminiscent of a V8, just in a muted way. Not bad.

While on the highway to our destination, I noticed a couple of things right away. First, anyone who can tell the difference between an independent and a solid rear axle will immediately know what's running underneath the new Mustang. It's not subtle. Giving credit where credit is due, the ride is bearable, but expansion joints, shallow potholes, and speed bumps will not be insignificant events. The steering felt vague and imprecise at speed that night, but I didn't complain as much about it during later excursions over the weekend, which suggests that it wasn't so bad that I couldn't get used to it. In all other aspects of normal driving, the car handled well and was quite tractable in most situations.

Ford has never made an automatic tranny worth mentioning. The slushy in my rental was early to shift up, slow to shift down, and unsure of itself from stops. It was not helped at all by the engine, which reminded me very much of the X-Type I drove last year. It has almost nothing to offer at low RPM, but there is enough grunt above 3500 RPM to be entertaining. I would not buy this car without a clutch pedal. Don't get me wrong here -- the car was reasonably quick. It just wasn't great.

By the time we got to our destination, we'd covered about 45 miles over both highway and city streets. By that time, I was not pleased with the seat bottoms in our rental. They were flat, unsupportive, and somewhat on the short side. A bit of seat position adjustment may have improved the situation, but I definitely think they need to be revised in future model years. I also thought the "MUSTANG-"emblazoned upholstery pattern was dumb, although the material itself was fine. In fact, the interior of the car was great (except for the seat issue). The IP cluster was clean and easy to read, and the retro-ish design cues were executed in a way that didn't make them look cheesy. The chrome accents worked well, and the fit and finish were good. I especially liked the no-nonsense, easy-to-manipulate circular vents on the dash. It's rare to find a car where my left hand doesn't freeze to death from the vent that's always placed just behind the steering wheel. The side mirrors were actually big enough to be functional, and the rear quarter windows made visibility back there excellent. Back seat space was tight, however, and I learned that the seat tilting mechanism doesn't return to its original setting. What's worse, it doesn't slide the seat forward, either.

We parked in a hotel lot under a more natural-looking lamp, and once we got out, I instantly fell in love with the exterior. The red paint was just the right shade for this car (and it was particularly appropriate for us, as we were headed to Kim's reunion weekend). I've panned this car multiple times for being needlessly retro, but every time I've seen it in the flesh I've liked it. I was smitten very hard by it that night. The lines were perfect, the needless spoiler in back actually enhanced its looks, and even the base model's 16" wheels were well chosen for this car. Great job, Ford. My only complaint was the "MUSTANG" decal running under the doors on either side.

I put about 150 miles on our rental Mustang over a period of 3.5 days. I found my share of annoyances with the car, but most of them were related to the powertrain. Except for the seats and a couple of other little things, I was very happily surprised to see that Ford has finally built a modern Mustang that I would want to buy for myself. It's civilized enough for daily driving, even through crummy city streets, but it's got the character and the performance (yes, even with the V6...kindofnotreallybutsorta) to make any enthusiast happy. After pulling into the return spot at the airport, I sat there with the door open, blipping the throttle a few more times just to feel the car tilt and hear the exhaust note. I don't do that for many V6s.
blee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 11:15 AM   #2
lip277
The old cranky SOB....

Carmudgeonly Ride: several cars... way too many....
And when you consider the price of the V6 Mustang (starting about $20k) - It really is a decent car. Any car can be made better. But for the cost - A real good starting point. The GT isn't a bad deal either.

Nice write-up.

1970 2800CS - - 2001 740iL - - 2006 997.1 - - 2012 Escalade
1968 Mustang GT Convertible - - 2003 Ford F250 PSD - - 1985 728i
lip277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 11:22 AM   #3
Jason C
Carmudgeon

Carmudgeonly Ride: Invalid Carriage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lip277
And when you consider the price of the V6 Mustang (starting about $20k) - It really is a decent car. Any car can be made better. But for the cost - A real good starting point. The GT isn't a bad deal either.

Nice write-up.
Lower than that, as the dealers are actually discounting the V6. GTs on the other hand - not a chance. MSRP is the best that you'll do.

It does provide an interesting comparison, seeing as the GT optioned out like I want it is just a hair under $28k. With the new GM discounts applying to all but Corvettes, I've hear of people getting a 2005 GTO for under $30,500. Not quite the $5k or more difference initially quoted in C&D.
Jason C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 11:25 AM   #4
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

Quote:

Nice write-up.
I would never have purchased a '99-'04 Mustang for myself. Some of them were quite fast, but they felt like they were held together entirely with plastic pop rivets. Even the '00 coupe that I test drove with only 500 miles on it was clunky. In contrast, this new car felt as solid as any respectable sedan. It's finally on a platform worth driving, and it's finally a car worth buying (IMO).
Old 06-13-2005, 11:25 AM   #5
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan
Quote:

Nice write-up.
Lower than that, as the dealers are actually discounting the V6. GTs on the other hand - not a chance. MSRP is the best that you'll do.

It does provide an interesting comparison, seeing as the GT optioned out like I want it is just a hair under $28k. With the new GM discounts applying to all but Corvettes, I've hear of people getting a 2005 GTO for under $30,500. Not quite the $5k or more difference initially quoted in C&D.
And still not worth it. The Mustang is a better car than the GTO, period. Price is not the point. Even if the GTO and the Mustang cost exactly the same, the Mustang would be the better car.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 11:31 AM   #6
Jason C
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST
Quote:
Quote:

Nice write-up.

And still not worth it. The Mustang is a better car than the GTO, period. Price is not the point. Even if the GTO and the Mustang cost exactly the same, the Mustang would be the better car.
Too bad the "2007+ Performance RWD Chevy Coupe" will apparently come out too late for me. With a (possibly) lighter weight than the Goat, it might have been a winner.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:44 AM   #7
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

There are also persistent rumors about an upcoming Challenger.

http://money.cnn.com/2005/06/13/Auto...nger/index.htm

Where the hell is GM's competing product? They can't win with a rebadged Holden, at least not in its current state. The market has proven it.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:01 PM   #8
Jason C
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee
There are also persistent rumors about an upcoming Challenger.

http://money.cnn.com/2005/06/13/Auto...nger/index.htm

Where the hell is GM's competing product? They can't win with a rebadged Holden, at least not in its current state. The market has proven it.
They say the 2005 is selling great, with sales up 83% from the 2004. Or something like that.

Hardly a brag-worthy point, given how the 2004s sold.

Come on GM. I want a modern LSX with a (reasonably lightweight) chassis to match... without the Corvette price. All your loyalist say it can and will be done soon. I'm hardly as patient as a GM loyalist.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:51 PM   #9
Jason C
Carmudgeon

To get back on the subject, I like this combo:

Also, I'm beginning to think that a Mustang/GTO (or something like that) is starting to make more sense for me than a conspicuously flashy S2000 or a no-compromise STi/Evo. But you could dismiss that as this weeks waffle.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:57 PM   #10
JST

Quote:
To get back on the subject, I like this combo:

Also, I'm beginning to think that a Mustang/GTO (or something like that) is starting to make more sense for me than a conspicuously flashy S2000 or a no-compromise STi/Evo. But you could dismiss that as this weeks waffle.
A red Mustang with giant white racing stripes is just as "conspicuously flashy" as an S2K/STi/Evo.

I'm not feeling the stripes, personally--they evoke for me a bit too much of the Mustang II. I'll take mine in Tungsten Silver or black with the red interior.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote