carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 05-31-2022, 07:36 PM   #1
robg
Carmudgeon

Thoughts on Audi Etron SUV

So after going down several rabbit holes with the I-pace it doesn't look like that's going to happen (hard to find, long order times, dealer markups etc).

I was playing around w/ TrueCar since it's a quick way to get a sense of actual pricing and was curious about the Etron. Clicked on it which of course invoked the wrath of the local Audi dealer on my inbox. They really seem to be motivated (unlike pretty much any other dealer right now), and email me every day. The sales guy just emailed me about a car they have coming in that is pretty much exactly as i'd order one (blue w/ brown interior, premium + convenience pack).

No ADM, so the price would be 73k - the tax/lease credit. That would put the price at about what Vroom is currently offering for my Range Rover Sport. My logic would be to take advantage of the inflated used market while buying a new car that doesn't have an ADM. Unfortunately, there are very few new cars I've found that are a) available without a markup and actually on a dealer lot b) i find appealing.

The etron is pretty much the same size as the RRS but seems to offer a little bit more rear seat and cargo room. Similar features (adaptive air suspension, etc). Better infotainment of course except with silly all-touch screen climate contorls. The "premium" trim lacks cooled seats and the nicer leather. From what I can tell the 23 models will have signifcantly enhanced range (300 vs 222) which i'm sure is why the dealer is so motivated. One small gripe (based on reviews) is that even the strongest regen setting really doesnt allow for "one pedal" driving.

The RRS lease is up in August so I'll need to make a decision soon as to whether to buy it out . Currently I have about 14k of "equity" looking at the trade-in value vs the residual. Its even harder to predict where values for it will be in a year (when the 4 year warranty runs out) because it will hinge on what the used car market does, and how available the redesigned RRS is.

All things being equal, I actually think i'd prefer to keep the RRS because I just really like it. But there is a lot about the etron that I find appealing as well. In this crazy world is it possible that buying a new car ends up being cheaper in terms of cost of ownerhip over the next 3 years vs just keeping what I have?

It would probably be worth looking at the X5 45e as well since I think the pricing is very similar and it also qualifies for the full tax credit. Its EV range would be enough for 90% of our driving.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 09:00 PM   #2
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
We made out similarly when we sold the wagon and got our x5 (cheaper next 3 yrs). The g05 platform is stellar and for the most part, reviews of the 45e are very good so it would be worth checking it out. Are you ready for what I assume is your primary family car to be all electric? The e tron is sharp if that's the direction you go.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 09:04 PM   #3
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
We made out similarly when we sold the wagon and got our x5 (cheaper next 3 yrs). The g05 platform is stellar and for the most part, reviews of the 45e are very good so it would be worth checking it out. Are you ready for what I assume is your primary family car to be all electric? The e tron is sharp if that's the direction you go.

In theory, an EV (even with the relatively low range of an etron) would work as our family vehicle. In real life on a road trip with our kid on a hot or rainy day and no working fast chargers…not so sure. The etron is one of the fastest charging EVs aside from the taycan …takes full advantage of 150kw chargers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-31-2022, 09:53 PM   #4
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
I read something recently that made me chill on the E-Tron. Will try to dig it up.
There are rumors about a power bump on the X5 45e with the next LCI. Might be worth doing a deep dive on that.

If it were my choice, I’d get the Plug-in hybrid as the stop-gap do-all until the charging infrastructure is really there. With just one car in the garage, I like options right now.

Had the X3 plug-in been available when I bought my GC—or even a plug-in GC—I would have bought it.

Last edited by wdc330i; 06-01-2022 at 10:34 AM.
wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 10:37 PM   #5
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
I read something recently that made me chill on the E-Tron. Will try to dig it up.
There are rumors about a power bump on the X5 45e with the next LCI. Might be worth doing a deep dive on that.

If it were my choice, I’d get the Plug-in hybrid as the stop-gap do-all until the charging infrastructure is really there. With just one car in the garage, I like options right now.

Had the X3 plug-in been available when I bought my GC—or even a plug-in GC—I would have bought it.

Totally agree. I’m also looking into the 330e. Would prefer a wagon/hatch/suv for our family car though

Old 05-31-2022, 11:52 PM   #6
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Who is the Rover lease through - Chase? Do they allow 3rd party buyouts? Make sure you research that.

X5 45e is a great package but yes, there is a big power bump apparently coming with the LCI next summer, rumored roughly +100hp extra. Will star production in April as 2024 model.
Old 06-01-2022, 12:40 AM   #7
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
Who is the Rover lease through - Chase? Do they allow 3rd party buyouts? Make sure you research that.

X5 45e is a great package but yes, there is a big power bump apparently coming with the LCI next summer, rumored roughly +100hp extra. Will star production in April as 2024 model.

Yes, chase. Pretty sure they allow 3rd party buyouts. Interesting about the LCI getting a big power bump. Hmm.

Old 06-01-2022, 06:23 AM   #8
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Just a thought on range… 222 miles rated us very low these days. That will be plenty for around town commuting and errands with a rare fast charge if you forget to plug in at home one night…

But… understand possible road trips. What is the charging infrastructure where you will go and along the route?

Also keep in mind that while charging will max out at 150kW, you really won’t see that in real life for very long. Charging tapers as the battery fills up and smaller batteries have a smaller sweet spot where the max kW is avail. When I had my Model S (an early 60 with 207 miles range when new), it theoretically charge at 120kW, but the most I ever saw was 105. In real world Charging, we averaged about 40-45 min per fast charge stop to add ~120 miles of range. Compared to our Model 3 and Y (both of which had 310 miles of range when new), we can add 120 miles of range in 15-20 min at 150kW superchargers (v3 superchargers can deliver up to 250kW, but it’s been a while since I’ve been to one).
Old 06-01-2022, 07:01 AM   #9
JST

ZBB makes a key point about battery size and charging.

I haven’t driven an etron but just based on the specs I’d have a hard time spending the money on one.

The fact that the dealer seems kinda desperate to move them also is pretty telling.
JST is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 09:29 AM   #10
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
Just a thought on range… 222 miles rated us very low these days. That will be plenty for around town commuting and errands with a rare fast charge if you forget to plug in at home one night…

But… understand possible road trips. What is the charging infrastructure where you will go and along the route?

Also keep in mind that while charging will max out at 150kW, you really won’t see that in real life for very long. Charging tapers as the battery fills up and smaller batteries have a smaller sweet spot where the max kW is avail. When I had my Model S (an early 60 with 207 miles range when new), it theoretically charge at 120kW, but the most I ever saw was 105. In real world Charging, we averaged about 40-45 min per fast charge stop to add ~120 miles of range. Compared to our Model 3 and Y (both of which had 310 miles of range when new), we can add 120 miles of range in 15-20 min at 150kW superchargers (v3 superchargers can deliver up to 250kW, but it’s been a while since I’ve been to one).
But with gas prices what they are, for 85-90% of the time the eTron makes sense.

For road trips just rent an SUV for $100 a day. Easy.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote