carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 02-02-2006, 11:23 AM   #1
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
Question 7: Software Upgrades

I think this will be the last question for a little while:

How "safe" are the various software upgrades (Dinan, Shark Injector, etc.) to the longevity of the 330i's engine?

In the event a ZHP is either unavailable or unobtainable I am considering some modest tweaks and upgrades to a ZSP car. Supposedly the software upgrades improve throttle response and raise the redline to about 7000 rpm and there may be a very modest bump in HP, though not enough for me to worry about. Mostly I'd be interested in improved DBW throttle response and raising the redline. But how safe is it to do this on the 330i's engine? Any potential long-term problems to gain these benefits? Are the benefits worth it? Considering I'd likely have this car for a long time (6-8 years) I'd rather not risk screwing up the engine / drive train but if these mods are safe it maybe worth looking into.
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 11:47 AM   #2
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
Originally Posted by lupinsea
I think this will be the last question for a little while:

How "safe" are the various software upgrades (Dinan, Shark Injector, etc.) to the longevity of the 330i's engine?

In the event a ZHP is either unavailable or unobtainable I am considering some modest tweaks and upgrades to a ZSP car. Supposedly the software upgrades improve throttle response and raise the redline to about 7000 rpm and there may be a very modest bump in HP, though not enough for me to worry about. Mostly I'd be interested in improved DBW throttle response and raising the redline. But how safe is it to do this on the 330i's engine? Any potential long-term problems to gain these benefits? Are the benefits worth it? Considering I'd likely have this car for a long time (6-8 years) I'd rather not risk screwing up the engine / drive train but if these mods are safe it maybe worth looking into.

I ran the Shark for a few months and had detonation problems... uninstalled it and don't miss it a bit.

Get the car first, then see how you feel about the throttle mapping and redline... you might not feel any need to do anything, despite what the 1337 BMW forums say.
Old 02-02-2006, 03:32 PM   #3
Roadstergal
Butting in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz
I ran the Shark for a few months and had detonation problems...
What about the car?
Old 02-02-2006, 04:22 PM   #4
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadstergal
What about the car?
Oh, I missed you, rgal.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 08:52 PM   #5
lupinsea
Jeeped

Hey Carrie.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:02 PM   #6
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
I don't see the point with messing with the software on a newer engine. The stakes are high and the gains are small.

One of the main advantages is the higher redline, but who knows what the risks are of driving your engine 500 RPM higher than it's supposed to be. A few times, sure, but all the time? Who knows.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 09:45 PM   #7
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Jim Conforti's shark injector s'ware doesn't add any power. It mostly helps to re-program the potentiometer-linked software (DBW) throttle responsiveness.

it's not really worth the money, but it does get rid of the DBW lag (if you simply cannot live with it --> me).

guess which car J.Conforti drives. :-)

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 01:44 AM   #8
lupinsea
Jeeped

Granted it's a different application but the ZHP cars have a 7000 rpm redline. I'm not sure what else BMW did to those engines but I thought I heard it was primarily a hotter cam with remapped ECU to take advantage of it. So maybe a 7000 rpm redline wouldn't hurt? Or was there more internal upgrades to handle the raised redline?

I'm not too keen on messing with the engine on the 330s either but if a ZHP is unavailable and the software upgrade didn't hurt the engine, helped raise the rev limit and improve the DBW I thought it might be worth looking into.

Oh, and cool link, Lemming. That was a fun read.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:15 AM   #9
IndyMike
Elected by grace

Carmudgeonly Ride: 11 1 M; 11 328iT; 22 M240ix
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming
Jim Conforti's shark injector s'ware doesn't add any power. It mostly helps to re-program the potentiometer-linked software (DBW) throttle responsiveness.

it's not really worth the money, but it does get rid of the DBW lag (if you simply cannot live with it --> me).

guess which car J.Conforti drives. :-)
What DBW lag? It is non-existent on my ’04, because I know what it feels like. The lag along with the sissified steering rack drove me batty on my ’01. But if it’s on my current ride, then they’ve done a good job of virtually dialing it out, because the difference is like night and day. AG eventually addressed the steering rack issue so maybe at some point they also surreptitiously tackled the wire problem, at least to a certain degree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupinsea
Granted it's a different application but the ZHP cars have a 7000 rpm redline.
Not sure if you are talking stock or not, but the ZHP redline is 6800. At least it was for the '03 & '04 model year. Not sure about '05.

Given the less than enthusiastic testimonials so far it sounds like the gains are nominal and not commensurate with the expense or potential side effects. You are probably better off placing the funds towards another mod that will deliver more satisfying results (e.g. suspension upgrades, LSD, etc.).
IndyMike is offline   Reply With Quote