carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 01-22-2006, 07:40 PM   #1
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Equ's dilemma - 2

Weekend update.

04 Imola Ci cleaned and delivered to new owner He's a nice guy who started waxing it Took a test drive in his 03 m3 that is for sale. Very well priced (minor scratches that I don't care about) and great carbon black/gray. Major problem is SMG - minor issues no heated/lumbar seats. Last time I drove one I was smooth in manual mode and unsmooth in auto, this time I didn't even feel smooth in manual mode. Perhaps if I could learn it, I should go for it just for the price, but then the added complexity etc. etc. I can't believe his car hasn't sold. Perhaps SMG doesn't resell? I wish I could do it. Doesn't feel simple/intuitive enough. Perhaps next gen will be better. Perhaps better on a track. Perhaps, perhaps... SMG-experienced, please chime in.

Drove 04 m3 manual. Nice car - low miles, not sure about price and some other things. Not best color (that would be carbon black) but ok with good options. Not sure to make offer or not as seller not easy to read.

Ruled out black/black/black i zhp at dealer. Felt like a black hole.

Drove 05 Ci zhp. Amazing condition - premium with lumbar rare on zhp, fantastic previous owner. Real contender - unfortunately same as my car but in such amazing condition/color and added lumbar and my tears for my zhp dried pretty quick. Not well priced - almost 06 i level. Perhaps I should test e90. Probably no more $/year than m3 as it faces some depreciation. Owner thinking on my price suggestion (which is not a lowball by any means).

Drove 04 i zhp. Nice, well priced - not the best color. Great for stealth but hard to get excited after the amazing condition Ci. Don't get excited on zhp drives anymore as I've just had one for the last 14,000 miles.

Overall - back to test driving bmw's after rx8's and r32's is less fun but more familiar. No well priced 05 rx8's in my area anyway. I don't think I'm ready to leave the damned bavarians just yet.

So what will it be? Repeat of a zhp or an m3 for exciting acceleration? Or the dark horse e90? Stay tuned.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 08:13 PM   #2
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
I'm slow.

Why are you considering a ZHP if you just bailed on your current lease?
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 08:31 PM   #3
equ
Alphanumeric

Never in love with Imola and had some minor bad luck with it. (Not really the fault of the car and disclosed to new owner). Didn't love being in a lease - though now I realize those terms were pretty good. Didn't go as far as swapalease and someone jumped on it while I was still not sure.

I was also planning to get an rx-8 for handling and lowering my profile. While the lease transfer process got underway, I started losing interest in it. Low demand, not exactly a success in the market, a dealer himself saying it's crap, negative mazda dealer experience etc. etc. Will it start up on cold days or after others drive it? I've still not ruled it out completely but I've been thinking I'll be missing bmw's too much.

Another zhp - yes it feels a bit boring... Then again, tried and true.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:32 PM   #4
robg
Carmudgeon

equ-

Don't let lack of lumbar in a power seat equipped e46 turn you off too much. Its pretty easy (and pretty cheap) to add it to a car that has power seats. Terry on bimmerfest did a write-up a while back.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 09:12 AM   #5
Alan
Carmudgeon

Equ ... what are the prices on these cars ?

We need more info and being that your from the NY area as well I'd considering one of those cars and was wondering what the price is nowadays ...
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 09:24 AM   #6
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ
SMG-experienced, please chime in.
SMG takes time to get used to/proficient with. You are not going to get it down pat during a test drive. I like SMG and have no regrets, but it certainly isn't for everyone.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 10:34 AM   #7
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF

We need more info and being that your from the NY area as well I'd considering one of those cars and was wondering what the price is nowadays ...

You guys are talking about ZHP coupes, right?
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 10:45 AM   #8
equ
Alphanumeric

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF

AF, I should be done with my shopping in the next few days. I didn't want to post prices in this thread - that's not the advice I'm seeking. A couple thousand here or there is not as important to me as say, comments on SMG.

I'm happy to give ideas on where the zhp/m3 market is these days. I have a Galves subscription (just expired) and have been shopping the last few weeks.

Once I make my decision, I will be happy send the info on the particular cars I've been looking at. Some nice m3's and zhp's out there.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:47 AM   #9
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Typical Alan F. Trying to save a few pennies here and there.

rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 10:49 AM   #10
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren
SMG takes time to get used to/proficient with. You are not going to get it down pat during a test drive. I like SMG and have no regrets, but it certainly isn't for everyone.
SMG in the E46 M3 is not the same as SMG on the 330s.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote