carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 02-09-2021, 08:24 AM   #21
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Maybe people should just be buying the engine and putting it in a decent looking body.
Or just buy the engine and display it.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 08:50 AM   #22
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I mean I suspect whoever bought that truck will use it some. It has enough miles on it that the owner could put another few thousand on it and not appreciably change the value.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 09:16 AM   #23
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I agree with you.

But for people who like trucks (or more specifically someone willing to pay 50 or 100 large for what is basically just an old truck), they think the exact same thing about a Porsche 993.

The 7.3 Powerstroke, as much as I hate it, was the pinnacle of Ford diesels for a long time because the engines that succeeded it (6.0 and 6.4) were unreliable turds.

The 993 comparison is apt here, too, because the 996 (and to some degree the 997.1) was a letdown in comparison.
I get it. But my point is, that the 993 is liked because it is pretty, because it sounds a particularly (pleasant) way, or because it drives well. One can still sample all those things.

That Ford was a great work truck and that's about it. Nobody is going to put it to work.

When I started my first job out of college there were 3 guys in my group who had that truck. I've been in one on a trip to Maine to visit a vendor. I've been on it for dozens of short trips year round. I had to get out and "lock the hubs" in a winter storm. I have heard many guys talk about the awesomeness of the truck. And it was always about what a great, tough, powerful truck it was, nothing else.
Old 02-09-2021, 09:18 AM   #24
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I mean I suspect whoever bought that truck will use it some. It has enough miles on it that the owner could put another few thousand on it and not appreciably change the value.
I suppose that's possible, but I find it unlikely that they will use it in a "Built Ford Tough commercial" kind of way.
Old 02-09-2021, 09:27 AM   #25
John V
No more BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
I get it.
Do you, though?

Quote:
But my point is, that the 993 is liked because it is pretty, because it sounds a particularly (pleasant) way, or because it drives well. One can still sample all those things.
That's how you view it. To someone who covets a low-mileage F250, they see the 993 as an old car that costs way too much for what it is, looks like an old VW Beetle, and is basically useless as a car.
Old 02-09-2021, 09:33 AM   #26
kognito
older fart than ZBB

John's right. I've been through a few diesel trucks. Luckily I had no issues with two different Ford (International) 6.0 liter motors. Heck, large Ford dealer were required to buy special lifts for servicing/replacing 6.0 trucks

But the 7.3 is highly sought after.
Old 02-09-2021, 10:14 AM   #27
FC
Solving problems

OK. Sure. I just think it's a crazy premium for either a) a car that is going to sit to just be admired, or b) a truck you actually plan on using.

Now, as a collectible because it's a very rare, crazy-well-reserved sample of an iconic truck? Sure. Wrap it in a bubble, put it in a museum, etc.

Again, my opinion.
Old 02-09-2021, 10:22 AM   #28
John V
No more BMWs

Nobody is disagreeing that it's a ridiculous price.
Old 02-09-2021, 10:28 AM   #29
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
OK. Sure. I just think it's a crazy premium for either a) a car that is going to sit to just be admired, or b) a truck you actually plan on using.

Now, as a collectible because it's a very rare, crazy-well-reserved sample of an iconic truck? Sure. Wrap it in a bubble, put it in a museum, etc.

Again, my opinion.
Says a Massachusetts resident looking for justification to expand the custom built detached garage he built to make it large enough of the snowblower for which he forgot to account.

We all live in glass houses here.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 10:33 AM   #30
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Says a Massachusetts resident looking for justification to expand the custom built detached garage he built to make it large enough of the snowblower for which he forgot to account.

We all live in glass houses here.

You know I was joking about expanding that garage, right?

I'm not judging anyone's wish to spend their money as they see fit. I just don't get it, that's all.