carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 11-08-2020, 11:02 AM   #1481
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
You could also wait for the BMW i4, allegedly coming next year:

https://www.caranddriver.com/bmw/i4
I didn't know that car was coming out, thanks for the link it looks pretty cool.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 02:55 PM   #1482
Alan
Carmudgeon

My son and I just took about a 12-15 minute test drive by ourselves in this car, I know it’s not a Tesla but it is fully electric so I posted it here.

It is pretty cool car, good acceleration, still pushes your head back due to the instant electric acceleration and overall a really cool car.

It has a regular dashboard and also an iPad like screen in the middle. It is not as fast as the model 3 but the power is good. It doesn’t have the cool feature of seeing the cars around you like the Tesla and I actually like the idea of no dashboard in front of the driver in the model 3 Compared to having the dashboard like this car has.

Strange thing is you buy it from a Polestar dealer (not really a dealer but a rep from what I understand) but all service is done by Volvo who btw does not sell the vehicle

One other note, it felt like a drivers car, nice steering which is adjustable in heaviness and it handled the curves really well.

This electric thing is really growing on me !!

One other note, it is a hatchback and looks much better in person then the pictures, I thought it would be X6 looking but it is much more car like in person

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-14-2020, 07:59 PM   #1483
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Polestar

infotainment is the first car running the google version
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 12:28 PM   #1484
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Strange thing is you buy it from a Polestar dealer (not really a dealer but a rep from what I understand) but all service is done by Volvo who btw does not sell the vehicle
Because Polestar is Volvo. Even if it’s not it is. China-ownership notwithstanding.

Leaving the Chinese part aside, the Polestar 2 is a much more interesting proposition to me than the Tesla. Don’t see myself buying one, but maybe the next version?

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 05:01 PM   #1485
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Because Polestar is Volvo. Even if it’s not it is. China-ownership notwithstanding.

Leaving the Chinese part aside, the Polestar 2 is a much more interesting proposition to me than the Tesla. Don’t see myself buying one, but maybe the next version?

Yep. Interesting to note that you can’t actually buy them through a volvo dealer (if I understood correctly from Alan’s post). Maybe it’s a clever way to circumvent dealer franchise laws and sell direct?

robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 12:50 PM   #1486
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Yep. Interesting to note that you can’t actually buy them through a volvo dealer (if I understood correctly from Alan’s post). Maybe it’s a clever way to circumvent dealer franchise laws and sell direct?

Yes you can only buy them from an authorized Polestar dealer and it looks like there are only 4 in the US.
Old 11-16-2020, 01:53 PM   #1487
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Yes you can only buy them from an authorized Polestar dealer and it looks like there are only 4 in the US.
Interesting. Based on this article, it looks like the "Polestar spaces" are still franchises; not company owned like Tesla. So i guess my theory was wrong.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...ied-sub-brand/
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 02:52 PM   #1488
JST

Quote:
My son and I just took about a 12-15 minute test drive by ourselves in this car, I know it’s not a Tesla but it is fully electric so I posted it here.

It is pretty cool car, good acceleration, still pushes your head back due to the instant electric acceleration and overall a really cool car.

It has a regular dashboard and also an iPad like screen in the middle. It is not as fast as the model 3 but the power is good. It doesn’t have the cool feature of seeing the cars around you like the Tesla and I actually like the idea of no dashboard in front of the driver in the model 3 Compared to having the dashboard like this car has.

One other note, it felt like a drivers car, nice steering which is adjustable in heaviness and it handled the curves really well.

This electric thing is really growing on me !!

One other note, it is a hatchback and looks much better in person then the pictures, I thought it would be X6 looking but it is much more car like in person

It's a neat looking car, but the whole Polestar thing is kind of weird, especially since there's just SO MUCH Volvo in the design language.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 02:55 PM   #1489
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I saw one of these driving down I-95 today, except it clearly said "Volvo" and "T5" on the trunk. I has confuse.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 03:16 PM   #1490
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I saw one of these driving down I-95 today, except it clearly said "Volvo" and "T5" on the trunk. I has confuse.

A) this has standard Volvo styling cues, so if you look really quick it kinda looks like a regular Volvo

B) Volvo offers a “polestar” package & dealer accessories for their regular models which is basically a performance kit, kind of like BMW M Performance - which makes it confusing when they use the same name for what is supposed to be a totally different brand. https://www.volvocars.com/us/cars/ne...&redirect=true