carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 10-28-2018, 07:24 PM   #941
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Even though economically it’s silly, i think I’d rather keep the supercharging.
While I can certainly relate to illogical pleasures of an all-you-can-eat buffet, I won't be going near superchargers anywhere near enough for it to make sense.

I'll take my $5k back.

I also think supercharging should not be free - or cheaper than you can charge at home. It creates all the wrong incentives for people and screws over people traveling and needing a charge.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 08:51 PM   #942
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Paid Supercharging is the standard now.

And the cost is at least 2x the cost of charging at home.ll
Old 10-28-2018, 09:54 PM   #943
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
I drove the car from manhattan to the lake house tonight while dark and rainy. Visibility sucked. I used autopilot as much as I could out of morbid curiosity. It was really impressive. I just sat back, kept my hands on the wheel, and watched for problems. It was shockingly relaxing and didn't feel unsafe because I had plenty of time to react if it did something stupid.

I had to intervene 3 times in a 75 minute drive. (merging cars, construction zones, etc)
That's very cool. I'm not surprised that an American manufacturer, Tesla in this case, but could have been a different one, is cracking the best software/UI. To put it very roughly, Germans make incredible machines but have trouble with software. I find swathes of the idrive and equivalent porsche menus unused. In some ways, even Jeep/Chrysler Uconnect was pretty decent.

Was it like cruise control++ and lane assist++ as in you sat back for the highway and road portions, but actually did the driving in Manhattan, and the dark difficult bits to your house? Or did you only intervene 3 times the WHOLE way, including city streets, red lights, turns etc? Like just watched it drive, given an address taking exits etc.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 10:55 PM   #944
rumatt
Mugwump

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Was it like cruise control++ and lane assist++ as in you sat back for the highway and road portions, but actually did the driving in Manhattan, and the dark difficult bits to your house?
This.

I didn't try to use it in NYC city streets, and I didn't use it once I got off the highway (taconic).

I also used it coming into the city Friday night. I hit a 10 minute traffic jam at the Henry Hudson bridge. It was flawelss. Creep, stop. Creep, stop. Instead of lane jockeying to try to get 30 seconds ahead I just sat back and watched the car drive.

I suspect the novelty will wear off ... but maybe not?
Old 10-29-2018, 12:30 AM   #945
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
Did JV cut apart a Model 3 and a Model S and create a mix of the two?
Did he cut up a Model 3? In a manner of speaking, I suppose.

There were four Teslas at today's event. An X and 3 3s. The 3s were listed as Tesla 3-P75D+, Tesla Model 3, and Asgardian Sparkles (which rumatt and JST tell me was a Performance w/o Performance Upgrade Package). Sparkles was the only one driven by a decent driver and it was a good bit slower than me in my Camaro.

Tires were definitely a factor, but not as much as they would have on a totally dry course in 80 degree weather. It was low 50s when we ran, mostly cloudy and the course was partly dry, a bit damp in places and wet here and there. I'm on wide tires made for autocross and Sparkles was on the 235 Michelin MX whatever All Seasons.

The car can probably take 245s, but I'm not sure about 255s. Maybe the tiniest chance in hell that wheels taking full advantage of the 7mm offset allowance would allow 265s, but I wouldn't expect it to work. There's almost no room for clearance in there.

I saw Sparkles do one run and it looked okay, but not special. I didn't have a chance to talk to the driver after we ran, but will soon, I'm sure.

I did not see the other two 3s. They ran in the afternoon after I left, but their times were not impressive.

Quote:
Unrelated [and you'll probably want to tune out for this part clyde...]
I drove the car from manhattan to the lake house tonight while dark and rainy. Visibility sucked. I used autopilot as much as I could out of morbid curiosity. It was really impressive. I just sat back, kept my hands on the wheel, and watched for problems. It was shockingly relaxing and didn't feel unsafe because I had plenty of time to react if it did something stupid.

I had to intervene 3 times in a 75 minute drive. (merging cars, construction zones, etc)

Overall I'm really happy with the car. It's relaxing and comfortable on the highway, yet still a blast on back roads. A rare combo.

Oh, and I can't believe Elon is giving money back. I mean, I'll take it. But what an idiotic situation he created. He needs to stay off twitter.
If I had it, I'd try it, too, I'm sure. But I'd use it with a hefty dose of caution and not trust it be totally capable. Sounds like you did, too. What scares me for most people is your comment about you finding it "shockingly relaxing" and not feeling unsafe. You know better. Others don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
That would more commonly be referred to as a P3D+ -- same thing JST and rumatt have (but black…)
It's just stupid. Tesla isn't the only one with stupid naming and stupid customers with stupid naming ideas. But it's stupid.

And I list my car at some autocrosses as "half the bangers pony car" instead of Camaro, so I know what I'm talking about.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 10:34 AM   #946
JST

The Tesla naming convention thing is kind of silly, but part of it is that they are trying to move away from battery sizes as a model designator because they think their propulsion tech is better (read as more efficient) than their competitors. A 75Kwh Tesla might thus be the equivalent of a 90Kwh Jaguar.

It's also complicated by the fact that they can't use Model E, or have decided they can't, so the Model 3 lineup isn't consistent with the S or X.

It's also complicated by the fact that none of the Model 3s have any badging yet. There will eventually be a DUAL MOTOR badge for the trunk, and for the Performance cars it will be underlined, but as of now they all just have bare asses.

Anyway, now that all of the Performance cars are coming standard with the upgrade, it's less of an issue. It really should just be Model 3P, in shorthand, or P3D, I guess.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 11:55 AM   #947
rumatt
Mugwump

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
It's also complicated by the fact that none of the Model 3s have any badging yet. There will eventually be a DUAL MOTOR badge for the trunk, and for the Performance cars it will be underlined, but as of now they all just have bare asses.
A bit of a tangent.... but those badges are awful.

Who wants "DUAL MOTOR" on the back of their car?
Old 10-29-2018, 12:08 PM   #948
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Kind of reminds me of other badges that struck me as silly. Ford had a bunch of them in the 70's and 80's.

Lots of manufacturers adorned their cars with badges proclaiming "Fuel Injection" or "5-speed" or simply the size of the engine.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 12:11 PM   #949
rumatt
Mugwump

YES
Old 10-29-2018, 12:31 PM   #950
rumatt
Mugwump

One thing that worries me about the Tesla is the idea that repairs could be crazy expensive if something goes horribly wrong out of warranty.

When adding the car to my Geico policy they offered me an extended warranty.
(they call it "Mechanical Breakdown Insurance"). It's only for new vehicles.
The terms are
  • It's 7 years 100K miles (so 3 extra years and 50K extra miles above factory warranty.
  • It costs $2.66 per month (so $12/year)
  • It has a $250 deductible, but (supposedly) covers anything that goes wrong on the car other than maintenance and wear items.

I took the deal. Hopefully I won't need it, but if I do they will actually pay up.