carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 01-09-2010, 08:50 AM   #61
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
My buddy has an '08 911 Carrera S convertible.

Tiptronic.

It is zero fun to drive. And yeah, it looks weird.
I drove a friends 09 911 Carrera c4s cab with that new Automatic/manual transmission ... sounds similiar to your friends car though this new transmission is supposed to be 1000 times better.

Anyway the damn thing was incredible ... the shifts were instant, I never drove a non clutch car that shifted this amazing. It also has this crazy ass mode where it stays in the lowest gear and does not upshift until you hit redline.

It is my understanding that even automatic haters love this transmission.

BTW Don't even say it, I already agree, I would prefer a manual 911 as well
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:46 AM   #62
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
I drove a friends 09 911 Carrera c4s cab with that new Automatic/manual transmission ... sounds similiar to your friends car though this new transmission is supposed to be 1000 times better.

Anyway the damn thing was incredible ... the shifts were instant, I never drove a non clutch car that shifted this amazing. It also has this crazy ass mode where it stays in the lowest gear and does not upshift until you hit redline.

It is my understanding that even automatic haters love this transmission.

BTW Don't even say it, I already agree, I would prefer a manual 911 as well
Yeah, sounds like PDK which is light years ahead of Tiptronic.

I think JV was referring more to the fact that his friend's car was boring because it was an automatic convertible, not that the 911 in general is boring. With the right transmission it is a whole different car. And, as he was probably trying to argue, it is more "fun" in hardtop form. I'm on the fence on this one. In terms of pure handling ability, yes, but when it is a nice summer day and you can go for a fun ride on some back roads the convertible can deliver a very enjoyable experience too.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:13 PM   #63
TD
Founder emeritus

Another- http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...r_id=261965292

I really need to stop looking.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:19 PM   #64
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Vanilla 911s are boring compared to Boxsters.

Now a GT3, GT2, turbo... I can only imagine.

As far as PDK goes, I would strongly consider it for my next Porsche. Porsche's manual shifters have never given me warm fuzzies.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:30 PM   #65
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD View Post
Another- http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...r_id=261965292

I really need to stop looking.
I like that shade of blue better!
Old 01-09-2010, 10:23 PM   #66
JST

In person, the color of the car that TD originally posted is ver striking--if it's not exactly the same shade as BMW's Montego Blue, it's damn close. Unfortunately, that car also has a blue leather interior, which is not obvious from the pics. Also, I think it's sold.

As bad as the blue on blue combo is, the '01 they have that's '92 Taurus green over emerald green leather and mint green carpets is way, way worse.

The saleswoman gamely suggested that the green one wouldn't be so bad with black floormats, because then from the inside you could barely see the green. Yeah, no.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:43 PM   #67
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
In person, the color of the car that TD originally posted is ver striking--if it's not exactly the same shade as BMW's Montego Blue, it's damn close. Unfortunately, that car also has a blue leather interior, which is not obvious from the pics. Also, I think it's sold.

As bad as the blue on blue combo is, the '01 they have that's '92 Taurus green over emerald green leather and mint green carpets is way, way worse.

The saleswoman gamely suggested that the green one wouldn't be so bad with black floormats, because then from the inside you could barely see the green. Yeah, no.
I never liked the shade of Montego for some reason. I liked the lighter Estoril and the darker Lemans, Mystic, etc. that BMW has offered.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:54 PM   #68
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Ever say something along the lines of "can't stand the fucking color" and get the "oh, you could always repaint it" response?

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:35 PM   #69
Terri Kennedy
There and back again

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2003 BMW 325xiT; looking for a new fun car
Quote:
Worst BMW Individual color combo ever: Purple Haze (A24) exterior, Birch Red (630) trim, Atlantis leather in ostrich (individual, no code).

I'm amazed that BMW processed the order. I expect that several people on the production line vomited.
Terri Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:52 PM   #70
JST

Found a leftover '08 base 987. Never been titled; has something like 200 miles on it. Important options are a decent color, 18" Cayman wheels, and the sport steering wheel. They're asking 39 for it; original sticker was something like 55.

Only has 3 years of warranty on it since it has been sitting for so long, but 3 years is better than nothing.

Seems like a solid deal, especially if there's room to negotiate, but I'm not sure a non-S is really what I want...and this was more than I had in mind to pay. Reactions appreciated.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote