carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 12-13-2023, 12:45 PM   #111
JST

You’re getting it wrapped? I would have whoever is doing that buff it up as best as they can and just get it done.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 01:00 PM   #112
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
You’re getting it wrapped? I would have whoever is doing that buff it up as best as they can and just get it done.
Yup. That's the plan. Thanks.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 07:17 PM   #113
Alan
Carmudgeon

That would bother me too but at the same time the car had 100 miles on it at pick up. I would go with choice number 1 and not have it addressed further than what you did. The big picture is all of our cars get these things and I think you did a great job at filling in the chips and in a few weeks you won’t even notice it anymore.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 08:06 PM   #114
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
That would bother me too but at the same time the car had 100 miles on it at pick up. I would go with choice number 1 and not have it addressed further than what you did. The big picture is all of our cars get these things and I think you did a great job at filling in the chips and in a few weeks you won’t even notice it anymore.
Nope. Car had 19 miles at pick up. We got the new car that had never been taken on a test drive.
Old 12-13-2023, 09:19 PM   #115
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Nope. Car had 19 miles at pick up. We got the new car that had never been taken on a test drive.
Jeez then how did that happen Crazy … when we went to pick up my daughter’s first A4 I saw at delivery it had a door ding …. They happen to have an identical car so we took that one the next day but things happen … those chips are so tiny I don’t think you would notice them again unless you’re detailing the car.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 12:29 AM   #116
robg
Carmudgeon

Frustrating. But I think 1 is really the only viable option. I think 2 and 3 risk even worse outcomes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 03:53 PM   #117
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
1 for a daily driver.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 03:54 PM   #118
FC
Solving problems

Thanks guys.
Old 01-20-2024, 10:54 AM   #119
FC
Solving problems

I've been driving the Mini the last couple of nights as a means to both exercise the engine and park a nice and warm car in the back garage to help keep temps above 40F.

Notes on driving the car...

First of all, the R56 was more fun, period. Lighter, nimbler, punchier and sportier. The stick shift also helped and honestly, this car should have had a MT. I would have ordered that way myself. But it's not my car.

It is a nice car. Particularly as loaded as this is, it is in a totally different level compared to the R56. You can tell that it is what it is: a loaded BMW 2-series in Mini clothes. It feels much more premium than an R56 but not quite 3-series level. Having owned a late F80 and now F90, it's obvious that it is a BMW. The latch handle is the same on all 3 cars, for example. The hood self-supports with shocks, the switchgear, door, steering wheel, all feels premium. The UI and general tech feels (is?) 20+ years newer than on the R56.

We have the car on narrow and brand-new winter tires, so now is not the time to report on handling, but even with all that, it is clearly still a light and tossable car with zero overhangs and a good, sporty suspension. For how my wife would ever push this car, this may as well be a good porsche sportscar.

Now to the DCT and throttle. I was downright disgusted by how ridiculously low the rpms were under normal "D" mode. Rpms go to ~1100rpm the moment you back off the gas any reasonable amount. Crazy. Even manually using the paddles, which will briefly go into manual mode before going back to "D," requires around three pushes to get you to a proper gear. Annoying.

Moving it to "S" mode, things get substantially better although now a little too aggressive. Revs never go below 2krpm and shifts even in normal mode happen at 3-4krpm. But this mode was better than "D."

Then, facepalm moment. The car was in Eco mode. Going to normal mode in "D" things got better but still not fun. Probably a good setting for highway driving. Sport mode, however, fixed it (I also always drove the R56 in sport mode). Good responsiveness, default rpms in the ~1600 range, etc. These modes also affect "S" mode, making it proportionately more aggressive as well. But that is fine. If you go into "S" is because you want the car to be aggressive.

With that sorted out, I like the car A LOT more. In all, it is clearly an overpriced car, but a pretty niche car if you want what it offers (looks, packaging, and features to go with that) and are willing to pay that premium.

Last edited by FC; 01-20-2024 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-20-2024, 11:08 AM   #120
JST

That’s cool; sounds like the right car for your wife.

The shift programming thing is what has historically driven me nuts about BMW automatics—either too sleepy or too aggro, with no Goldilocks program. It was especially irritating how they would lock out top gear in sport mode—like, I want responsiveness around town but I don’t need to be hitting redline on the highway while cruising.

The X5 is mostly good in normal mode, though part of that may be the hybrid motor that works as a buffer especially at lower speeds. But I mostly don’t notice the transmission, which is about all you can hope for in an auto.

How does the programming in the Mini compare to the M5? I know they’re very different cars, but does the M5 feel more natural, less natural, or about the same in terms of shifting behavior?
JST is offline   Reply With Quote