carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 08-12-2020, 11:47 AM   #1661
IndyMike
Elected by grace

Carmudgeonly Ride: 11 1 M; 11 328iT; 22 M240ix
Time for an annual drive by posting. Now up to a whopping 37k miles on her (hold up Plaz; I'll be there with you in about 16 years at this pace .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P5241194.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	319.9 KB
ID:	12793  Click image for larger version

Name:	P5271211.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	207.6 KB
ID:	12794  
Old 08-12-2020, 11:52 AM   #1662
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMike View Post
Time for an annual drive by posting. Now up to a whopping 37k miles on her (hold up Plaz; I'll be there with you in about 16 years at this pace .
Beautiful! I know this sounds weird but I love the simplicity of the interior. No Atari like gauges and physical buttons for everything. Those days are all but gone.

Edit. I got the orange stitching as well.
Old 08-12-2020, 11:54 AM   #1663
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:

I feel the same way with my 7yo 43k mile LR4. Everyone else in that forum has 80-180k miles on their V8 LR4's. Even the latest (V6, MY2016) LR4's are >50k miles, it seems.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 01:16 PM   #1664
IndyMike
Elected by grace

Carmudgeonly Ride: 11 1 M; 11 328iT; 22 M240ix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
Good to see you Mike! Not often enough. Funny thing I have not. I’ve been for several long drives now and not noticed it. I may now since you planted the seed in my brain. Lol

How many miles are you up to on the 1M? I bet no where near Plaz’s over 100K.

Are you still loving it almost 10y later. Now that I sold the M5, besides Lip, you might hold the long term newish car ownership record.

Also VW wise. Thoughts on the new frownie face 2021 GTI?
Sorry if I made you self conscious Theo. The vast majority of people probably wouldn't notice it (myself included), but I just thought it a bit humorous that while BMW is famous for its driver-centric greenhouse, those who did notice it are probably driver eccentric. Relieved that you aren't in that crowd (so far).

Yeah, the old MKV R32 is now 13 years old as of yesterday and has just over 120k miles on the odo. I would imagine that I am finally in some rarefied aire, as other than maybe Lou and Nate not too many here have racked up over 100k miles on their steed. As for the new 2022 GTI, yeah, not really feeling the front facia.

My hangup is I really enjoy the "old" hydraulic steering rack feel, and until someone makes an identical facsimile using EPS I fear I will find myself in a time warp, where only the old school cars will do. Understandably my wife loves my current problem, and insists I totally abstain from seeking any psychiatric assistance for my snob steering condition. She actually enjoys seeing our bank accounts steadily go up in value as opposed to the car rich and cash poor impoverished state we used to live under.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
I can't believe the 1M came out a decade ago. Time flies.
Amazing isn't it? In many ways seems like yesterday. My mistake was doing an ED on my wife's Space gray E91 in 2011, and happening to see the 1 M at the Welt during pickup, and then when dropping it off at the Munich Airport where I had a long conversation with the guy who is the face of BMW Blog dropping off his VO 1 M. Obviously in his job he gets to sample every manner of BMW products, and he flat out stated the 1 M was the most fun car he has ever driven or owned. Today he still has it in his possession, which I hope is for more the driving enjoyment than any financial gain he hopes to accrue from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
Beautiful! I know this sounds weird but I love the simplicity of the interior. No Atari like gauges and physical buttons for everything. Those days are all but gone.

Edit. I got the orange stitching as well.
Yeah, the stitching is really a nice little touch isn't it. You wouldn't normally think that such a subtle addition would make any difference, but it really adds some pizzazz to what basically is an ambivalent at best interior.

I agree about the simple nature of the interior. The minimalist approach is what I am most enamored of about it. So little to distract you from enjoying what true enthusiasts cars should be all about, which is the joy of the driving experience that should be the staple of every M car. Not saying that the modern crop of M cars are not enthusiasts vehicles, just saying that the balance of sport to lux has tilted way over to the lux side of the scales. That, and with all of the nannies that have now become OEM required, just distracts and detracts from the driving experience imho. Not to mention the added weight that is commensurate with padding cars with those features. Nobody probably wants to go back 30 years to the 240 hp of the E30 M3, but deep down I think we all here wish that we could have such a type of car offered that comes close to it in weight, that can still hustle 4 people around enthusiastically in relative comfort and safety. Nobody knows if that will ever be likely, but given the current trends it's probable that I will never see it in my lifetime.

Quote:

I feel the same way with my 7yo 43k mile LR4. Everyone else in that forum has 80-180k miles on their V8 LR4's. Even the latest (V6, MY2016) LR4's are >50k miles, it seems.
I like to call them quality miles FC.

While they are certainly capable of being used in a DD capacity, it's kind of nice and a bit of an advantage to only use them on a random basis so that you don't take some of the things you appreciate them the most for granted. Being able to bounce back and forth between multiple vehicles kind of allows you to enjoy the experience a bit more that each affords.
Old 08-12-2020, 01:22 PM   #1665
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
I like to call them quality miles FC.
That's true. Just put 800+ miles spending a week in NH (thread on vacation home waffling coming). Car is filthy, but there is it with the Silver Thule in the top middle of the parking area at the summit of Mt. Washington (2nd time - last time was 2015).

The other one is at the cabin where we stayed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mt Washington.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	409.2 KB
ID:	12795  Click image for larger version

Name:	Cabin.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	578.2 KB
ID:	12796  
Old 08-12-2020, 01:34 PM   #1666
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
That's true. Just put 800+ miles spending a week in NH (thread on vacation home waffling coming). Car is filthy, but there is it with the Silver Thule in the top middle of the parking area at the summit of Mt. Washington (2nd time - last time was 2015).

The other one is at the cabin where we stayed.
Do you get much wind noise with the storage container on the roof?
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 01:53 PM   #1667
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
Do you get much wind noise with the storage container on the roof?
There is always some. But nothing objectionable past 80mph on typical days. I seldom go over 80 in the LR4 and with the box I'm pretty strict about not going over 75mph except for maybe passing. I've had that box since December of 2007 and used it on the V70R, E91, and now the LR4. Never had much of an issue.
Old 08-12-2020, 02:07 PM   #1668
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
There is always some. But nothing objectionable past 80mph on typical days. I seldom go over 80 in the LR4 and with the box I'm pretty strict about not going over 75mph except for maybe passing. I've had that box since December of 2007 and used it on the V70R, E91, and now the LR4. Never had much of an issue.
thanks
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 04:42 PM   #1669
Terri Kennedy
There and back again

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2003 BMW 325xiT; looking for a new fun car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
I'm curious to see how it runs on Leaded Gas. It was only $0.42/gallon
"COLOINAL ESSO DEALER" sign on top?

What did they do, get it from the same knockoff import shop that supplies Cracker Barrel?

The Atom would actually run on leaded gas (no cat / emissions). Had to do it at the track once when the fuel delivery was late and they ran out of street unleaded.

Speaking of fuel grades, Indiana used to be a 94 octane state, but I haven't seen any there for a long time. There's a Sunoco in Sturgis, SD that has 94 from a little before to well after bike week-and-a-half. The worst I ever saw was in front of a bar somewhere in WY or SD. Pump chained up with a sign that said "see bartender". Taped to the inside of the glass pump window was a note that said "Multiply all prices by 4" (99.9 cent max pump) which offered 85/87/89 as regular / mid-grade / premium.
Terri Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 04:16 PM   #1670
JST

Have been driving the Porsche more since I decided to use it for bike transport. Unfortunately it doesn’t fit in the trunk.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote