carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 04-22-2021, 10:55 AM   #1
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
What's it worth?

Figured I didn't need to crap up the 911 thread with Boxster stuff. A friend reached out on FB and asked if I was still thinking of selling the Boxster and I quickly typed a "no" reply before they commented that even pricing for plebian Porsches has been strong in the used market lately. I honestly had been planning to just keep the car, but this had me second-guessing that thought. Eventually used-car pricing will settle down. But if I could get a decent figure for the car today, it would leave me with enough cash to be ready when the right opportunity for the next thing (whatever it happens to be) comes along. I've driven the car twice this year.

I did a quick kbb and suggested retail came in at around $26k. I wouldn't sell the car for that. Checking on Rennlist, autotrader, etc I'm not seeing anything comparable. The closest car on carsandbids was a blue/tan '08 987.1S with 55k and it went for $24k.

I just did the 80k service (serpentine belt, filters, fluids, plugs). It's got new Michelins and the brakes are still near full thickness (I did brakes all around on the car not many miles ago) and it's sitting at 78k miles.

Exterior is very good, but not perfect. Small ding in the passenger's rear quarter panel. Small stone chips / sandblasting in the wheel wells. Front end still has clear bra, but I'd probably remove it before sale as it's got some imperfections.

Where else should I be looking to gauge value?
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 10:58 AM   #2
Nick M3
Relic

Get Carvana to quote it?

It doesn't really seem to me like it's worth enough to justify selling now for the theoretical opportunity to pick something else up in the future. What would you replace it with?

My suggestion is to drive it more. The weather is getting nice.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 11:12 AM   #3
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
Get Carvana to quote it?

It doesn't really seem to me like it's worth enough to justify selling now for the theoretical opportunity to pick something else up in the future. What would you replace it with?

Carmax does online quotes now, too. And Vroom. Not sure if those are the best places for that car, but it only takes a minute to fill out forms for all three and get numbers (but Vroom's can take a day or two).

Unless he takes the suggestion to drive it more, is the question about replacement worth asking? Given the use case and the ongoing Mazdaspeed use...Maybe the better bet is to sell the Boxster and find an older interesting car for cheap that needs work, but will be a fun and reliable daily (that is also dog-capable) after that work is completed. (A manual E34 wagon with an interesting engine choice is what first comes to mind.)

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 11:14 AM   #4
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Carmax does online quotes now, too. And Vroom. Not sure if those are the best places for that car, but it only takes a minute to fill out forms for all three and get numbers (but Vroom's can take a day or two).

Unless he takes the suggestion to drive it more, is the question about replacement worth asking? Given the use case and the ongoing Mazdaspeed use...Maybe the better bet is to sell the Boxster and find an older interesting car for cheap that needs work, but will be a fun and reliable daily (that is also dog-capable) after that work is completed. (A manual E34 wagon with an interesting engine choice is what first comes to mind.)
E39, if he's going to do that. I'm pretty sure that the E34 has slop box steering.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 11:22 AM   #5
JST

This is a better comp, though a few things--your car has more miles (which is v bad, in Porsche value-land) but is a 9A1 (good) and this was 9 months ago (values have ticked up since).

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...-boxster-s-11/

Yellow is a very specific thing, but for the right buyer I think it's a positive.

Carmax was asking high 30s for the two 987.2s I saw there recently. Both were very low mile cars, but honestly your car is probably in better shape than either of them.

All that said, I bet you could sell your car in 5 minutes at 27.5 (fuck, I'd buy it). I think you might have to be patient to get 29 or 30, but if you presented it well you could probably get there. If you put it on BaT and got the right interest, you could probably get 32.

I went through some ennui with my car, where I didn't drive and thought about selling it. Agree with Nick--the solution is just to drive it more. And put some money into the suspension, which I swear to god will make the car feel new again.

I don't think that selling it is worth it, because I can't imagine what other car is out there that can do all the things the Boxster can do (for less money).
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 11:24 AM   #6
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post

Carmax is not, because they only retail cars that are 10 years old. They'll send his car to auction. The trade in quote they gave me on my car was very fair, but it was clearly a wholesale price.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 11:36 AM   #7
John V
No more BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
Get Carvana to quote it?

Carvana didn't seem like the right place to sell it, but that's not a bad suggestion.

Marisa and I used to take this car any time we did a weekend trip, or a drive to a trailhead for hiking or climbing. That use case is kind of evaporating given we have a dog that we'll end up taking on most of those trips. I'm being indecisive about a replacement for it so it doesn't keep sense to pay insurance on something that isn't getting used. I'd just throw the cash from the sale into our investment accounts until I found something to replace it.

Maybe not the most cohesive plan at this point, but I'm no FC (That's not meant to be a criticism)
Old 04-22-2021, 08:33 PM   #8
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
It’s always easy to imagine selling a loved car when you are not driving it. Drive it, and that feeling evaporates.

That said, if you are planning to take your dog everywhere, I’d start looking for an e46 M3C...You could deal with something high mileage with your skills, which should close the delta between the Porsche sale and the BMW buy.

In a pinch, I jammed two dogs in my 2006...With good performance snow tires on it, it was a very decent year-round daily driver.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 08:36 AM   #9
John V
No more BMWs

It's honestly a little frustrating, because I do love the car. I just don't love it for daily commuting, and if it's not being used on the weekends either, then what's the point?

I appreciate the suggestion, but I'm actually not really a convertible person, and I'm really not an E46 M3 fan. I just don't think they drive that well (though all of their problems are fixable with liberal application of money). It is a good thought for a year-round daily driver but I can't see myself buying one.
Old 04-23-2021, 10:27 AM   #10
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
You sound like me with my turbo
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote