carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 10-15-2016, 12:12 PM   #1
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Well, I'm looking at NC Miatas.

Spoke with my wife and as a result of a combination of factors, we have agreed that I can get a sub $15k roadster to try out for a couple of years as a trial period to get a good idea of the kind of use the car will get. If it does make sense, I can upgrade to a used 987S/981S (or ND Miata) later. That also allows a full budget to get an (ED) M3 or similar if I decide to go that way in spring of 2018.

I'm ok with this, especially considering the light use it will get. I expect running costs and depreciation to be minimal.

I did a bit of reading and apparently you can find an NC with heated seats (important for me to get decent use out of it), but they are rare.

Of course, I found this one, which I really, really like. It is a rare, cool color and it is loaded with all the good stuff including HID lights, heated seats, LSD, sport suspension, etc.

Problem is that it is near Memphis. Ugh. Hypothetically, would you buy a used car sight unseen? I suppose the local Mazda dealership could do a thorough inspection, but still.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 02:43 PM   #2
Alan
Carmudgeon

I purchased a few cars site unseen ... some I can remember are the NSX, the boxster and an S2000

Just make sure you have them checked out first though the truth is I didn't have any of them checked out by a third party.

You can usually get a good feel from the person your dealing with, if you find you have discomfort with the seller then go to the next car.

Good luck with your search
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 04:46 PM   #3
jpgurl
Carmudgeon

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 MACH-E; '74 Austin Mini
hmmm...
jpgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 04:47 PM   #4
FC
Solving problems

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/5787543043.html

Found this local one. Has a few dents and more wear and tear, and more miles. Also, a boring color. The dual sets of wheels/tires leads me to think it has been driven hard perhaps at the track/AutoX - I'd have to ask.

I am being picky about wanting a GT with soft-top, MT, and suspension pkg.

I might go check this one out before I get serious.
Old 10-16-2016, 10:03 AM   #5
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
The dual sets of wheels/tires leads me to think it has been driven hard perhaps at the track/AutoX - I'd have to ask.

I am being picky about wanting a GT with soft-top, MT, and suspension pkg.

I might go check this one out before I get serious.
This is for a "trial period," right? For this kind of car, for the kind of use you anticipate, and the price range you're looking at, so what? As long as no major wreck and no major work needed, even if you overpay, when you get out, it'll be hard to loose so much that it really makes a difference.

Also, if you go cheap and messed up enough, when you get to the end of the trial period, turning it into a dedicated track car or a fun project car becomes a real option. Is anyone doing LS conversions in NCs yet?

Seriously, if I were you, I'd jump on the first one optioned the way I want it that doesn't have known or easy to spot/feel issues and not think about it. I'd also look local considering the time of year and anyone selling is likely to be pretty motivated.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 10:44 AM   #6
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Clyde, I think FC enjoys the negotiation with significant other, optimizing, perseverating, planning, (including spec'cing a used car - if there is such a thing) as much as the driving or ownership. I say this as perhaps it goes for me as well, but I think FC is more scientific about it.

He likes to *think about it*.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 11:08 AM   #7
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Clyde, I think FC enjoys the negotiation with significant other, optimizing, perseverating, planning, (including spec'cing a used car - if there is such a thing) as much as the driving or ownership. I say this as perhaps it goes for me as well, but I think FC is more scientific about it.

I think we all do it...and enjoy it a bit, but yeah, some more than the rest of us.

Mostly, I was trying to put the track/project car idea in his head to give him further options to think about.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 02:02 PM   #8
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
This is for a "trial period," right? For this kind of car, for the kind of use you anticipate, and the price range you're looking at, so what? As long as no major wreck and no major work needed, even if you overpay, when you get out, it'll be hard to loose so much that it really makes a difference.

Also, if you go cheap and messed up enough, when you get to the end of the trial period, turning it into a dedicated track car or a fun project car becomes a real option. Is anyone doing LS conversions in NCs yet?

Seriously, if I were you, I'd jump on the first one optioned the way I want it that doesn't have known or easy to spot/feel issues and not think about it. I'd also look local considering the time of year and anyone selling is likely to be pretty motivated.
I'm with you on all of that, which is why I'll go check it out.

EDIT: And yes, I would likely do some AutoX/track events on this car (time permitting).

Last edited by FC; 10-16-2016 at 02:22 PM.
Old 10-16-2016, 05:48 PM   #9
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Unlike the rest of us who make decisions swiftly
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 10:00 AM   #10
FC
Solving problems

OK, I drove the local Miata yesterday. My observations:

The car looked very sharp from afar. Front bumper had a fair number stone chips and other minor blemishes. It does have 80k miles, so I think if I adjust my expectations, it really is OK. It does have two dents. A small (but sharp and deep) dent in the front left quarter panel just ahead of the driver's door, and an inch-long dent with a scratch at the top of the front right wheel arch (as if a tall truck opened it's door on it). Similarly, the interior is in great shape other than a very worn shifter and wheel (leather). Also, the guy used way too much armorall or similar and the whole interior of car felt way too shiny and slippery.

The car itself looked really clean mechanically. The guy had all (few) records since he bought it. All fluids were done 25k miles ago right after he bought it. It idled great and brakes looked newish. No visible rust, all equipment I played with worked well. He swears the car is bone stock other than the new Hawk brake pads and an adjustable front sway bar (currently set at "150% but can go to 200% from stock"). He says he never drove it in winter.

The interesting part was the drive. It was unfortunate that he lives near the city (Waltham) and those who know Boston can imagine that it is tough to test a sports car on uneven, narrow, residential streets with cars parallel parked all around. The car felt surprisingly raw, direct, firm and flat. Could it be that the LR4 and eGolf have made me forget what a sports car is like? Maybe, but after talking to him (youngish, professional guy), he said the sway bar fixes the roll/lean issue, which I still remember from NC test drives a decade ago. Clutch seemed fine, although I had more trouble getting smooth shifts than I expected. The gas pedal had a longer travel and more resistance than anything I've driven in a while.

The car was appropriately loud, revved nicely, and overall felt like a raw sportscar. This surprised me in a good way. A weekend toy should be a bit of an event. He also had the car shod with Potenza RE-71's, and it's quite possible that they make a bigger difference than I expected.

The only thing I found odd was that when coasting there was a speed-related sound (mostly, although I thought I could feel it as well) as though there was rubbing or some kind of friction. He claimed to be unaware and blamed the aggressive tires (if so, then they are at least out of balance). I hope that is not some bigger issue (like the LSD). Under power you coudl nto feel or hear it.

He claims to have done 12 AutoX with SCCA, and while he swears no tweaks other than the sway bar, I find that hard to believe. That doesn't bother me - the car feels extra sporty (a bit harsh actually) and that is a plus to me given what I want out of it. But I wonder if it was driven a bit too aggressively. They are supposed to be rock-solid, so that should not bother me.

I plan on asking to see the car again during the day and with my wife and in the meantime I'll see if I can drive another NC with the LSD to see if that sound is normal and to have another recent reference car to compare it to in general. He is gone this weekend, so that probably means we'll see it the last week of October.

What do you guys think?

Link below (again):

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/5787543043.html