carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 03-28-2004, 12:28 PM   #21
ayn
gone riding...

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2024 Tesla Model Y LR
Cool, Jimmy and I drove the STi yesterday, and the salesman did not come with us!

I guess we'll try to go test out the R32 maybe next week! oh yeah baby!

--Andrew
Old 03-28-2004, 12:40 PM   #22
TD
Founder emeritus

When I went over to the Mitsu dealer, I did not see an Evo on the lot anywhere. But when I did a quick walking lap around a Lancer OZ, I concluded that the Lancer was just too damn ugly to seriously consider, regardless of the mechanicals underneath the Evo version. I looked at my M3 and at the Lancer and got back in my M3 without ever speaking to a salesman.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 12:49 PM   #23
ayn
gone riding...

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2024 Tesla Model Y LR
That's too bad, after driving the Evo and the STi, Jimmy and I both like the Evo better. You should seriously locate one for a test drive, just for fun. :smile:

I didn't think they would allow testdrives on the R32, but you managed to get one, Jimmy said a guy at Toadfly got a testdrive also, so I guess I'll hang out at vwvortex and get a hookup to test drive one, probably at Hewlett in Georgetown coz Charles Maund is a bunch of idiots.

Jimmy saids according to a track junkie friend of his, who has a highly modified E36 M3, the Evo8 is in a totally differnet league, and it will "put a hole" in the M3 any day, any time, stock!!

--Andrew
Old 03-28-2004, 12:55 PM   #24
TD
Founder emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt
OK, I'm not getting something here. To summarize:

R32 is better than the M3, and the M3 is better than the ZHP. (better defined as what makes you happy)

However, the fact that the R32 is more expensive to lease than the ZHP means the R32 must be crossed off your list.

I think you secretly want a ZHP.
The R32 is not better, just different and not particularly inferior.

You can argue about whether I'm crazy for wanting AWD, but, this time around, I want AWD.

The R32 is a baby S4 with better clutch/shifter feel and a firmer suspension. It's refined and comfortable and attractive. And fast.

The ZHP is way overpriced for what it is as well (although the incentivized lease terms do help) and the idea of getting another E46 just strikes me as silly at this point.

But before I pull the trigger on anything new, I'll need to drive a ZHP again. Too bad Steve's is not still available.
Old 03-28-2004, 01:06 PM   #25
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD
Quote:

R32 is better than the M3, and the M3 is better than the ZHP. (better defined as what makes you happy)

However, the fact that the R32 is more expensive to lease than the ZHP means the R32 must be crossed off your list.

You can argue about whether I'm crazy for wanting AWD, but, this time around, I want AWD.

The R32 is a baby S4 with better clutch/shifter feel and a firmer suspension. It's refined and comfortable and attractive. And fast.

The ZHP is way overpriced for what it is as well (although the incentivized lease terms do help) and the idea of getting another E46 just strikes me as silly at this point.

But before I pull the trigger on anything new, I'll need to drive a ZHP again. Too bad Steve's is not still available.
I'd be really interested to hear your impression of a non-2001 E46 330 with beefy sways and a stiff suspension... like mine.

I'm pretty sure you'd like it much better than any stock E46 setup, ZHP or not. Whether it would address enough of your "once bitten twice shy" concerns, I don't know, but it would be interesting to hear your feedback nonetheless.
Old 03-28-2004, 05:52 PM   #26
Nick M3
Relic

So, I have to wonder about this: If you took the lightweight flywheel out, would you be happier with your M3?

It seems like all this stems from a desire for a smoother, more pleasant car to drive on a daily basis. How much of that desire comes from the effort it takes to drive a car with an LTW flywheel?
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 05:56 PM   #27
TD
Founder emeritus

Can't you just let someone desire something new and different without breaking it down to this level. The LTW flywheel does not make the car any more difficult to drive. If anything, it makes it easier.

JST summed it up nicely once (and I thought you were there when he did). Basically, this car has turned me into an automotive hypochondriac. I'm always wondering if it's pulling to a side or if I'm noticing a shimmy or shake or hearing some odd noise. I never am, but the thought process is slowly driving me mad.

If I buy anything, I want a new car I can drive the piss out of and give back. Also, one I'll not be tempted to mod because it's not mine.
Old 03-28-2004, 06:06 PM   #28
Nick M3
Relic

OK, I'll accept that.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 07:52 PM   #29
ZHPhil
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD
Quote:

But Phil's is available to drive

Name the time and place. I want your feed back, as well as Nick's/Clyde's on my now finished SSK/knob/clutch stop set up. Hell you can do a pre and post sway test drive while we are at it :smile:
ZHPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 10:15 PM   #30
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD
Can't you just let someone desire something new and different without breaking it down to this level. The LTW flywheel does not make the car any more difficult to drive. If anything, it makes it easier.

JST summed it up nicely once (and I thought you were there when he did). Basically, this car has turned me into an automotive hypochondriac. I'm always wondering if it's pulling to a side or if I'm noticing a shimmy or shake or hearing some odd noise. I never am, but the thought process is slowly driving me mad.

If I buy anything, I want a new car I can drive the piss out of and give back. Also, one I'll not be tempted to mod because it's not mine.
Yes, I know exactly how you feel. Owning that M3 was driving me batshit--from worrying about shimmies to obsessing about miles to constantly checking the radiator neck and subframes for signs of cracking to adding "just one more" mod in the hopes that it would make it perfect.

I liked that car a lot. There are times when I am said that it is gone. But it is such a relief to have a car that is under warranty and is not constantly at risk of having some major (or even minor) thing go wrong with it.

I knew that I had to act when I started driving the GTI because it didn't stress me out as much as driving (and worrying about) the M3. I have a much healthier relationship with my current car, even if (or perhaps because) I'm not really attached to it.
JST is online now   Reply With Quote