Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 03-27-2004, 07:32 PM   #11
TD
Founder emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Match.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD
-In the limited lane change exercise I tried (with a salesman in the car), I noted more body roll than I'd want.
Did he let you go around turns?
What turns there were. I had to make my own. It is sort of urban around here. And I was still being kept to a limited drive.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 07:47 PM   #12
nate
Oh, are they?

Carmudgeonly Ride: S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD
-In the limited lane change exercise I tried (with a salesman in the car), I noted more body roll than I'd want.
What turns there were. I had to make my own. It is sort of urban around here. And I was still being kept to a limited drive.
So, you basically "REALLY liked it" based on the interior and flooring it in a straight line.

hmmm...
nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 09:02 PM   #13
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD
So, you basically "REALLY liked it" based on the interior and flooring it in a straight line.

hmmm...
So no opportunity to evaluate torque steer?
Old 03-27-2004, 09:03 PM   #14
TD
Founder emeritus

It's AWD. There was no torque steer.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 09:04 PM   #15
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD

Kids, that's just silly. I'm not paying MORE for a car that cost $15K less.

But before I get a ZHP, I'll just keep my E36.

Thanks for nothing.

Grrr....
Wow... that's silly. I ran a few numbers to verify the often-ficticious bmwusa.com numbers, and using the current programs, you can get the ZHP you described for $565/month plus tax, assuming a measly $500 discount, and using the buy-rate. You'd have to come up with your 1st payment, security deposit, and acquisition fee upfront. Or, roll them in, and you're still at under $590/month plus tax, and you only need to pay your 1st payment plus title/reg fees upfront.

Why anyone would chose a much cheaper VW for the same price is silly. Does anyone know what kind of rates/residuals VW is using on that car? I'm assuming they're using regular residuals, and their highest money factor, just like BMWFS uses on their "hot" cars like the M3s.
Old 03-27-2004, 10:52 PM   #16
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

My goodness, the lease payments on the R32 are just ridiculous!

Then again, when you're comparing them against favorable lease programs on some BMWs, a lot of leases don't make much sense. A thinly optioned 325iT can go for a touch over $250/month for two years, 15k/year. I highly doubt that a compact wagon (Mazda3, Vibe, Focus, etc) would lease for much under $200 for the same term.
blee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 10:54 PM   #17
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

BTW, while you liked the car, I still don't think the R32 is a good deal. Your lease scenario confirms that somewhat, but even comparing sticker prices, I can't justify spending that much for what amounts to a faster AWD Golf.
blee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 12:10 AM   #18
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD

Kids, that's just silly. I'm not paying MORE for a car that cost $15K less.

But before I get a ZHP, I'll just keep my E36.

Thanks for nothing.

Grrr....
Wow... that's silly. I ran a few numbers to verify the often-ficticious bmwusa.com numbers, and using the current programs, you can get the Performance Package you described for $565/month plus tax, assuming a measly $500 discount, and using the buy-rate. You'd have to come up with your 1st payment, security deposit, and acquisition fee upfront. Or, roll them in, and you're still at under $590/month plus tax, and you only need to pay your 1st payment plus title/reg fees upfront.

Why anyone would chose a much cheaper VW for the same price is silly. Does anyone know what kind of rates/residuals VW is using on that car? I'm assuming they're using regular residuals, and their highest money factor, just like BMWFS uses on their "hot" cars like the M3s.
The residuals quoted to me were .61 for 24 months and .55 for 36. I didn't get into MFs.

My suspicion is that there is going to be some flexibility in R32 leasing rates; based on the number sitting on lots around here, I am not sure that they are selling all that well.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 12:44 AM   #19
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
OK, I'm not getting something here. To summarize:

R32 is better than the M3, and the M3 is better than the ZHP. (better defined as what makes you happy)

However, the fact that the R32 is more expensive to lease than the ZHP means the R32 must be crossed off your list.

I think you secretly want a ZHP.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 01:54 AM   #20
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt
I think you secretly want a ZHP.