Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgurl
Quote:
Originally Posted by that U2 nutjob
you don't have kids
yet.
He's talking about kids. Assuming Irish twins (as opposed to the other kind ) and full term pregnancies, that's still at least 19 months in the future for him and his wife. And as long as there's room for the child seats, you don't need all that much room to put kids in the car until they have a couple years under their belts....so say 3.5 years minimum until he "needs" that big ass SUV or other environmentally, politically incorrect behemoth to tote around a couple of whiney rugrats. Of course, he also has no actual concept of what he will need then. Right now, and for the foreseeable future it's just him and his fat ass bitch. They ought to get themselves outfitted with what they need now and let the future take care of itself. If what they have at some future point doesn't meet their needs at that point, then they reconfigure the family fleet. I still don't understand why the idea of children even factors into his thought process about cars when he doesn't have any visible on the horizon and they aren't planning on trying to change that any time soon. :roll:
That is pretty much what we are doing. We're getting something cheap with some semblance of cargo that will get us through shitty roads and crappy winters. It so happens that that vehicle may very well accomodate a child. But when things require us to get something else, we will. We can't carry anything in either of the current cars nor comfortably get through Canadian winters.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 07:48 PM   #102
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbr129
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgurl
Quote:
Originally Posted by that U2 nutjob
you don't have kids
yet.
He's talking about kids. Assuming Irish twins (as opposed to the other kind ) and full term pregnancies, that's still at least 19 months in the future for him and his old lady. And as long as there's room for the child seats, you don't need all that much room to put kids in the car until they have a couple years under their belts....so say 3.5 years minimum until he "needs" that big ass SUV or other environmentally, politically incorrect behemoth to tote around a couple of whiney rugrats. Of course, he also has no actual concept of what he will need then. Right now, and for the foreseeable future it's just him and his fat ass bitch. They ought to get themselves outfitted with what they need now and let the future take care of itself. If what they have at some future point doesn't meet their needs at that point, then they reconfigure the family fleet. I still don't understand why the idea of children even factors into his thought process about cars when he doesn't have any visible on the horizon and they aren't planning on trying to change that any time soon. :roll:
That is pretty much what we are doing. We're getting something cheap with some semblance of cargo that will get us through shitty roads and crappy winters. It so happens that that vehicle may very well accomodate a child. But when things require us to get something else, we will. We can't carry anything in either of the current cars nor comfortably get through Canadian winters.
there are 2-seaters with airbag defeats (and 405hp) that can carry dogs or, in your case, children.

who says you can't have your cake and eat it, too?

even better is that your wife would have to ride on the roof or stay at home.

ha ha ha ha.

sorry, i meant "fiancee".

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 08:18 PM   #103
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming
sorry, i meant "bitch".
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 09:00 PM   #104
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Here's my idea, FWIW.

TD, I suggest you dump your M3 and your wife's 323cic and replace them both with a late-model, CPO'd E46 M3cic (perhaps leased).

They're coming down in price substantially. This scenario gets you a car under warranty, one that has something to offer yours doesn't (gobs of horsepower), a convertible for your wife that will hold both kids, and something pretty to look at with a modicum of luxury.

There will be the usual E46 compromises (DBW, clutch-feel, etc). But it will still feel like somewhat of a step up, which helps staunch the regret of selling cars you like.

It's a great balance with the Saab.

And it keeps you in our little Bimmer family.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 09:01 PM   #105
wdc330i
dogged

Gee. I'm sure I wrote "wife" and not "old lady." You rascals!
Old 03-29-2004, 09:04 PM   #106
The HACK
Crotchety

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD
For some stupid (and I mean that) reason, I am pondering Mr. Wu package E46, 2 door.
You know what YOU need? Trade in the Mrs' 323Cic for a Z4 3.0. You KNOW you want it.

• SEMA 2004 • Leadership Matrix has been passed, Ricemus Prime Lives!!!
The HACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 09:12 PM   #107
wdc330i
dogged

Doh! Hit the old lady button again!
Old 03-29-2004, 09:20 PM   #108
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
And each of the rest of the NCC will be standing in line to take a shot as well.
It would be kind of hipocritical of me to take part aranoid:

And I might have a 2dr E46 available in a couple months that is more in your price range
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 04:43 PM   #109
ARCHER
Crotchety

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD
JST summed it up nicely once (and I thought you were there when he did). Basically, this car has turned me into an automotive hypochondriac. I'm always wondering if it's pulling to a side or if I'm noticing a shimmy or shake or hearing some odd noise. I never am, but the thought process is slowly driving me mad.
And all this time I thought it was just me.

My M3 has been in the garage for roughly ten months and yes, I love the thing. However, I too find myself wondering what that noise was, or did I just feel something strange throught the brake pedal? Has the vibration from the shifter always felt like this? I swear it feels different somehow. I smell fuel... is it me? And like you said, it always turns out to be nothing or it turns out to be someone else's car making noise, etc.

Why can't I just relax and enjoy the damn car?

I hate to admit this - especially since I spent longer looking for the car than I have owned it, but thoughts of something new have been in my head for several weeks now. ops:
Old 04-01-2004, 04:47 PM   #110
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARCHER
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD
JST summed it up nicely once (and I thought you were there when he did). Basically, this car has turned me into an automotive hypochondriac. I'm always wondering if it's pulling to a side or if I'm noticing a shimmy or shake or hearing some odd noise. I never am, but the thought process is slowly driving me mad.
And all this time I thought it was just me.

My M3 has been in the garage for roughly ten months and yes, I love the thing. However, I too find myself wondering what that noise was, or did I just feel something strange throught the brake pedal? Has the vibration from the shifter always felt like this? I swear it feels different somehow. I smell fuel... is it me? And like you said, it always turns out to be nothing or it turns out to be someone else's car making noise, etc.

Why can't I just relax and enjoy the damn car?

I hate to admit this - especially since I spent longer looking for the car than I have owned it, but thoughts of something new have been in my head for several weeks now. ops:
wow. i thought it was just me. but i used to be exactly like that. i had such an awful experience with a pristine 911 and it used to be just like that the entire time.

basically waiting every single drive for the next thing to fail --knowing it would always be serious money.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote