carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 02-09-2022, 01:46 PM   #501
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Although the look of a leather dash is nicer, I might be weary of ordering that in a convertible if the car is a long term keeper. Just seems like leather dashes eventually have issues with shrinkage, fading, etc.
I think you mean "wary" or "leery" but not "weary" ... but anyway, not in my experience. And both of my cars spent a lot of time outside (i.e. not in a garage). Granted I used a sunblocker in both cars when they were parked, but not religiously. I also used a leather conditioner with UV protectant. But again, not religiously. Both cars' dashboards looked new throughout my ownership.

FC, your post confuses me but maybe I'm not reading correctly. You say the dashboard isn't nice enough without leather, but the GTS package doesn't include a leather dash. Rather, it forces you to add another $2k for full leather on top of the GTS package.

You're definitely a full pitcher deep into the Porsche pricing Kool-Aid if you think that's a good deal
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 01:52 PM   #502
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I think you mean "wary" or "leery" but not "weary" ... but anyway, not in my experience. And both of my cars spent a lot of time outside (i.e. not in a garage). Granted I used a sunblocker in both cars when they were parked, but not religiously. I also used a leather conditioner with UV protectant. But again, not religiously. Both cars' dashboards looked new throughout my ownership.

FC, your post confuses me but maybe I'm not reading correctly. You say the dashboard isn't nice enough without leather, but the GTS package doesn't include a leather dash. Rather, it forces you to add another $2k for full leather on top of the GTS package.

You're definitely a full pitcher deep into the Porsche pricing Kool-Aid if you think that's a good deal
Not true. It includes plenty of extra leather. Basically, it's the full leather pkg with some items in fuzz, and I believe with extra fuzzy bits that would not come in leather even with full leather, but not sure about the last part.

GTS Package contents from the website:

Includes in Black Smooth-Finish Leather:

Dashboard upper section with Carmine Red stitching
Steering wheel airbag module
Instrument shroud with Carmine Red stitching
Door panel upper sections with Carmine Red stitching
Center console side sections with Carmine Red stitching
Seat bases
Seat bolsters with Carmine Red stitching
Seat headrests with "GTS" logo embroidered in Carmine Red
Side portions of center console storage compartment lid with Carmine Red stitching

In Black Race-Tex:

Dashboard lower section including glove compartment
Steering wheel rim
Gear lever/selector
Seat centers
Door grab handles with Carmine Red stitching
Door center panels with Carmine Red stitching
Door panel armrests with Carmine Red stitching
Top portion of the center console storage compartment lid

Additional Elements with the GTS Interior Package:

Tachometer in Carmine Red
Floor mats with leather edging and deviated stitching in Carmine Red
Interior trim in Carbon Fiber
FC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 01:57 PM   #503
John V
No more BMWs

That's not correct. In the configurator, if you add the GTS package, it has this note:

Note: Only available in conjunction with Leather/Race-Tex GTS Interiors. Contrasting colors: Chalk or Carmine Red.

When you add the GTS package, it requires that you add one of those interior configs. Doing so adds another $2k on top of the GTS package. Pull up the configurator and try it for yourself.
Old 02-09-2022, 03:04 PM   #504
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
That's not correct. In the configurator, if you add the GTS package, it has this note:

Note: Only available in conjunction with Leather/Race-Tex GTS Interiors. Contrasting colors: Chalk or Carmine Red.

When you add the GTS package, it requires that you add one of those interior configs. Doing so adds another $2k on top of the GTS package. Pull up the configurator and try it for yourself.
I stand corrected. That's pretty stupid.
Old 02-09-2022, 03:07 PM   #505
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
I stand corrected. That's pretty stupid.
It is, but if you look at the cost of "normal" deviated stitching as an option, it's also crazy expensive. I imagine that there is a fair amount of production complexity added by deviated stitching, more so than just the normal leather panels, so while I wouldn't pay $3K for it, I'm not sure it's as outrageous as it might seem to charge that much for it.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 03:14 PM   #506
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
It is, but if you look at the cost of "normal" deviated stitching as an option, it's also crazy expensive. I imagine that there is a fair amount of production complexity added by deviated stitching, more so than just the normal leather panels, so while I wouldn't pay $3K for it, I'm not sure it's as outrageous as it might seem to charge that much for it.
Yeah.

The argument for going full leather+custom stitching is now stronger since the GTS pkg is not giving you the stitching for nearly as good a deal as I thought.

I'll have to take a closer look this weekend. I just don't love the interior colors and all black is kinda boring.
Old 02-09-2022, 03:20 PM   #507
John V
No more BMWs

Someone in this thread posted their config with Gentian Blue exterior and an Espresso natural leather interior. I don't know that I'd like it in person, but in the configurator tool it looked OK.

I'd definitely like deviated stitching (maybe gray or white) with the black interior but I'm not $3k interested in it. And I agree none of the other interior colors are interesting to me. Black will always look good and is easy to maintain.
Old 02-09-2022, 04:03 PM   #508
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
my only first hand experience comment is the natural leathers (whether espresso or espresso cognac) are significantly higher quality compared to the standard black and tan interiors. (At least on the 991.2) the natural leather interior also adds significantly more leather on places like the dash, door panels, etc. In the 991, the standard plastic door panels are known to delaminate where as the leather ones don't.

If you throw Espresso or Espresso Cognac into the discussion you'll get a much nicer product for the money.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 04:19 PM   #509
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
No comments on how it mixes with race tex... Both of my new caymans (06 S and 15 GT4) were partial leather. It was fine. The current boxster (13) is full leather and that is better; it's also softer leather and less vinyl-y. I'm not sure how I would spec if I were go to new, but I certainly like the full leather.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 06:25 PM   #510
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Yeah.

The argument for going full leather+custom stitching is now stronger since the GTS pkg is not giving you the stitching for nearly as good a deal as I thought.

I'll have to take a closer look this weekend. I just don't love the interior colors and all black is kinda boring.
This looks like a good set of pics of the GTS "base" interior (i.e., with RaceTex seat centers, armrests, and door pulls but nothing on the rest of the interior). It's a 2018, but I don't think it's changed that much. That's Miami blue, BTW, which is not shark blue.

I actually like it better than the "GTS package," because it's not as fuzzy.

https://www.momentummotorcars.com/us...80/#details-20

This is the GTS package, for comparison

https://finder.porsche.com/ca/en-CA/...reowned-1LN5OX

You can add leather to the dash either with RaceTex seat centers (in which case the glove box and underside of the dash are fuzzy), or simply opt for a leather interior (which makes the underside of the dash and glove compartment leather rather than fuzzy). Either is $2160 for black. The beige or red two tone leather is $2500.

Espresso is nice but $3700.

I like Carmine/Espresso, it's an elegant look, but that's $103K in my spec, which...no.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote