carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 11-23-2019, 09:05 PM   #31
JST

It's an adjustment going back to any powerful N/A engine after getting used to a turbo. I like the Porsche because it's so fucking smooth in its inputs; you can drive it harder than the BMW without feeling like it's jerking around as much.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 09:35 PM   #32
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Just handed it in. The Turo rental worked out fantastically (thankfully nothing happened to the car, so it was easy).
I wanted to get a few days of driving in before posting my impressions.

The car was interesting. It is definitely pretty to look at. Overall driving impressions, I found it very similar in feel to my friends 987.2 that I've spent a lot time in. The chassis is excellent, the ride and suspension tuning is really good. Not harsh at all, just very well contolled over bumps and flat while handling. Not sure what seats it had, but they were manual. They fit my wife and I well, and we had no issues fitting comfortably. Ergonomics were pretty good, the shifter was probably too high compared to the seat base, but it was OK. Some of the switch gear feels really cheap (especially the lid on the center console, the turn signals, and the steering wheel). Visibility was fine for me when driving forward. I had no problem with the mirrors eliminating blind spots (I think we only drove with the top down). Backing up was pretty tough, I was surprised it had no back up camera or sensors. Storage was great, two travel bags up front and plenty of space in the back.

Steering was good, I wouldn't call it revelational, but good. Shifter was very bolt like, I enjoyed rowing the gears. Clutch was fine, but more touchy than what I'm used to. You sit really low in the chassis. That took some time to get settled into, but it does grow on you. It makes it a little more difficult to get in and out, but it engulfs you in the car when you're in it.

The engine was *fine*, it needs more low end torque. I'm sure the exhaust didn't help, but it took a lot more work to get the car to feel fast, than I would prefer for a street car. I expected more. The nice thing about that was it settled into lower speeds on the highway than either my 1er or x5 prefer. I was totally OK cruising at 65-75 in this car, while in my 1er it feels slow below 80.

Maybe it is because of how high a bar Porsche reviews (both on here and in the car mags) sets expectations, but I really expected to be blown away by it. I wasn't. I found it comparable to my 1er. I think the engine in the 1er is a lot more tractable in normal driving, maybe I just like Clydesdale Horses more than Racing Thoroughbreds.

I'm very curious to check out a 718s with the turbo 4. Most likely a 991.2 Cab is the next car for us. A nicely optioned 981s isn't out of the question. I really did enjoy it, I just expected it to be more special.

I think it speaks to how good the 1er is/was, it is a shame there isn't more love for it.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 10:43 PM   #33
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Nice writeup.

Once you get used to low end torque it's hard to go back
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 08:28 AM   #34
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Its funny, I drove my 1er for the first time this morning since the 981... I guess I got used to the boxster, because things feel very different. I used to think the heights of the seat base to arm rest to shifter were all just right. Today I felt I like I was sitting up really high and the shifter was super tiny and way down low. I'm sure I'll adjust back, but you definitely get familiar with what your exposed to.

I did enjoy getting some low end torque back. I will agree that the P-Car steering feel is better, but the 1er isn't bad. Chassis control on the P-Car is the car's strong suit IMHO compared to everything else I've driven.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 08:32 AM   #35
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
Chassis control on the P-Car is the car's strong suit IMHO compared to everything else I've driven.
Yes, that’s really the key.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote