carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 09-08-2018, 04:31 PM   #11
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Kennedy View Post

On my initial trip across the country, my official "end of the trip" point was parking in front of the Empire State Building:

There was this grumpy overweight cop (as you can see in the picture) who decided to try giving me a hard time. But since I was already parked, that doesn't count as "pulled over". And he just told me to leave or he'd claim I was creating a "security incident".
Gotta love NYC ... where else do you see an Atom pulled over in front of the empire state building !!!
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:51 AM   #12
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
Gotta love NYC ... where else do you see an Atom pulled over in front of the empire state building !!!
Is this a trick question?
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 10:28 AM   #13
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:42 PM   #14
Alan
Carmudgeon

Got pulled over today again in a Porsche... jeez these cars are too fun ... I was in the cayman and traffic came to a stop so I decided to cross the line after the 2 cars in front of me did and go into the hov lane which has only certain places you are allowed to go into it .. I was completely wrong for doing it and didn’t realize that in the hov lane the second car behind me was a cop, of course he pulled me over watching the whole thing and didn’t bother the 2 people in front of me who did it first.

I was calm and told him as soon as he approached the window I knew exactly what I did wrong, he started to tell me Alan pulled a knuckle head move doing that (yes he talked in the 3rd person) and how The Porsche is so small it I could have had an accident and the other cars that did it are big .... he also questioned my PBA card and I explained it was from my brother in law.

When he left my car to do whatever they do I immediately called my brother in law and told him I was pulled over and as i’m talking to him the cop calls him which I watching in the rear view mirror and thinking ok this a relief... because once they call the chance of a ticket is low.

The next thing I know is he comes to my window and hands me my stuff back without my PBA card and tells me how I now need to ask my brother in law for a new card and explain why knuckle head Alan made a mistake and needs a new card,

He said I could give you 5 tickets for what you did and I’m just giving you a warning. He must have mentioned the word Porsche multiple times which was weird but I find this whole thing so very weird. They all want their families protected from getting to tickets yet they take your card away when you do something wrong

It’s a weird punishment thing they do and it is really to each other ... strange as shit yes I need to get a new card but they are also making their fellow police officer feel shitty because the card that could save their family is now being used ... all I could say is it’s strange ....
Old 12-12-2019, 09:50 PM   #15
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Got pulled over today again in a Porsche... jeez these cars are too fun ... I was in the cayman and traffic came to a stop so I decided to cross the line after the 2 cars in front of me did and go into the hov lane which has only certain places you are allowed to go into it .. I was completely wrong for doing it and didn’t realize that in the hov lane the second car behind me was a cop, of course he pulled me over watching the whole thing and didn’t bother the 2 people in front of me who did it first.

I was calm and told him as soon as he approached the window I knew exactly what I did wrong, he started to tell me Alan pulled a knuckle head move doing that (yes he talked in the 3rd person) and how The Porsche is so small it I could have had an accident and the other cars that did it are big .... he also questioned my PBA card and I explained it was from my brother in law.

When he left my car to do whatever they do I immediately called my brother in law and told him I was pulled over and as i’m talking to him the cop calls him which I watching in the rear view mirror and thinking ok this a relief... because once they call the chance of a ticket is low.

The next thing I know is he comes to my window and hands me my stuff back without my PBA card and tells me how I now need to ask my brother in law for a new card and explain why knuckle head Alan made a mistake and needs a new card,

He said I could give you 5 tickets for what you did and I’m just giving you a warning. He must have mentioned the word Porsche multiple times which was weird but I find this whole thing so very weird. They all want their families protected from getting to tickets yet they take your card away when you do something wrong

It’s a weird punishment thing they do and it is really to each other ... strange as shit yes I need to get a new card but they are also making their fellow police officer feel shitty because the card that could save their family is now being used ... all I could say is it’s strange ....
Still pretty disgusted by the PBA card thing.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:57 PM   #16
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Still pretty disgusted by the PBA card thing.
Not sure why ... is it that it gets people out of tickets ?
Old 12-12-2019, 10:11 PM   #17
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Not sure why ... is it that it gets people out of tickets ?
That you don't understand why kinda makes it worse.

There is something fundamentally wrong with a situation where law enforcement treats people differently based on who their friends and family are as opposed to how they behave.

In fact, it's fucking revolting.

I'm not pointing a finger at you or blaming you for taking advantage of something available to you. It's wrong that it exists.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 12:02 AM   #18
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
That you don't understand why kinda makes it worse.

There is something fundamentally wrong with a situation where law enforcement treats people differently based on who their friends and family are as opposed to how they behave.

In fact, it's fucking revolting.

I'm not pointing a finger at you or blaming you for taking advantage of something available to you. It's wrong that it exists.
I agree. It makes a segment of the population “above the law.”
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 12:05 AM   #19
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
If I had one, I'd use it.

I also think it's awful that it exists.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 04:42 AM   #20
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
I've heard that if the violation is minor, the PBA card gets you off. If it's "major", they take it. If they cost money or are valuable in other ways (limited numbers), it has become a ticketing/revenue system for the PBA that is set up upstream of the state laws. I wouldn't be above using it if I had access but I also think it's an awful 'system'. Your ticket depends on whether you have PD in your family? WTF? Some kind of 'justice'. I wonder if it's a NY/NJ/CT area thing or if it's across the whole country...

As for AF, at least you had the card. Sounds like the "porsche" drew his attention and full desire to punish. Similar happened to me exactly once in more than ten years of driving porsches. I was very much singled out while driving like every other aggressive NJ driver that was in front of me (I hardly do so anymore) but I was in a red cayman.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote