Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 06-02-2020, 02:47 PM   #81
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
That car does have heated seats

Edit: never mind, misread your reply - realize now you meant this car does have them, unlike another one you had seen earlier without
Exactly!
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 05:46 PM   #82
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
So, all the used cars I'm finding are flying off the shelves. It's pretty crazy.

Latest find in NC. A low-mileage RWD 2011 3 wagon. Nothing special on it, but no terrible privations either (like no seat heaters):

https://www.rickhendrickbmw.com/used...c67cc5eb38.htm
These seem like a good choice; no turbos and I think the later N52 engines are pretty solid. Friends of ours bought one of these in the fall and love it so far. Love the saddle interior.

Nice to have idrive as it allows you to upgrade to a later system should you decide to do so. And even if you don't, by this point idrive as we now know it had taken shape and was pleasant to use. Even the voice recognition wasn't half bad. Also, for some reason, I find e90 generation seats to be the most comfortable (more so than e46 and F30). And, lastly, I personally found the ZF 6 speed so much nice in daily driving than the 8 speed that replaced it. Damn- i almost want to buy this thing now
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 06:05 PM   #83
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
These seem like a good choice; no turbos and I think the later N52 engines are pretty solid. Friends of ours bought one of these in the fall and love it so far. Love the saddle interior.

Nice to have idrive as it allows you to upgrade to a later system should you decide to do so. And even if you don't, by this point idrive as we now know it had taken shape and was pleasant to use. Even the voice recognition wasn't half bad. Also, for some reason, I find e90 generation seats to be the most comfortable (more so than e46 and F30). And, lastly, I personally found the ZF 6 speed so much nice in daily driving than the 8 speed that replaced it. Damn- i almost want to buy this thing now
Perfect car for your son to learn on in 2 years also. We couldn't have asked for a better car to get the girls through highschool and college and be a winter beater for us than our e46 wagon. Only downside is red, but on the e90 cars the awd model road very rough. I'm sure you'd prefer not, but snows are a cheap and easy fix on a car like that.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 06:34 PM   #84
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
Perfect car for your son to learn on in 2 years also. We couldn't have asked for a better car to get the girls through highschool and college and be a winter beater for us than our e46 wagon. Only downside is red, but on the e90 cars the awd model road very rough. I'm sure you'd prefer not, but snows are a cheap and easy fix on a car like that.
Yep. That was the exact setup on my RWD E91. I had a second set of OEM wheels with winter tires (well, "performance winters" for largely dry Maryland.) My car had the sport suspension, but at this price I think I could skip it--as I could keep the 2. I'm sure it will be gone before I stop dithering (or Rob will buy it!)
Old 06-02-2020, 06:59 PM   #85
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Yep. That was the exact setup on my RWD E91. I had a second set of OEM wheels with winter tires (well, "performance winters" for largely dry Maryland.) My car had the sport suspension, but at this price I think I could skip it--as I could keep the 2. I'm sure it will be gone before I stop dithering (or Rob will buy it!)

Ha didn’t realize you’d owned one of these previously

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 07:20 PM   #86
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Ha didn’t realize you’d owned one of these previously

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep. I had a 2012 MSport E91 for five years. Wish I still had it. Sold it when we had the fleet of two convertibles and an SUV. Perfect arrangement, until the divorce. Best laid plans...

Also, had Josh’s wagon: A 2003 325xiT, and a 530xiT. I am a wagon fan.

Edit: Our E91 wasn’t a true MSport, because we opted out of the aero package and steering wheel, because you lost the heated steering wheel function in the M wheel back then. But it did have sport suspension. FC’s was the best spec of that era—also a stick.

Last edited by wdc330i; 06-03-2020 at 08:39 AM.
Old 06-03-2020, 08:08 AM   #87
zach
swinging for the fences

Carmudgeonly Ride: 987, X7 M60i, e36 M3
Quote:
Yep. I had a 2012 MSport E91 for five years. Wish I still had it. Sold it when we had the fleet of two convertibles and an SUV. Perfect arrangement, until the divorce. Best laid plans...

That 530xiT is still going strong! My dad very rarely drives (few times a year), but every once in a while we need a second real car for something and I borrow it. I'm always amazed by how nicely it handles and the comfy seats.
zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 08:38 AM   #88
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach View Post
That 530xiT is still going strong! My dad very rarely drives (few times a year), but every once in a while we need a second real car for something and I borrow it. I'm always amazed by how nicely it handles and the comfy seats.
Good to hear! Those remain the best seats ever.
Old 06-03-2020, 08:51 AM   #89
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:

Edit: Our E91 wasn’t a true MSport, because we opted out of the aero package and steering wheel, because you lost the heated steering wheel function in the M wheel back then. But it did have sport suspension. FC’s was the best spec of that era—also a stick.
E91 M-Sport was a good car. The 997TT falling on my lap put to bed any idea of holding it as my car. But it was a bit too small for being THE family car, a bit too slow for being my primary/fun car, and the crazy-good lease deal made the residual not all that attractive. I turned it in in as-new condition with only 18k miles.

It was a good car. A bit slow, too quiet, and forgettable interior were the primary gripes. But that car really showed what a great wagon the 3er is. Really wish they made an M. Would have absolutely bought that instead.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 10:11 AM   #90
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post

It was a good car. A bit slow, too quiet, and forgettable interior were the primary gripes. But that car really showed what a great wagon the 3er is. Really wish they made an M. Would have absolutely bought that instead.
Agreed on all points. Although the size/utility would be perfect for me now. I may be insane, but I'm sort of thinking about test driving an X3M.

Apparently there is a glut of them out there and the deals bring them within shooting range of the X3M40, which are very hard to find well appointed.