carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 03-16-2021, 10:27 AM   #1
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I went to school in a relatively affluent area but parents buying new cars for their kids wasn't really a thing. One girl drove a 4th-gen V8 camaro (the first one I ever saw in the wild, actually.. they had just been released when I was a sophomore) that her parents bought her but the rest of us either drove shit cars we bought ourselves or got a hand-me-down Hondas and Toyotas.

I get that I'm not a parent and so my opinion on this subject is meaningless and it does make sense for kids who need a car to have something safe and reliable. Stability control, blind-spot warnings, maybe some lane-keeping kind of stuff. But buying a new luxury car for a 16-year old just kind of makes me shake my head. I always felt like luxury items were what you bought when you had worked hard and could afford to reward yourself.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 11:52 AM   #2
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
I am actually having a related discussion with my wife. I grew up in a affluent area which was similar to what you guys described, kids getting fancy cars, while she grew up in a lower income area.

For our boys first car, her perspective is why wouldn't we buy a car for them since we can afford it but I want them to earn it/have buy in. My older son is about to turn 15 so we will see how this works out.
Jeff_DML is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 09:37 PM   #3
Terri Kennedy
There and back again

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2003 BMW 325xiT; looking for a new fun car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
For our boys first car, her perspective is why wouldn't we buy a car for them since we can afford it but I want them to earn it/have buy in. My older son is about to turn 15 so we will see how this works out.
I had to buy my first 3 cars unassisted, and my parents wouldn't add me to the family car insurance until I had shown I was responsible enough (in my father's view, this was by fixing an inoperable car to the point where it would pass DMV inspection). My first 4 cars were:
  • 1965 BelAir sedan, black. 1974-1974. Got it for free from a friend because it needed a ring job, which at the shop was more than the car was worth. Rebuilt the engine but missed something and it grenaded after a few thousand miles.
  • 1965 Impala station wagon, green. 1974-1976. Got it for free for towing it out of the field where a friend's parents had abandoned it. Did an auto-to-manual swap and put in a 427 V8. Sold it to a mechanic I knew who ran it in a demolition derby - twice -to pay for the Charger.
  • 1966 Charger Fastback, gold/brown. 1976-1977. Did an engine swap to get it running. Stolen.
  • 1977 Toyota Corolla, silver. (new) 1977-1979. Loan co-signed by my father if I got my own insurance. Car was $4600-ish, payment was $123.39/month after downpayment on a 36-month finance. Was run off the road by a maniac and totalled.
Terri Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 11:52 AM   #4
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Kennedy View Post
I had to buy my first 3 cars unassisted, and my parents wouldn't add me to the family car insurance until I had shown I was responsible enough (in my father's view, this was by fixing an inoperable car to the point where it would pass DMV inspection). My first 4 cars were:
  • 1965 BelAir sedan, black. 1974-1974. Got it for free from a friend because it needed a ring job, which at the shop was more than the car was worth. Rebuilt the engine but missed something and it grenaded after a few thousand miles.
  • 1965 Impala station wagon, green. 1974-1976. Got it for free for towing it out of the field where a friend's parents had abandoned it. Did an auto-to-manual swap and put in a 427 V8. Sold it to a mechanic I knew who ran it in a demolition derby - twice -to pay for the Charger.
  • 1966 Charger Fastback, gold/brown. 1976-1977. Did an engine swap to get it running. Stolen.
  • 1977 Toyota Corolla, silver. (new) 1977-1979. Loan co-signed by my father if I got my own insurance. Car was $4600-ish, payment was $123.39/month after downpayment on a 36-month finance. Was run off the road by a maniac and totalled.
I've had a thing for charger fastbacks since that movie "big fish". Pretty cool looking cars.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 05:00 PM   #5
Terri Kennedy
There and back again

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2003 BMW 325xiT; looking for a new fun car
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
I've had a thing for charger fastbacks since that movie "big fish". Pretty cool looking cars.
One of the most appealing things to a teenager was the flip-down panel between the passenger compartment and the trunk. Good for bhiding eer and people (at drive-in movies).
Terri Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 02:58 PM   #6
Alan
Carmudgeon

We decided today to order the X3, My wife, youngest daughter and I went to the dealer and looked over the interior trims and made our decision after literally going through one car after the other in their lot where they keep the new cars.

It was fun and the decision has been made, will be sending the final build to my salesman on Monday and the car will be ordered.

Delivery should arrive right before my daughters 17th birthday.

She is so excited and so are we, it really is a beautiful SUV.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 05:40 PM   #7
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
We decided today to order the X3, My wife, youngest daughter and I went to the dealer and looked over the interior trims and made our decision after literally going through one car after the other in their lot where they keep the new cars.

It was fun and the decision has been made, will be sending the final build to my salesman on Monday and the car will be ordered.

Delivery should arrive right before my daughters 17th birthday.

She is so excited and so are we, it really is a beautiful SUV.
4cyl or i6? Let me know how you like it. We are 99% in the e wagon for our next car, but the 1% remains next x3 m40
Fyi, there is a pretty major lci comkng on the x3s in July if you can wait.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 03:44 PM   #8
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Quote:
I am actually having a related discussion with my wife. I grew up in a affluent area which was similar to what you guys described, kids getting fancy cars, while she grew up in a lower income area.

it is coming up fast, so what is everyone with currently driving kids doing?

Pay for car or part of it? pay for gas? pay for insurance? Need to have job? certain grades? etc

TIA
jeff
Old 05-20-2021, 05:34 PM   #9
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
it is coming up fast, so what is everyone with currently driving kids doing?

Pay for car or part of it? pay for gas? pay for insurance? Need to have job? certain grades? etc

TIA
jeff
Curious also. My daughter is 14 and will be permit eligible next Jan.

My parents had the kids pay our share of insurance once we had a car. I got a job to afford that.

I’ve done a cursory look at used car pricing since we likely need a 3rd car once she’s driving…. Thinking about a Leaf…
Old 05-20-2021, 05:39 PM   #10
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
My parents had the kids pay our share of insurance once we had a car. I got a job to afford that.
.…
not sure my kids can afford that even with a job from what I heard insurance is going to be for them