carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 01-31-2021, 03:28 PM   #51
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Watched the Chris Harris, Doug DeMuro and Matt Farah drives of the Taycan. It was the top model, but these are folks that have driven all the teslas and all sorts of exotics. I've never seen their faces melt like this upon acceleration. The rest of the package seems solid as well; all three said right away "it's a porsche". That means something... It also looks good, in and out. No doubt appealing, though the rear & luggage space are behind tesla.

The biggest obstacle is that number, 5100lbs. I don't see how I could justify that. I guess if I were in the market in that price range, loved the drive, I might. But at this point, I have no use case for this reasonably attractive EV. The piped in Jetsons sound is atrocious though. Ugh.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 05:31 PM   #52
robg
Carmudgeon

Base Taycan announced (RWD/80k). Anyone intrigued?

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Watched the Chris Harris, Doug DeMuro and Matt Farah drives of the Taycan. It was the top model, but these are folks that have driven all the teslas and all sorts of exotics. I've never seen their faces melt like this upon acceleration. The rest of the package seems solid as well; all three said right away "it's a porsche". That means something... It also looks good, in and out. No doubt appealing, though the rear & luggage space are behind tesla.

The biggest obstacle is that number, 5100lbs. I don't see how I could justify that. I guess if I were in the market in that price range, loved the drive, I might. But at this point, I have no use case for this reasonably attractive EV. The piped in Jetsons sound is atrocious though. Ugh.

Watched those guys reviews as well. Farah went as far as calling it a 4 door cayman which is a bit hyperbolic. The 4s is about 4770 pounds and the RWD model is 4560 (with the smaller battery). The turbo s is the heavy one at 5100. A base panamera is around 4200 I think

I think if you kept the msrp to around 90k (base plus 10k), got the federal tax credit and a few k discount from the dealer it starts to look almost reasonable atleast compared with some other mid size German luxury sedans. And for the same price within the Porsche lineup (talking 4 door vehicles) your other choice at the same price woukd be a macan gts. The base taycan woukd still outperform it and in terms of practicality it’s not like the macan is all that roomy. I think it’s entirely possible that the taycan would be more fun to drive than any automatic 6 cyl turbo German sedan or suv. Looks better too

Tesla will always post more impressive specs at a lower price but that’s how it’s always been comparing high performance American cars with eurooean. C8 corvette and 911, hellcat charger vs m5, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by robg; 01-31-2021 at 07:30 PM.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 09:38 PM   #53
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:

Batteries are heavy. Just keep in mind that they are positioned down low in the Taycan and in Teslas. I haven't driven a Taycan yet, but the low center of gravity in a Tesla really helps hide the weight (well, at least most of the time)..

Interesting that the Taycan is heavier than a Model S though (~140lb heavier than dual motor Model S)... The Model 3 is about 900lb lighter than the Model S and is a lot better to drive...
Old 02-02-2021, 01:50 PM   #54
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
Batteries are heavy. Just keep in mind that they are positioned down low in the Taycan and in Teslas. I haven't driven a Taycan yet, but the low center of gravity in a Tesla really helps hide the weight (well, at least most of the time)..

Interesting that the Taycan is heavier than a Model S though (~140lb heavier than dual motor Model S)... The Model 3 is about 900lb lighter than the Model S and is a lot better to drive...
The regular 4S (closer in spec to a "long range" model s), with the larger batter weighs just under 5k I think, so a bit closer to the Tesla's weight. Still, it does seem that Porsche could've done a bit better on weight mgmt. The trite answer is that the Porsche will feel more solidly built with a higher quality interior-- but still. In reality, I wonder how many Tesla fans would buy the Porsche or vice versa. My guess is that there actually wont be a lot of cross-shoppers (other than people who are just curious). I think the Lucid Air vs Model S/X will be more likely to be cross-shopped. You and JST would likely be the types of people (enthusiasts who have owned both brands) to potentially cross over (not saying that either of you are interested in the Taycan).
Old 02-02-2021, 01:52 PM   #55
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
The regular 4S (closer in spec to a "long range" model s), with the larger batter weighs just under 5k I think, so a bit closer to the Tesla's weight. Still, it does seem that Porsche could've done a bit better on weight mgmt. The trite answer is that the Porsche will feel more solidly built with a higher quality interior-- but still.
Build quality adds weight.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 11:58 AM   #56
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Haven't watched yet, but Motoman posted his video this morning on the "base" Taycan (albeit a pre-production VIN)...

(Give it clicks today -- he earns more in the first ~48 hours after posting a video...)
Old 02-03-2021, 01:39 PM   #57
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
Haven't watched yet, but Motoman posted his video this morning on the "base" Taycan (albeit a pre-production VIN)...

(Give it clicks today -- he earns more in the first ~48 hours after posting a video...)
Just watched it! Pretty thorough review and definitely worth watching. Some highlights:
-It's a Porsche first, EV second. Loves the steering (this one was eqipped w/ the rear steer option however).
-Feels "fast" just not "rip your face off" like the Turbo S.
-His favorite Taycan so far, since its the lightest its the best "drivers car"
-Brakes sometimes have an "on/off" type feel that he's noticied in other taycans as well.

My own thoughts:
-Even in this horrbile color and base wheels it still manages to look good. A testament to the design i think.
-His test car was loaded with a bunch of ridiculous options (like a 6K sport design pkg and 4k of leather) that pushed the price to 106k
-His test car had air suspension and rear steering. Would like to see a review of the base suspension and steering setup.
Old 02-03-2021, 03:16 PM   #58
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Seriously, WTF is up with that color? Am having trouble clicking if I'm going to keep my lunch down.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 03:40 PM   #59
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I find motoman really kind of unbearable to watch, but I am going to watch this one later purely out of curiosity about this particular car.

The color and the wheels are terrible, though. Porsche is really talented at making their base wheels heinously ugly so you'll pay the absurd price for the optional ones.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 06:09 PM   #60
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Seriously, WTF is up with that color? Am having trouble clicking if I'm going to keep my lunch down.
Seems like this must be the "launch color" for the RWD car. Every review seems to feature a taycan in this color. Even worse is they seem to be configured with purple interiors as well. Maybe it's Porsche's way of trying to subliminally hint to people not to actually buy the base model. . I guess some people will be able to score REALLY good deals on ex press fleet Taycans in a few months.