carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 02-15-2019, 01:39 PM   #61
dan
redefined

I do know a guy that has one and absolutely loves it. I believe the big selling point is basically getting a spin class instructor in your own home, plus the screen that will simulate going on outdoor rides
Old 02-15-2019, 01:46 PM   #62
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Riding a bike inside while staring at a screen simulating an outdoor ride sounds really depressing to me.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 01:47 PM   #63
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
So you're the only person I know who has bought one of these. Can you explain to me what the appeal is? Not the appeal of a stationary bike in general, but the Peloton specifically? It seems bonkers expensive to me, and is obviously marketed towards a very well-off clientele, but I genuinely don't understand what the purpose of it is above and beyond just a bike trainer.
I had a stationary bike (like a spin bike) which I was using pretty much every day, but the thing about the Peloton is that it a) gives you metrics by which you can easily measure your workouts, and more importantly b) it provides you with a means to challenge yourself and hold yourself accountable.

If that challenge/accountability thing isn't necessary or useful for you because you have the discipline to do it on your own, the Peloton is unnecessary and a waste of money. For me, though, I've found that my efforts and workouts are a lot harder/more efficient with the Peloton than they were with the stationary bike.

I generally prefer real biking, and would rather actually get out and ride than sit in the basement. But the Peloton gives you a way to stay in shape when the weather's bad, or to do 20 or 45 min during the week, rather than taking the 2+ hours you need to get a good ride in.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 01:48 PM   #64
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Riding a bike inside while staring at a screen simulating an outdoor ride sounds really depressing to me.
Yes, it will do this, but it's not the best implementation, because the speed of scenery change isn't linked to pedal speed.

The spin classes are it's killer app. It's not a substitute for riding outside, though. It's a supplement.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 01:51 PM   #65
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I had a stationary bike (like a spin bike) which I was using pretty much every day, but the thing about the Peloton is that it a) gives you metrics by which you can easily measure your workouts, and more importantly b) it provides you with a means to challenge yourself and hold yourself accountable.

If that challenge/accountability thing isn't necessary or useful for you because you have the discipline to do it on your own, the Peloton is unnecessary and a waste of money. For me, though, I've found that my efforts and workouts are a lot harder/more efficient with the Peloton than they were with the stationary bike.

I generally prefer real biking, and would rather actually get out and ride than sit in the basement. But the Peloton gives you a way to stay in shape when the weather's bad, or to do 20 or 45 min during the week, rather than taking the 2+ hours you need to get a good ride in.
yeah it looks like indoor strava
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 02:24 PM   #66
John V
No more BMWs

To be fair, spin classes look like hell also
Old 02-15-2019, 02:56 PM   #67
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
This '68 Corvette isn't my cup of meat, but if Clyde were feeling bored...

https://jalopnik.com/at-4-500-would-...lle-1832618976
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
If it had a title and I didn't have driveway decorations...
Fuck. I hate you. I really didn't need this right now.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 03:06 PM   #68
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Training on a bike indoors is mental torture. Anything to help distract you and trick you into putting down power is a good thing.

The most common (non-peloton) method is to buy a) a stationary trainer and b) a power meter for your bike.

This allows you (or your coach) to structure your your indoor workout with sets, such as 10 x 3 minutes at 275 watts with 1 minute rest. It's similar to the idea of a spin class, but without the screaming cheerleader / instructor. Sets with shorter, higher intensity intervals are much easier mentally when indoors than long steady-power rides, yet still very effective at improving your bike fitness.

The nice thing about the power meter route is that you can also use it outside every time you ride your bike. Even if you're not doing structured training, it's still fun to have. You can use it as a guide while you ride (eg, "Last time I tried this hill at 300 watts and I hit the wall before I made it to the top. Let me try 280 watts this time and see what happens"). You can also ignore it while you ride, but analyze the data afterward. The software produces some really neat graphs that help you track your progress over time.

I'm a big fan of power meters on bikes. They're a lot of fun, particularly if you're a numbers weenie.

Of course, nothing's stopping you from having both the peloton and getting a power meter for the bike!

Last edited by rumatt; 02-15-2019 at 03:22 PM.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 03:07 PM   #69
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Fuck. I hate you. I really didn't need this right now.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 05:20 PM   #70
John V
No more BMWs

We own an elliptical. My wife really likes it. To me it's to be used on days where it's 1) too cold to go running or biking, B) Raining or III) there is enough snow or ice that I don't feel safe running or biking. It's fine. We have a TV in front of it. I typically watch one of my favorite shows on YouTube, or MT On demand, etc. The thought of doing an exercise while some fitness instructor yells at me to go harder or faster makes me want to kick things.