carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 04-08-2019, 07:31 PM   #91
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Congrats.

What is this "key" thing you are mentioning?

And I like Tesla's approach to the fob hacking -- you can optionally enable a PIN to be input on the screen in order to start the car. Annoying to live with, but it does prevent easy theft (assuming you don't just do "1234" or "1111" for your pin!
Old 04-09-2019, 09:07 AM   #92
Biggins
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 22 Tiguan, 11 328i
Any photos yet? I'm curious about the rear legroom too on the CX-5. It definitely had less legroom than the CR-V when I was looking, but I didn't rule it out because of that. The RAV4 definitely seemed to have more space with the seats down than the others in the class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Yeah and the Toyota probably doesn’t need an engine out service every few years, either.
Unless it's a Toyota branded as a Scion with Subaru guts.
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 09:25 AM   #93
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggins View Post
Any photos yet? I'm curious about the rear legroom too on the CX-5. It definitely had less legroom than the CR-V when I was looking, but I didn't rule it out because of that. The RAV4 definitely seemed to have more space with the seats down than the others in the class.

Unless it's a Toyota branded as a Scion with Subaru guts.
Or if your Toyota is really a BMW. With a BMW engine.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 11:57 AM   #94
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
I got tired of waiting for more pics so I just looked up this car, wow I am surprised ... Toyota did a really nice job on the styling !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggins View Post
Any photos yet?
I kinda don't get the interest in pics. It's a Camry platform based CUV/SUV. It's a new version of something that's been around for a while, so I guess there's that. I'll see if I can something this evening.

For the styling in general, Toyota made it look more like the 4Runner. The front end is pretty aggressive in that "LOOK OUT!!! I'M AN SUV!!!! GTFO OF MY WAY!!!!" kind of sense, but it's a little more subdued when the car is black.

Quote:
I'm curious about the rear legroom too on the CX-5. It definitely had less legroom than the CR-V when I was looking, but I didn't rule it out because of that. The RAV4 definitely seemed to have more space with the seats down than the others in the class.
The last gen RAV4 Hybrid gave up some cargo room for the batteries and motor, losing about three cubic feet, and its rear seats don't fold all the way flat. Stowed, they sit at an angle and behind their bases, there is an angled protrusion that runs the width of the cargo area and is about four or five inches deep that sort of creates a ramp to the rear seat backs.

The current gen's seats fold flat in the hybrid and both regular and hybrids have the same cargo dimensions. Behind the rear seats, the hybrid has has a little more than the last gen's and the regular has a little less. With seats down, they both have less than the old versions.

2018 cubic feet behind rear seats / with seats folded
regular 38.4 / 73.4
hybrid 35.6 / 70.6

2019 cubic feet behind rear seats / with seats folded
both 37.5 / 69.8

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 09:50 PM   #95
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Is RAV4 Camry platform? Does the hybrid have a spare tire?
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 09:56 PM   #96
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Is RAV4 Camry platform? Does the hybrid have a spare tire?
It and the new Camry are both on Toyota's new TNGA-K platform.

It has a compact spare.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 04-09-2019, 09:59 PM   #97
clyde
Chief title editor

It now has 232 miles and the computer says it's averaged 41.0 MPG.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 06-09-2019, 09:42 PM   #98
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
My wife just texted that Carmax offered $3,000.
Two months later, they offered $3,000 again today and I took it.

The car was driven on a couple very short trips soon after that, then was moved in the driveway twice more, but basically sat for the last two months. On the drive to Carmax this morning, the brakes felt more like they were offering suggestions to vehicle speed, they pulsed badly in time with wheel rotation, and the car shuddered when applying them more firmly. The dash was lit like a Christmas tree. The 12 mile drive to Carmax was spent worrying the car wouldn't make it.

Based solely on buy/sell prices and not accounting for maintenance, repairs, gas, insurance, etc, it was the lowest cost vehicle we've had since leaving California in 2001 at $0.14/mile and only the 325xiT and 2000 Altima SE cost less on a monthly basis, the Altima noticeably so, and the BMW barely so.

My wife really grew attached to it, but knew it was time to say goodbye. I liked it, too, but even at a little more money than a new base Outback, the Rav4 Hybrid is a much better fit. (I still can't get comfortable with saying teh words.)

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 06-09-2019, 09:42 PM   #99
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
It now has 232 miles and the computer says it's averaged 41.0 MPG.

42.4 MPG on regular unleaded

SMH

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 06-10-2019, 03:51 PM   #100
clyde
Chief title editor

First potential issue?

Discovered on the interwebs today that there seems to be a common issue with the 2019 RAV4 Hybrid where people can't put more than 10 gallons of gas into what's supposed to be a 14.5 gallon tank no matter how low they run them down. And it seems to not be "up to 10" as much as "10 gallons goes in."

Some people say they can put in two or more gallons after the auto shut off, but get scared about overfilling. A few have had their cars in for service because of it and Toyota engineers have come in to look at the cars.

Wonder if there's a TSB or recall in the future. Or if Toyota put smaller tanks in than the specs. I asked my wife and she says "10 gallons every time."

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?