carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 08-26-2018, 09:36 AM   #1231
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
Looking good Clyde, just curious are you getting paid for all those advertisements on your car ? How does that whole thing work ?
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 10:36 AM   #1232
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
We should charge team WTF dues and use them to pay for events where you display the logos.

Your car does look awesome decked out like that.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 02:43 PM   #1233
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Looking good Clyde, just curious are you getting paid for all those advertisements on your car ? How does that whole thing work ?
Some are required, some are for contingency programs, some are from companies owned by friends, and some are for fun.

SCCA and Tire Rack are required. SCCA is the sanctioning body and Tire Rack is the title sponsor of the Solo events. There's no direct payout for anything, but you can't run National events without them.

Contingency programs pay out money, product credit, product, or some kinda of combination if you meet program requirements and place high enough. One of the program requirements is always having their stickers/decals on the car.

The ones for friends companies are not in exchange for anything, but I want to support when and where I can.

The ones for fun are, uh, for fun. One of hte decal pairs shows how some of that works...

Last year, someone in our community paid someone else in our community that owned a window tinting and car graphics company to make a bunch of decals as an inside joke making fun of someone else in our community that plays off the name of a company owned by a good friend of his (the one the joke is being made of) that is also part of our community. Anyone outside the community wouldn't have any idea what it's about.

I paid for the Team WTF?! decals (same friend mentioned above).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
We should charge team WTF dues and use them to pay for events where you display the logos.

Your car does look awesome decked out like that.
Thanks. At least three more decal pairs will go on in Lincoln.

The Team WTF?! decals are pure Team WTF?! I sent the wrong files to be printed and my shitty application skills left them riddled with bubbles. This will be fixed for next year.

There's an element of fun putting all the crap on the car. It's just good humor and silly. Getting everything on for our National Championships is similar to getting dressed up for a big personal or professional event and putting on your best watch and cufflinks.

When the car is also your daily driver, it also comes with a bit of feeling like a douchebag on the morning commute or when you and your wife are going out to a show in the evening. But that's also countered, somewhat, when you're in the driveway or out in the neighborhood and even running into neighbors in the Safeway parking lot. The men all kind of look at the car with an expression of "I wish my wife would let me do that."

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 06:03 PM   #1234
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I like the look, Clyde.

Here's mine. Same as always.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180825_142542.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	4.04 MB
ID:	11929  
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 07:26 PM   #1235
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post

When the car is also your daily driver, it also comes with a bit of feeling like a douchebag on the morning commute or when you and your wife are going out to a show in the evening. But that's also countered, somewhat, when you're in the driveway or out in the neighborhood and even running into neighbors in the Safeway parking lot. The men all kind of look at the car with an expression of "I wish my wife would let me do that."

I just showed my wife the picture . . . She likes the look of your car! But also said "don't get any ideas"

I reminded her our Focus already looks funny enough due to the Blue Ox tow set up sticking out of the front grill.

I do have a race car style battery disconnect that I bet you don't have, mounted under the cowl near the drivers side wiper arm. Ford says that when towing 4 wheel down, I need to disconnect the battery
Old 08-26-2018, 07:27 PM   #1236
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Oh, and best of luck in Omaha
Old 08-26-2018, 08:07 PM   #1237
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
The Team WTF?! decals are pure Team WTF?! I sent the wrong files to be printed and my shitty application skills left them riddled with bubbles. This will be fixed for next year.

TeamWTF!
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:07 PM   #1238
Alan
Carmudgeon

Almost sold my car but decided not to ... I just couldn't let it go, the guy was really cool and loved it ... I've had this car almost 4 yrs and the price he wanted to pay was only $12,500 less than I paid ... least expensive car I ever owned
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	R8 pic 1.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	11942  Click image for larger version

Name:	r8 pic 2.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	11943  
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:19 PM   #1239
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Almost sold my car but decided not to ... I just couldn't let it go, the guy was really cool and loved it ... I've had this car almost 4 yrs and the price he wanted to pay was only $12,500 less than I paid ... least expensive car I ever owned
It is a beauty. My e39 m5 was the same re: cheapest car I ever owned and near zero depreciation.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 06:45 PM   #1240
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M

Still doin' okay...