carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2008, 11:26 AM   #1
FC
Solving problems
 
FC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: '15 eGolf, '13 LR4, '11 Miata
Location: Greater Boston
Posts: 20,685
MCS/P-car waffling

First, questions for Fil (or anyone else):

-I assume there are still no news on ED for Mini's, right? Man, that sucks. ED on an MCS would be just PERFECT. There is no way to do a ghetto ED either, right? Like an under-the-table ED. I suggested to MINI to offer ED through BMW's Munich center. They didn't say much in response.

-16" wheels come only with RFT's, right? If I go 17" can I get summers from the factory? If so, are they any good?



Ok, now just general waffling talk.

On the MCS/ZHP front:

I've grown more comfortable with the thought of replacing the ZHP with an MCS. A big contingency is that we like the MCS A LOT, but psychologically, I'm growing more OK with the idea (though I'm sure I'd miss it for sure, especially since we'd no longer have a sedan). This could happen as early as this Fall since I could take $$$ from the ZHP sale and use it for our remodeling (which is growing in scope thanks to a "rip the band-aid and do it all (indoors) at once"). The remodeling won't be a pretty bill, but hopefully the house will.

On the sportscar front:

After much waffling and drooling over a potential early 997S, I think one of my earlier plans still works. The 997S is too much money just now, and a 996 is too much money for an older car that is going to look/feel very outdated soon without the upside of the "classic" look. 996TT is bad for both reasons. Also, the utility of the 911 won't be fully realized just yet. Finally, a 911 (997 or 996) makes too much of a statement to family, friends, and co-workers.

So, I'm back to a 987S. A 986S (or even S2K) is not out of the question, but dammit, I want to treat myself after all this waiting, so I'm going to assume a 987S.

If I go 987S, the smart thing to do is to wait until after Xmas and through the winter time. Rumor is the new 987S is out this Fall/next spring, so waiting until spring time may not be a bad move either. I could:

-Go nuts and buy a new one through ED. This is silly because we're talking ~$60K, I may not keep this car very long, and I wouldn't drive it that much. But the thought of driving my "latest-and greatest" custom-built Porsche in Europe is very tempting. Not likely though.

-Find a good deal on a '07, 3.4L 987S. Seeming more likely.

-Look for an '05 3.2L 987S.

The (very nebulous) thought is to replace this car after 3-5 years with a used (by then '09+) 997S.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:30 AM   #2
Plaz
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M; '08 MCS; '02 325iT
Location: Churzee
Posts: 17,302
I don't think you can get non-RFTs from the factory on any BMW product now... it's either RFT all-seasons, or RFT summers.

I chose the former.
__________________
2011 1M
Plaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:30 AM   #3
JST
195
 
JST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 20,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
First, questions for Fil (or anyone else):

-I assume there are still no news on ED for Mini's, right? Man, that sucks. ED on an MCS would be just PERFECT. There is no way to do a ghetto ED either, right? Like an under-the-table ED. I suggested to MINI to offer ED through BMW's Munich center. They didn't say much in response.

-16" wheels come only with RFT's, right? If I go 17" can I get summers from the factory? If so, are they any good?



Ok, now just general waffling talk.

On the MCS/ZHP front:

I've grown more comfortable with the thought of replacing the ZHP with an MCS. A big contingency is that we like the MCS A LOT, but psychologically, I'm growing more OK with the idea (though I'm sure I'd miss it for sure, especially since we'd no longer have a sedan). This could happen as early as this Fall since I could take $$$ from the ZHP sale and use it for our remodeling (which is growing in scope thanks to a "rip the band-aid and do it all (indoors) at once"). The remodeling won't be a pretty bill, but hopefully the house will.

On the sportscar front:

After much waffling and drooling over a potential early 997S, I think one of my earlier plans still works. The 997S is too much money just now, and a 996 is too much money for an older car that is going to look/feel very outdated soon without the upside of the "classic" look. 996TT is bad for both reasons. Also, the utility of the 911 won't be fully realized just yet. Finally, a 911 (997 or 996) makes too much of a statement to family, friends, and co-workers.

So, I'm back to a 987S. A 986S (or even S2K) is not out of the question, but dammit, I want to treat myself after all this waiting, so I'm going to assume a 987S.

If I go 987S, the smart thing to do is to wait until after Xmas and through the winter time. Rumor is the new 987S is out this Fall/next spring, so waiting until spring time may not be a bad move either. I could:

-Go nuts and buy a new one through ED. This is silly because we're talking ~$60K, I may not keep this car very long, and I wouldn't drive it that much. But the thought of driving my "latest-and greatest" custom-built Porsche in Europe is very tempting. Not likely though.

-Find a good deal on a '07, 3.4L 987S. Seeming more likely.

-Look for an '05 3.2L 987S.

The (very nebulous) thought is to replace this car after 3-5 years with a used (by then '09+) 997S.
The '05s are getting (relatively) cheap.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:34 AM   #4
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer
 
Join Date: May 2005
Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Location: CT
Posts: 7,566
Minis are built in England (i think), so ED would be a trip there.

Ed
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:42 AM   #5
FC
Solving problems
 
FC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: '15 eGolf, '13 LR4, '11 Miata
Location: Greater Boston
Posts: 20,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
Minis are built in England (i think), so ED would be a trip there.

Ed
I WANT to go to England. I've been to Germany twice (once for 2 months for a college project in '00). But teh UK I guess is being a PITA wrt ED.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:47 AM   #6
FC
Solving problems
 
FC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: '15 eGolf, '13 LR4, '11 Miata
Location: Greater Boston
Posts: 20,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz View Post
I don't think you can get non-RFTs from the factory on any BMW product now... it's either RFT all-seasons, or RFT summers.

I chose the former.
Ugh. If those are my options, I guess I'd use the A/S RFT's on factory 16" wheels as "winter tires" (until they wear a bunch, then replace with 16" winters), and buy a nice set of 17" wheels with summer tires.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:54 AM   #7
ff
.
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Ugh. If those are my options, I guess I'd use the A/S RFT's on factory 16" wheels as "winter tires" (until they wear a bunch, then replace with 16" winters), and buy a nice set of 17" wheels with summer tires.
That's what I would do. I think that makes the most sense. The only thing is that using the stock A/S's as winter tires... they will probably last you 6 or 7 years before wearing out. And by that time, you'll be thinking about the next car to buy anyhow.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:58 AM   #8
FC
Solving problems
 
FC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: '15 eGolf, '13 LR4, '11 Miata
Location: Greater Boston
Posts: 20,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff View Post
That's what I would do. I think that makes the most sense. The only thing is that using the stock A/S's as winter tires... they will probably last you 6 or 7 years before wearing out. And by that time, you'll be thinking about the next car to buy anyhow.
That blows. What's the market on used RFT's like? There must be a bunch of people out there looking for RFT's for lease turn-ins, flats, etc, no?
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:59 AM   #9
Plaz
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M; '08 MCS; '02 325iT
Location: Churzee
Posts: 17,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Ugh. If those are my options, I guess I'd use the A/S RFT's on factory 16" wheels as "winter tires" (until they wear a bunch, then replace with 16" winters), and buy a nice set of 17" wheels with summer tires.
Precisely what I did.
__________________
2011 1M
Plaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 12:02 PM   #10
ff
.
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
What's the market on used RFT's like?
I have a feeling that there might be a lot of people in that situation. Whether they'd be willing to pay anything for them is another question, though. If you sold them right away (i.e. under 100 miles), you're chances should be much better.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Forums 2003-2008, 'Mudgeon Enterprises - Site hosting by AYN & Associates, LLC