carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 08-04-2015, 11:04 AM   #1
JST

Worth a read--DE fatality at Road Atlanta

Not sure if the jalopbot will post this, but in case it doesn't:

http://oppositelock.kinja.com/fatal-...nta-1721931526

It's worth a read for the perspective the author offers on the "the gap;"--the space between when a driver is just figuring out how to get around a track and when the driver finally invests in serious, track-only safety gear (usually in the context of taking the next step to go racing).

You'll probably all recall that I did a slew of DEs a couple of years ago. A few things conspired to make me quit--the friend who got me into it got out of the hobby, the kids started taking up a lot of time, etc.

But I'd be lying if I said the safety thing had nothing to do with it. I remember looking around at a gathering of relative old-hands at a PCA DE and realizing that every single one of them had wrecked a car. Every. One. None of them had been seriously injured, although a couple of them had been extremely--no, fancifully, unbelievably--lucky in that regard. And it's not because they were bad drivers. It's just that physics is a bitch, and if you run on a track often enough the odds start to run against you.

Anyway. Thought I'd share. I wholeheartedly endorse getting out on the track. It's an amazing amount of fun. But I don't really plan to do it again without a purpose-built car.

Last edited by JST; 08-04-2015 at 02:01 PM.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 12:23 PM   #2
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Thanks for sharing.

I've done a couple of DEs, but nothing regular. There was a wreck right in front of me on the last one, although it was a suspension component failure, and the driver did bring the car to a stop on the track. I slowed when I noticed the sparks, then went around as he braked; it happened to be on the last lap, so I pulled off before going back around.

I wouldn't want to be around a major crash. Would love to do more track days and get some formal training. But you are right about the safety risk...
Old 08-04-2015, 01:44 PM   #3
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Ultimately, things like this are what made me stop going. There is always that potential for something completely out of your control.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 02:15 PM   #4
Pinecone
Carmudgeon

I have driven in a number of DE events and instructed in many more.

I had seen few accidents that damage cars. VERY few that caused enough damage to make the car unable to be driven home.

I am not counting running into the runoff area and getting the car dirty. I am talking about bending metal.

In interestingly, most of the more serious accidents, have been the instructors.

And considering how many DE events are run, the safety record is quite good, as evidenced by the fact that such an accident is news. It they happened often, no one would talk much about them.

I am not suggesting that more safety equipment is not a good idea. But that will not stop the occasional fatal accident.
1995 Alpine E36 M3 LTW
1990 Red/White Spec Racer
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 02:37 PM   #5
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
I have driven in a number of DE events and instructed in many more.

I had seen few accidents that damage cars. VERY few that caused enough damage to make the car unable to be driven home.

I am not counting running into the runoff area and getting the car dirty. I am talking about bending metal.

In interestingly, most of the more serious accidents, have been the instructors.

And considering how many DE events are run, the safety record is quite good, as evidenced by the fact that such an accident is news. It they happened often, no one would talk much about them.

I am not suggesting that more safety equipment is not a good idea. But that will not stop the occasional fatal accident.

I don't know what the accident and/or injury and/or fatality rate is. I've often heard it said that you are safer on the track than on the way to and from it, though I don't know whether the data actually back that claim up.

I do know that accidents and (especially) injuries are generally not discussed, except in hushed tones. Partly this is related to publicity--at many, if not all, events there was a general warning given not to take pictures or share descriptions of incidents on social media. I'm not quarreling with that policy, just noting that it makes gathering accurate information difficult.

I will say that I am pretty sure there was a serious "off" resulting in a non-driveable vehicle at each of the events I attended. Certainly if not every one, then most of them--and in some cases more than one. Were the PCA guys just being extra aggressive? Maybe.
Old 08-04-2015, 04:39 PM   #6
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
I had the pleasure of spending an afternoon with Sam Posey in October of 2012 - I asked him why he quit racing at the height of his success and fame, he said "because I realized I could get killed".

He had seen his friend Mark Donahue die in an awful crash and he told me he knew Donahue to be the most careful, conservative-about-safety driver of his group - yet it didn't matter, an accident had claimed him.
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 07:18 PM   #7
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
I am constantly asked why I don't track the TT. Aside from real logistical and financial reasons (not related to crashes), the TT kind of scares me.

As I've made my way up in car performance, the ability to control and slow the car down has more or less kept pace with increases in speed. The TT is not like that. 20 pistons, and wide, sticky tires (stickier than what it left the factory with) don't make a difference. The non-linear increase in distance required to slow down as speed increases really bites you hard in a car that can accelerate so hard. I once stayed on WOT for a fraction of a second more than usual in a spot I know well, and the added speed plus distance traveled in that small time meant I was hundreds of feet off the mark to slow down to the ~20mph I needed to be at to make the turn. In my case I had a mile of extra road to continue on to make the u turn, but at the track?

This is not helped by the fact that I've had to try some pretty stupid things to get the TT to even begin to see any nannies in action. I really don't know how the car behaves at the limit.

Also, I had plenty of fun at Lemons in a stock, beat up Cabrio, so you don't need speed to have fun at the track.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 11:48 AM   #8
zach
swinging for the fences

Carmudgeonly Ride: 987, X7 M60i, e36 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
the TT kind of scares me.
Yeah, me too. That thing is obscenely fast.
zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 12:00 PM   #9
JST

So is that thing (the TT) still going up for sale? And is zach buying it?
Old 08-05-2015, 12:16 PM   #10
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
I am constantly asked why I don't track the TT. Aside from real logistical and financial reasons (not related to crashes), the TT kind of scares me.

As I've made my way up in car performance, the ability to control and slow the car down has more or less kept pace with increases in speed. The TT is not like that. 20 pistons, and wide, sticky tires (stickier than what it left the factory with) don't make a difference. The non-linear increase in distance required to slow down as speed increases really bites you hard in a car that can accelerate so hard. I once stayed on WOT for a fraction of a second more than usual in a spot I know well, and the added speed plus distance traveled in that small time meant I was hundreds of feet off the mark to slow down to the ~20mph I needed to be at to make the turn. In my case I had a mile of extra road to continue on to make the u turn, but at the track?

This is not helped by the fact that I've had to try some pretty stupid things to get the TT to even begin to see any nannies in action. I really don't know how the car behaves at the limit.

Also, I had plenty of fun at Lemons in a stock, beat up Cabrio, so you don't need speed to have fun at the track.
You're over exaggerating the impact of staying on throttle. You just missed your braking point. The non-linear increase in braking distance required is largely offset by the progressively more sluggish acceleration at speed. (The 997TT takes 7.8 seconds to get to 100mph, but 13.4 more to get from there to 150.)

I agree that it doesn't need to be fast to be fun, though. I have more fun on track in a slower car because I get to play with people. Enough power to keep up is perfect.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote