carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 08-05-2015, 12:41 PM   #11
Nick M3
Relic

I mean, for context here, a crap family sedan takes around 300 feet to stop from 112ish MPH (per a recent top gear test). 112mph is 167 feet per second. In order for a fraction of a second to throw you off by "hundreds of feet" of feet, you'd have to be traveling at quite a high speed. (And by that I mean 200 feet traveled in half a second gives me 272mph by my math).
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 12:54 PM   #12
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
I mean, for context here, a crap family sedan takes around 300 feet to stop from 112ish MPH (per a recent top gear test). 112mph is 167 feet per second. In order for a fraction of a second to throw you off by "hundreds of feet" of feet, you'd have to be traveling at quite a high speed. (And by that I mean 200 feet traveled in half a second gives me 272mph by my math).
It was a figure of speech. I missed it by maybe closer to a second. What usually happens is that I get pretty close to redline on 3rd, at that point I can get on the brakes reasonably hard and make my turn.

In this occasion, I instinctively shifted to forth and hit the gas a bit there. So instead of hitting the gas at upper 11X, I am guessing I was well into the 120's. Regardless of the accuracy of my statement, it sure as hell feels scary.

In a spot where going fast in a Boxster S/ZHP/V70R might have meant 70-85 mph, the TT easily gets you into triple digits without breaking a sweat. Shaving speed at 110mph is very different from 80mph and the improved braking hardware doesn't close that gap nearly enough. I guess that was my point.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 12:57 PM   #13
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
So is that thing (the TT) still going up for sale? And is zach buying it?
As a matter of fact it is likely that I will be selling it soon. Maybe even in a few weeks.

My newly found interest in cycling means using the LR4 even more.

It's just hard to part with such a machine without a gun to your head. But it's probably what I should do given our upcoming change in finances.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 05:26 PM   #14
Pinecone
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I will say that I am pretty sure there was a serious "off" resulting in a non-driveable vehicle at each of the events I attended. Certainly if not every one, then most of them--and in some cases more than one. Were the PCA guys just being extra aggressive? Maybe.
I have seen a serious off, also at a PCA event when we were doing a Skippy school at Lime Rock. That was the same event, where people were blowing their horns down the front straight trying to get a point by.

Remind to NOT do PCA events.

I have done a number of BMWCCA events, no un-drivable offs. And not many offs that required red flagging the session.

I teach at Friday at the Track and SCCA PDX events. Only one serious off at any of the events I was at. A 350Z did not complete all three steps of skid recovery and went into the gravel sideways and rolled. I used to have pictures.

I have seen and even been in a couple of offs that resulted in minor damage. And one car caught fire recently.

And I agree with Nick. But missing your breaking point by 1 full second at 120, means you missed by 176 FEET. Were you asleep?
1995 Alpine E36 M3 LTW
1990 Red/White Spec Racer
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote