carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 12-13-2020, 01:29 PM   #1
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Sirius

So, I have a three-month trial of Sirius that came with the Mazda. Is there any reason why I should go through the brain damage of activating it (and, more pointedly, deactivating it)?

We used to have it back in the day, but long ago concluded it was pretty useless. And it seems especially so in the days of CarPlay and streaming services like Pandora/Spotify, etc.

The car also came with Sirius Traffic for three years. It activates automatically when you load the Nav SD. That seems to have some value. Maybe...At any rate, it's up and running until they ask me to pay for it.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 02:31 PM   #2
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Sirius

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
So, I have a three-month trial of Sirius that came with the Mazda. Is there any reason why I should go through the brain damage of activating it (and, more pointedly, deactivating it)?

We used to have it back in the day, but long ago concluded it was pretty useless. And it seems especially so in the days of CarPlay and streaming services like Pandora/Spotify, etc.

The car also came with Sirius Traffic for three years. It activates automatically when you load the Nav SD. That seems to have some value. Maybe...At any rate, it's up and running until they ask me to pay for it.

We have the Sirius activated in both cars. You don’t need to give a cc number to activate the promo period so if you don’t renew, it’ll just shut off when that ends. Then they’ll call/email/mail you a ton of offers to renew at significantly less that retail until you say yes. We listen to it occasionally when not streaming something and at this point never listen to local FM stations.
Old 12-13-2020, 03:19 PM   #3
clyde
Chief title editor

They also have a couple week or two long periods during the year where a number of channels are available for free.

I think it may be worth more for those wanting to hear news, talk, sports and those who want their music programed than those who only want to listen to the music they want to listen to.

As much time I spend listening to Spotify, it cheats way too heavily to artists and tracks I've explicitly told them I like (via favorites, playlists, following, etc) instead of exposing me to other artists with similar music or some kind of connection that makes them worth checking out. All the streaming music options I've tried are too hyperfocused on overly narrow segments. The Sirius/XM music channels aren't anything to write home about, but in my limited experience, tend to turn me on to new artists more often.

And someone must still be paying for it (35 million subscribers, in fact, which is close to 10% of the US population)... Howard Stern reupped for another five years last week. The expiring contract was paying him $90M/year.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 04:23 PM   #4
wdc330i
dogged

Interesting stuff.

I see that they’re trying to trick me into giving them my credit card by offering me three extra months free for $2 (which they need to credit card to charge for).

Will give it some thought.

I listen to Pandora stations mostly and podcasts. But Pandora’s limitation on the stations is a repetitiveness.
Old 12-13-2020, 06:21 PM   #5
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Dealer didn't turn it on? I guess our Fusion is 6 months old, because it turned off last week.

The stuff from Sirius in our mailbox will never turn off
Old 12-13-2020, 07:04 PM   #6
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
Dealer didn't turn it on? I guess our Fusion is 6 months old, because it turned off last week.

The stuff from Sirius in our mailbox will never turn off
They had to order a Nav drive for some reason, so it lagged the sale. I loaded it myself, but did not activate Sirius XM at the time—just the traffic/weather part. Needed to check with my consultants about the other content!

Oh, and yes. I cancelled my old Sirius accounts years ago, and still get those emails.
Old 12-13-2020, 07:46 PM   #7
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
I cancel when the free period ends and unless they easily give me a $5/mo for 12 months offer, I keep it canceled. I put a calendar reminder to call and cancel at 12mos.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 09:52 PM   #8
JST

I like it, for the reasons that Clyde gives. The Tesla can’t get it, and the streaming alternatives in the Tesla are almost as good but not quite.

I hate the DJs, and am still bummed that Sirius programming beat out XM on that front.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 10:00 PM   #9
lip277
The old cranky SOB....

Carmudgeonly Ride: several cars... way too many....
I still let the head unit swallow a tape or CD for me to listen to what I want to (or I play the classical FM station).

Sorry - couldn't resist. After all, I still have a car with a carburetor. Not to mention two turntables and a few reel to reel's. LOL
Someone has to uphold those values.....

1970 2800CS - - 2001 740iL - - 2006 997.1 - - 2012 Escalade
1968 Mustang GT Convertible - - 2003 Ford F250 PSD - - 1985 728i
lip277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 08:09 AM   #10
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by lip277 View Post
I still let the head unit swallow a tape or CD for me to listen to what I want to (or I play the classical FM station).

Sorry - couldn't resist. After all, I still have a car with a carburetor. Not to mention two turntables and a few reel to reel's. LOL
Someone has to uphold those values.....
How many of these do you have? car record player