carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 10-06-2020, 01:05 PM   #11
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Yes, that's probably the best place to end up right now, especially since I'm also doing the water pump and tires and am...slightly tired of spending money on it at the moment.

EDIT: How hard would it be to DIY those coilovers?
Shouldn't be hard. The biggest question I'd have is how hard is it to find the top mounts? You have to do mild disassembly on the 993 to find them, since they are at the far back of the engine bay.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 01:30 PM   #12
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
Shouldn't be hard. The biggest question I'd have is how hard is it to find the top mounts? You have to do mild disassembly on the 993 to find them, since they are at the far back of the engine bay.
That part looks easy enough. It's like the M3; the convertibles are simpler to access b/c there's less trim to remove.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 02:03 PM   #13
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
I haven't driven any 987 on PSS9's or other aftermarket suspension, but I'd approach those with suspicion for the street. I have test driven the Spyder twice, driven it at Monticello demos and have test driven and almost bought the Cayman R. Firmer than the usual 987 but still fine for the street. Probably a little off how good it can be for the track but do you really need that in your street driven car? Suncoast used to sell these as a package, I'm sure there are other places.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 02:10 PM   #14
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
I haven't driven any 987 on PSS9's or other aftermarket suspension, but I'd approach those with suspicion for the street. I have test driven the Spyder twice, driven it at Monticello demos and have test driven and almost bought the Cayman R. Firmer than the usual 987 but still fine for the street. Probably a little off how good it can be for the track but do you really need that in your street driven car? Suncoast used to sell these as a package, I'm sure there are other places.
Cayman R retrofit is basically right between PSS9 and Ohlins in terms of cost:

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/9872CSPS.html

I tend to agree that the Cayman R setup is the kind of thing I am looking for, though my guess is that high-quality aftermarket might last longer...though who knows, it's hard to imagine keeping the car another 14 years and 50K miles.
Old 10-06-2020, 02:23 PM   #15
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Cayman R retrofit is basically right between PSS9 and Ohlins in terms of cost:

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/9872CSPS.html

I tend to agree that the Cayman R setup is the kind of thing I am looking for, though my guess is that high-quality aftermarket might last longer...though who knows, it's hard to imagine keeping the car another 14 years and 50K miles.
You might not want to, but your son might...
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 11:38 AM   #16
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Learning a lot in this thread. Thank you guys.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 10:10 PM   #17
JST

OK, time to get serious on this, since that 987.2 didn't pan out.

I'm now down to the Ohlins v. the Cayman R setup, and also thinking about "how bad could it be to do myself, on my patio, after watching a few YouTube videos?"

The answer to the second question is probably "that's a good way to make your Porsche into a lawn ornament," but it's a simple enough procedure that I'm tempted to do it anyway."

The answer to the first question is really, "do I want to spend the extra $400 for Ohlins, and is having an OEM setup important to me?" Just typing that out suggests the answer(yes, and no), but I need to give it a little more thought.

EDIT: I should note that the weakness of the shocks was pretty obvious at the track, when the car moved around way more than I liked, and checking after getting home I can see the front bump stops are pretty shredded, so I think it's time. Plus I'm in a good mood after Tuesday, so why not spend some money.
Old 11-08-2020, 10:23 PM   #18
equ
Alphanumeric

Maybe just go with the cheapest acceptable solution / minimum viable product? It's not a high worth low-mileage car. The engine reputation is not terrible but not stellar. Even fresh stock? Or someone dumping an R/Spyder suspension? What is your street/track use %?

I've never done suspension on a car. Way above my DIY abilities/tooling etc.
Old 11-08-2020, 10:43 PM   #19
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Maybe just go with the cheapest acceptable solution / minimum viable product? It's not a high worth low-mileage car. The engine reputation is not terrible but not stellar. Even fresh stock? Or someone dumping an R/Spyder suspension? What is your street/track use %?

I've never done suspension on a car. Way above my DIY abilities/tooling etc.
What driving the 987.2 taught me is that as much as I'd love a 9A1 engine, it's going to cost a lot to get out of this car and into a 987.2, and it's honestly not worth it.

So, if I'm going to keep this car (and, to be very honest, I love it and would hate to part with it), I might as well do it right.

If you believe YouTube, strut replacement is pretty straightforward. Something like 6 bolts per wheel, badda bing, badda boom. I have no doubt I'll find a way to screw it up, though.
Old 11-08-2020, 10:47 PM   #20
equ
Alphanumeric

Quote:
What driving the 987.2 taught me is that as much as I'd love a 9A1 engine, it's going to cost a lot to get out of this car and into a 987.2, and it's honestly not worth it.

So, if I'm going to keep this car (and, to be very honest, I love it and would hate to part with it), I might as well do it right.

If you believe YouTube, strut replacement is pretty straightforward. Something like 6 bolts per wheel, badda bing, badda boom. I have no doubt I'll find a way to screw it up, though.
Nothing at all wrong with keeping your car... Sometimes I wish I'd kept my first 06 Atlas Gray Cayman S (saw it listed in Jalopnik comments one day as a steal!).

Do the suspension if you can. Those bolts could be hard. Don't springs have to be compressed and what not? I just don't see the point of top shelf parts in one area of the car. Just something to freshen it up. How much are Ohlins? They are big $$ for motorcycles.