carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 08-12-2020, 10:26 AM   #41
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
Right. Sorry.
Don't be sorry!!!
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 12:28 PM   #42
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
The S3 is appealing for sure, but Nick's right, it's going to be way too expensive. It's basically a way to spend a lot more money than a GTI but not add any practicality nor much additional fun.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 12:32 PM   #43
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
The S3 is appealing for sure, but Nick's right, it's going to be way too expensive. It's basically a way to spend a lot more money than a GTI but not add any practicality nor much additional fun.
IMO, the GTI is the best overall value in the market. I convinced my BIL of this and he is getting one this fall.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 01:16 PM   #44
John V
No more BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
IMO, the GTI is the best overall value in the market. I convinced my BIL of this and he is getting one this fall.
It is.

And as I get to the point I can see the light at the end of the tunnel that is retirement, the more I look at the cars in the garage as extra days I have to go into the office

I definitely want to keep racing and we want to have something fun to drive, but the desire to own expensive cars is really going away quickly.
Old 08-12-2020, 01:57 PM   #45
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
Quote:
Are they still making the 7.5?
Old 08-12-2020, 02:05 PM   #46
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
It is.

And as I get to the point I can see the light at the end of the tunnel that is retirement, the more I look at the cars in the garage as extra days I have to go into the office

I definitely want to keep racing and we want to have something fun to drive, but the desire to own expensive cars is really going away quickly.
Even though I seem like (and probably am) a yuppie snob, as you know, I don't make big purchases easily. That said, age and events in my life have shifted me a bit to a YOLO attitude, hence the M3 purchase. The LR4 was pricey, but not crazy and should average out to a reasonable expense over time.

Again the only financially silly purchase has really been to go for the M3 over the GTI, but the reasons why I did it are well-documented here. I'm over it.

I have no vices or expensive hobbies.
Old 08-12-2020, 02:08 PM   #47
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
Are they still making the 7.5?
I think so, VW always seems to delay releasing new cars for the NA market.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 02:21 PM   #48
John V
No more BMWs

Quote:
Again the only financially silly purchase has really been to go for the M3 over the GTI, but the reasons why I did it are well-documented here. I'm over it.
My post wasn't a judgment on your decisions or anyone else's. The virus has just shown us what we really value in life, and number one is time with our family and friends. We can't buy more time but putting as much money away in investments will get me to the "finish" line that much sooner. I actually really enjoy my job, so the "finish" line is probably where I cut my hours to half-time and spend the rest of that time on extra trips to ski with my brother or whatever.

The other part of it is most cars have gone the exact opposite direction of what I want. I really just want them to be entertaining and engaging. New cars are just so distant-feeling and digital when I want them to be analog. And if I want something bonkers I'd prefer to just build it myself (like my RX-8).
Old 08-12-2020, 02:35 PM   #49
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
My post wasn't a judgment on your decisions or anyone else's. The virus has just shown us what we really value in life, and number one is time with our family and friends. We can't buy more time but putting as much money away in investments will get me to the "finish" line that much sooner. I actually really enjoy my job, so the "finish" line is probably where I cut my hours to half-time and spend the rest of that time on extra trips to ski with my brother or whatever.

The other part of it is most cars have gone the exact opposite direction of what I want. I really just want them to be entertaining and engaging. New cars are just so distant-feeling and digital when I want them to be analog. And if I want something bonkers I'd prefer to just build it myself (like my RX-8).
Not to derail the subject, but to your point about COVID, one positive is that it has changed a lot of companies' attitude towards productivity working remotely. My wife and I are seriously considering considering renting a place for a few weeks in western Europe one of these summers and pitching the idea to our employers to work remotely from there with a good a couple of weeks of vacation in the mix.
Old 04-09-2021, 05:54 PM   #50
John V
No more BMWs

Well... shit.

I noticed something that looked a little odd with the Mazdaspeed a couple days ago.

This is annoying because the car has literally no (visible) rust anywhere else on it. Guess I'm learning how to do bodywork this summer.