carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 12-21-2011, 10:40 AM   #1
JST

Jim Farley

Interesting interview with Farley, now at Ford, late of Toyota.

http://www.insideline.com/ford/jim-f...ds-future.html

Quite a collection of cars he's got.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:46 AM   #2
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
This sort of story just makes you realize how poorly planned your own career choices were.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:58 PM   #3
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
Yes.

It also gives me hope to have someone like him in at Ford.

And, I find that Farley and I agree on something (well, many things, but this one caught my attention):

"Probably the most important car for me is Fiesta. It's not fancy, but the reason why I say that is, it's what Ford does on a good day. It's taking a car that everyone can afford and making it great to look at, really fun to drive, with cool in-car technology, world-class fuel efficiency, and putting it all in one package, where people say, 'Now that is really fun to drive; that is really fun to own.' To do it in the most affordable car we have, that's cool. It's easier [for more expensive cars] where you've got more money [to work with] and a bigger checkbook."

This is why I'm more charged up and excited about cars like the Miata, BRZ / FT-86, Mustangs, Camaros, and the like than I am about Ferraris, Aston Martins, Zondas, etc.

When you have a really high purchase price it makes it easier for the engineers and designers to make an awesome car. Not so say their job is easy, but they have the budget to do some really freak'n cool stuff.

But to try and do that and hit a price point that is attainable for the common Joe? Seems harder to do to me and so it impresses me more.

Same way as I get more excited about awesome architectural design that doesn't cost an arm and a leg compared with the multi-million dollar homes featured in most magazines.

"Jeep is the only true American sports car*" - Enzo Ferrari

* Or something to that effect.
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote