carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 01-17-2013, 04:28 PM   #121
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
That may be changing in a lot of places over the next 10-20 years as more and more freeways are built by, leased to, and maintained by private companies in exchanged for being allowed to collect tolls.
I doubt that will happen in Nevada. I don't know about Lou's situation, but we would just avoid the highway. It wouldn't be that big of a deal most of the time.

Also, we want people to come here and basically make it as easy as possible to do. We will tax them at the roulette table. No reason to add a toll to the road on the way in.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:56 AM   #122
Pinecone
Carmudgeon

What seems to be happening in the DC/Baltimore area, is toll roads parallel to main arteries, with the toll roads promising less traffic at peak times. So go slow for "free" or pay and move faster.
1995 Alpine E36 M3 LTW
1990 Red/White Spec Racer
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:29 AM   #123
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Right. I see no reason at all why that is a bad idea.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:19 PM   #124
clyde
Chief title editor

I just put the superbuttuglyass 1812 plates on my car.

I have the sad cries.

Either of these would be so much better...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Who do I talk to about submitting an idea for the next MD plate?

Not exactly a finished product, but a concept:

Alternate

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:28 PM   #125
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
I ordered a vanity plate this week... Should receive them in a few weeks...(AZ provides a front and back when you get vanity plates -- although only one needs to go on the car)
Old 02-02-2013, 06:32 PM   #126
TD
Founder emeritus

I'm thinking the War of 1812 license plate, on its own, disqualifies Martin O'Malley from running for higher office.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:58 PM   #127
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
I ordered a vanity plate this week... Should receive them in a few weeks...(AZ provides a front and back when you get vanity plates -- although only one needs to go on the car)
In CA, they used to let you get a third plate for non-vehicular display. Dunno if they still do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD View Post
I'm thinking the War of 1812 license plate, on its own, disqualifies Martin O'Malley from running for higher office.
I'll vote for that.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:49 AM   #128
3LOU5
Slacker Extraordinaire

Saw an SUV with a Christian fish symbol above a license plate that read "HVF8TH"
3LOU5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:27 PM   #129
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
Speaking of vanity plates . . . this in the Seattle Times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle Times
State law gives the agency authority to determine what is and isn’t offensive in a personalized plate. But even if the DOL approves a plate, anyone who spots a plate on the road and takes offense can make a complaint. Then, the agency investigates.

There are plenty of terms that can offend.

The agency has compiled a list of 654 “DO NOT ISSUE” terms for vanity plates since the state began issuing them in 1975.

Using everything from Google searches that include foreign-language and slang dictionaries, to asking translators to explain what something means in Russian, the committee decides what crosses the offensive line.

Think high-school humor: GETSOM, LUVBED, JUMPME, HUMPER, INHEAT, NYMPHO, OLDFART, IRSUCKS, GONAD, WANTSEX, GSPOT, BLUBALS, ZIGZAG, GO2HELL, BITEIT, MRPOOP.

The committee, made up of six people ranging from a State Patrol representative to a DOL administrator, is the last resort of appeal for questionable plates, and it’s where complaints from the public about a specific plate usually end up.

Quote:
And so the case of GOES211 ended up before something called the DOL’s Personalized License Plate Committee. Bureaucracies like committees, and lists.

Last October, Dixon emailed the Department of Licensing: “I find it in poor taste that the great state of Washington would issue a plate that allows a driver to insinuate in public that his penis grows to 11 inches in length. The rest of the citizens of Washington should not be subjected to this vulgarity.”

When Tony Cava got a letter from the state about somebody complaining that his personalized license plate came across as “vulgar, profane or offensive to good taste and decency,” he was, well, “pretty befuddled.”

The plate on his white 1989 BMW says, “GOES211.”

He thought, what’s so vulgar about that?

Cava, 53, is a fan of “This is Spinal Tap,” the 1984 mockumentary about a fictional heavy metal group. The license plate is an homage to the classic scene in which band member Nigel explains that while other amps go to 10 on the volume control, theirs goes to 11, “if we need that extra push over the cliff.”

In the case of GOES211, the committee let Cava keep his plate.

The complaint was, pardon my pun, a stretch,” says Brad Benfield, a DOL spokesman who’s served 10 years on the committee.
Good to see they at least have a sense of humor on the committee.

Quote:
Then there was the case of Fred Talbot, a Sammamish account manager who likes to hunt.

In 2010, he was denied the license plate “ELKNUT” for his Dodge Ram pickup.

He remembers the DOL calling him: “The lady said people might think you’re referring to an elk’s testicles,” Talbot recalls. “I said, ‘You’ve got to be kidding! This is silly!’”

Talbot wrote the committee: “This is a very well known name in elk hunting circles as it is the name of an Internet company called Elknut Productions which sells products to help elk hunters ... I did not ask for ‘ELKNUTS’ or ‘ELKSNUT,’ yes, even I would agree that might be taken the wrong way.”

The agency then found that it had issued 60 personalized plates with “NUT” as the last three characters — DUKNUT, PIGNUT, HOGNUT.

So the committee allowed Talbot his personalized plate

"Jeep is the only true American sports car*" - Enzo Ferrari

* Or something to that effect.
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:05 PM   #130
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
Originally Posted by lupinsea View Post
Speaking of vanity plates . . . this in the Seattle Times.

Good to see they at least have a sense of humor on the committee.

People sure have a lot of free time to get that offended and complain.

I wonder if they'd allow NUTNUT?