carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 11-13-2020, 06:00 PM   #321
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Just drove the Mazda. It is fine for what it is. It doesn't "spark delight," but it's not abysmal.

It's reasonably responsive and zippy (when not laden with anything/one but me). Not super leany--although there are times its FWD platform reveals itself even with AWD. Seats are kind of uncomfortable (and a bit short), as is the steering wheel, but I may not have had the adjustments dialed in. Visibility is OK.

But, woof, the cabin is a chunk smaller than the X3, especially the cargo area and rear seat. The center "seat" does not seem viable for an adult or teen for all but the quickest of trips.

I'll have to compare specs, but I wonder if it even has more carrying capacity than a GTI.

The CX-9 is huge. Seems like they really need a CX-7.
I don't recall if this was mentioned on this thread but did you look at the Acura RDX ? It is a really good looking SUV and the reviews were good.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 06:08 PM   #322
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
I don't really disagree with much here. But that's more reflective of how awful the choices are than how good the X3 is.

...mind you, IMO, expecting any SUV to be "fun" is mistake going in. I like driving a Suburban WAY more than any X3.

...which, honestly, begs the question of why *isn't* that on the list?
I am starting to think you are stuck in a 'car feel' time stoppage (yeah weird way to put it but maybe one of the college grads here can write it better) and haven't adjusted to the way new cars feel

I just had a blast in my huge 5er in double sport mode slipping around the neighborhood between the leaves and the wet roads.

I regret this post already
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 06:48 PM   #323
JST

I drove my sister in law’s expedition and for the love of god I can’t understand how anyone puts up with that, but she loves it. I think it makes her feel invincible.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 08:24 PM   #324
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Just drove the Mazda. It is fine for what it is. It doesn't "spark delight," but it's not abysmal.

It's reasonably responsive and zippy (when not laden with anything/one but me). Not super leany--although there are times its FWD platform reveals itself even with AWD. Seats are kind of uncomfortable (and a bit short), as is the steering wheel, but I may not have had the adjustments dialed in. Visibility is OK.

But, woof, the cabin is a chunk smaller than the X3, especially the cargo area and rear seat. The center "seat" does not seem viable for an adult or teen for all but the quickest of trips.

I'll have to compare specs, but I wonder if it even has more carrying capacity than a GTI.

this site might be useful for you. I just found it:
https://www.carsized.com/en/cars/com...cx-5-2017-suv/

EDIT: I take back the *might* comment... this site is f'ing awesome:
https://www.carsized.com/en/cars/com...units=imperial

very much proves me wrong re: the clubman being big enough.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 10:16 PM   #325
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:

Agree completely. The CX-9 is great in many ways. Just too big. Drop the 3rd row and make it a 5-seat and you get a CX-7...
Old 11-13-2020, 10:19 PM   #326
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
this site might be useful for you. I just found it:
https://www.carsized.com/en/cars/com...cx-5-2017-suv/

EDIT: I take back the *might* comment... this site is f'ing awesome:
https://www.carsized.com/en/cars/com...units=imperial

very much proves me wrong re: the clubman being big enough.
Amazing find! Thanks so much.

And, super interesting how the X3 compares with the CX-5–really just 2 cubic feet more cargo volume. Hmm...

Clubman being almost 10 inches lower certainly accounts for it being way more fun.

It’s always instructive for me to get back into my car after driving these SUVs. Whew. I’m pretty convinced there is no one-car solution—until the wolf is at the door.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 10:57 PM   #327
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I don't recall if this was mentioned on this thread but did you look at the Acura RDX ? It is a really good looking SUV and the reviews were good.
I guess I should. I don’t know why, but I’ve kind of lost confidence in Honda products—even though I’ve had two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I drove my sister in law’s expedition and for the love of god I can’t understand how anyone puts up with that, but she loves it. I think it makes her feel invincible.
Right? How could anyone cope with that thing day to day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
Yea, I think it’s hard to beat the X3 M40 vs. anything comparable. That being said, depending on how you’ll use it, I agree the CX5 + 2 is probably a better combo than just the X3. ��
The optimum solution is get the X3 and keep my 2.

It’s a war between financial angel and financial devil. Wish I had JV’s resolve...

Driving the Mazda around today—in my neighborhood and on the highway—my thoughts were: I wouldn’t really want to take a road trip in this car and, why would I ever want to drive this car instead of my 2 if I didn’t have to haul the dogs or a bunch of kids around? And, if I’m buying this as a practical car, why isn’t this one more practical?

It adds two doors, the ability to have a roof box or other things up top, and a hatch. So, honestly, it does add utility.

Maybe after having 14 years with a 5 wagon and X5s, I’m used to their size and usefulness. (Yet still wouldn’t want one as my only daily driver.)

I’m just spoiled, I guess.

Analysis paralysis.

As an aside, the Miatas are looking pretty enticing. A Carbon Edition of one of those in a stick would be pretty sweet.

I can think of so many non-SUVs I would love to have.

Last edited by wdc330i; 11-14-2020 at 09:06 AM.
Old 11-14-2020, 06:38 AM   #328
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I am starting to think you are stuck in a 'car feel' time stoppage (yeah weird way to put it but maybe one of the college grads here can write it better) and haven't adjusted to the way new cars feel

I just had a blast in my huge 5er in double sport mode slipping around the neighborhood between the leaves and the wet roads.

I regret this post already
You’re not entirely wrong. But the thing is that it’s modern BMWs that drive me crazy. They feel unnatural. I don’t get that feeling from, say, modern Audis. Audis are boring, but inoffensive.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 09:15 AM   #329
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
You’re not entirely wrong. But the thing is that it’s modern BMWs that drive me crazy. They feel unnatural. I don’t get that feeling from, say, modern Audis. Audis are boring, but inoffensive.
Hmm. There’s a 2017 Allroad with 16k miles on it at my local dealer...One of their off-leases, so complete chain of custody. Same price as the new CX-5. All black...

Edit: Whelp. It’s gone. Easy to understand why. Meanwhile, they are getting 10 RS6 Avants between their two Audi dealerships. Unbelievable.
Old 11-14-2020, 09:18 AM   #330
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Hmm. There’s a 2017 Allroad with 16k miles on it at my local dealer...One of their off-leases, so complete chain of custody. Same price as the new CX-5. All black...
That might just be the winner...