carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2005, 09:40 PM   #1
Mathew
Crotchety
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Posts: 1,237
E65 waffle

We're thinking about upgrading the 745i to a 750Li. This car would be for my mother. Considering it is a 2002, the 745 has been relatively problem free and it was never bought back. We actually got a newer 745Li loaner this week, and it had a lot of the bells and whistles, smoother transmission, and a better looking and bigger interior. There's been only a few minor software annoyances in the 745, but the biggest issue was the phone. It's basically a Motorola StarTac, and has been nothing but trouble since the beginning and is on its way out like the Dodo bird. The new models coming out have Bluetooth standard (and upgraded engine), and as silly as it may sound, is a big factor in the decision. Toss in the fact that the maintenance is about to expire, the tires are almost bald, there's a loyalty/sympathy rebate from BMW NA, CCA rebate, and a lot of other little things. It would also be a chance to get rid of a car by trading in the X5 at the same time. Yah, it's bunch of small, stupid things but I think someone wants a new car.

Or, she could get the 745Li demo car the dealer has. Our dealer seemed pretty quick to mention the idea of handing it off. I was hoping they would have some MY 05's they wanted to get rid of, but they're wasn't a single E65 on the lot. The dealer will call tomorrow and hopefully he will have some good numbers.

Mathew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 11:15 PM   #2
SARAFIL
I like BMWs
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: '16 BMW 550i xDrive
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 5,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew
We're thinking about upgrading the 745i to a 750Li. This car would be for my mother. Considering it is a 2002, the 745 has been relatively problem free and it was never bought back. We actually got a newer 745Li loaner this week, and it had a lot of the bells and whistles, smoother transmission, and a better looking and bigger interior. There's been only a few minor software annoyances in the 745, but the biggest issue was the phone. It's basically a Motorola StarTac, and has been nothing but trouble since the beginning and is on its way out like the Dodo bird. The new models coming out have Bluetooth standard (and upgraded engine), and as silly as it may sound, is a big factor in the decision. Toss in the fact that the maintenance is about to expire, the tires are almost bald, there's a loyalty/sympathy rebate from BMW NA, CCA rebate, and a lot of other little things. It would also be a chance to get rid of a car by trading in the X5 at the same time. Yah, it's bunch of small, stupid things but I think someone wants a new car.

Or, she could get the 745Li demo car the dealer has. Our dealer seemed pretty quick to mention the idea of handing it off. I was hoping they would have some MY 05's they wanted to get rid of, but they're wasn't a single E65 on the lot. The dealer will call tomorrow and hopefully he will have some good numbers.

Unless the 745 is tremendously discounted, I'd go for the 750. The improvements that were made for the 2006 model are great and really make the car that much better. The i-drive is much easier to use and seems to have upgraded software, the new engine is nice, and as you mentioned, Bluetooth is great.
__________________
2016 550i xDrive Sedan -- Alpine White / Mocha Nappa Leather
SARAFIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 11:21 PM   #3
dan
redefined
 
dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 13,837
spoken like a true salesman!
__________________
"There's a freedom you begin to feel the closer you get to Austin, Texas."
-Willie
dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 12:05 AM   #4
Plaz
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Location: Churzee
Posts: 17,741
If the Bluetooth is anything as horrible as the Bluetooth in my friend's E60 545i, don't buy that car for that. You'll be disappointed. I can almost never understand a sentence of his on the first try.
__________________
2011 1M
Plaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 12:07 AM   #5
SARAFIL
I like BMWs
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: '16 BMW 550i xDrive
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 5,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonoboy
spoken like a true salesman!
If they're going to buy one or the other, the 750 is definately the way to go. It didn't seem like a matter of "should we buy a new car?" but rather, "which car should we buy?"

I know the dealer will push him towards a 745, since it is the car that they'll have a harder time selling. 750s are very hot right now and most dealers can't keep them in stock. It's not a car that they have to work too hard to sell. Given that, I'm sure the dealer is going to try very hard to push them towards a 745 demo.
__________________
2016 550i xDrive Sedan -- Alpine White / Mocha Nappa Leather
SARAFIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 02:29 PM   #6
ZBB
Relic
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Location: The Valley of the Sun
Posts: 12,394
I haven't admitted this, but my stepdad got a new 750Li about a month ago to replace his 745Li. He seems to like it... I haven't spent much time with it though...
__________________
ZBB
ZBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 03:12 PM   #7
SCA
Jaded
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL
750s are very hot right now and most dealers can't keep them in stock. It's not a car that they have to work too hard to sell. Given that, I'm sure the dealer is going to try very hard to push them towards a 745 demo.

Why is that? The 745 was never that hot.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 07:13 PM   #8
SARAFIL
I like BMWs
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: '16 BMW 550i xDrive
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 5,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean
Why is that? The 745 was never that hot.
I don't quite know... low supply, high demand... we're selling them before they hit the ground. Very few people have them in stock and available for delivery.
__________________
2016 550i xDrive Sedan -- Alpine White / Mocha Nappa Leather
SARAFIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 07:21 PM   #9
dan
redefined
 
dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 13,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean
Why is that? The 745 was never that hot.
they've seen the new S-class and like the looks of the 7er a lot better

__________________
"There's a freedom you begin to feel the closer you get to Austin, Texas."
-Willie
dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 08:59 PM   #10
SCA
Jaded
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonoboy
they've seen the new S-class and like the looks of the 7er a lot better


Possibly so.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Forums 2003-2008, 'Mudgeon Enterprises - Site hosting by AYN & Associates, LLC