carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 09-27-2021, 06:19 PM   #11
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
I did that for several months. Didn't work. Too loud, too small, and too unsafe. Not particularly fuel efficient either. Also, it had tech from the 90's.
Yeah. I think it’s folly on the East Coast to try to do this, in retrospect. Even though I did many a white knuckle trip in a CTS-V with snows or an E90 M3 with snows.

I’d swap out the M3 while you can maximize value. I think what you might find is that the current state of the art make the F80 feel….no fast. So capitalize on it and sell it now in this weird used car market.

And have fun with whatever the interim car is. Then get what really will light you up when you open the garage. And to be honest, that has never been the M3.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 07:48 PM   #12
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
I did that for several months. Didn't work. Too loud, too small, and too unsafe. Not particularly fuel efficient either. Also, it had tech from the 90's.
I felt like this the few times I test drove miatas, all the way from NA, NB & NC. Never drove an ND but you get on the Merritt (CT-15) on a winter's day with a little gutless miata and you know you're in the wrong car.

Are you sure you won't regret selling the m3? Do you ever do sporty drives with kids or passengers in the back? A porsche won't satisfy that.

I do like my track handling packaged 340i xdrive. Not M level exciting, but enough power, decent-ish suspension, great brakes, great daily year round. You do pay for those brakes come replacement time; I just priced out a set of rotors/pads all around and it's $1700-ish with labor if I kept to BMW brand (I won't). About to turn 40k miles on it. M-perf exhaust & 6-speed really help the enjoyment. Sometimes, even though they're very different, I feel like I'm driving one of my zhp's. The shift knob is the same (stock) and there is some DNA lineage.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 08:59 PM   #13
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
I agree with most everyone else. If you are ok with selling the M3 now and just driving the GTI for a year until the booster comes in it would be a good move financially. In a year or two you may decide to replac the GTI with a used F80 and have the best of both worlds.

I'd have a hard time justifying the 911 if my wife didn't enjoy driving it so much.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 09:06 PM   #14
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I'm not sure there is a more fun car to drive in snow than as Miata on snow tires
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 09:22 PM   #15
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I'm not sure there is a more fun car to drive in snow than as Miata on snow tires
It was fun as hell, just not comfortable every day in the highway.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 10:18 PM   #16
Alan
Carmudgeon

If you really want to sell the M3 and get the Boxster GTS this is a great time to do it, you can’t get a better market now to sell your M3 and while you won’t get a discount on the Boxster you won’t be paying over MSRP.

So basically you are selling very high and buying reasonably (not high and not low).
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 09:04 AM   #17
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Carvana says $55,100 for the M3, but I think I could do better on my own. I just spent >$1,500 on full front Xpel and the interior is immaculate. I also upgraded to full-screen carplay. It only has 11,500 miles, never had a single issue, and still has 9 months of warranty.

I was hoping for closer to 60k based on the ads I see.

EDIT: Autotrader has cars like mine advertised for over $70k. https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...&numRecords=25

Last edited by FC; 09-28-2021 at 09:37 AM.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 09:30 AM   #18
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Given the very long lead times to get a GTS, what does it hurt to request an allocation now (if you can find a dealer that doesn't require a deposit right away)? If you decide you still enjoy the M3, then you abandon your spot on the waiting list. If you decide you want to pull the trigger, it's unlikely the market will have changed drastically and you can still sell the M3.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 09:35 AM   #19
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Given the very long lead times to get a GTS, what does it hurt to request an allocation now (if you can find a dealer that doesn't require a deposit right away)? If you decide you still enjoy the M3, then you abandon your spot on the waiting list. If you decide you want to pull the trigger, it's unlikely the market will have changed drastically and you can still sell the M3.
This. Then again this kind of thinking (I maybe want a GTS so let me get in the line just in case) is how a list gets hot.

I'm thinking similar thoughts, though deep down I think I'd like to add a 911 to the boxster (which I don't want to sell). But the 911 has 20/21 bulls*** and I'm sure other options that are trying to re-market it as an "exotic".
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 09:58 AM   #20
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Carvana says $55,100 for the M3, but I think I could do better on my own. I just spent >$1,500 on full front Xpel and the interior is immaculate. I also upgraded to full-screen carplay. It only has 11,500 miles, never had a single issue, and still has 9 months of warranty.

I was hoping for closer to 60k based on the ads I see.

EDIT: Autotrader has cars like mine advertised for over $70k. https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...&numRecords=25
FWIW, Carmax offered $8k more than Carvana for the Camaro this morning.
https://www.carmax.com/sell-my-car

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote