carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 09-26-2021, 09:35 PM   #31
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
Just configured a Boxster. http://www.porsche-code.com/PN65PAU7
18-way seats. Big spender!
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 09:37 PM   #32
JST

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1185...-big-leap.html

This post suggests the Bose is a decent jump up; Burmeister maybe not so much.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 10:23 PM   #33
JST

On colors--I'm a little disappointed by the various options; none of them really jump out and grab me. That metallic green is interesting but not my cup of meat. Poking around I found Gentian blue with gold wheels and that's kind of cool...but I think it's probably too much in real life.

https://www.rennbow.org/porsche-colors/Gentian%20Blue

Carmine red on the computer is a nicer red than Guards red, but is it worth the extra cost? On Rennbow it actually looks very similar.

https://www.rennbow.org/porsche-colors/CarmineRed

https://www.rennbow.org/porsche-colors/GuardsRed

I'd love to get green or orange but as much as these might work on a GT car I think they're a little over the top here.

EDIT: Oh, and the standard seats are manual--at least for up/down and fore/aft. The backrest is electric. Seems like the same setup I have on my car now.

Last edited by JST; 09-26-2021 at 10:37 PM.
Old 09-26-2021, 10:47 PM   #34
clyde
Chief title editor

This is an interesting turn of events. I look forward to seeing how it plays out.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 11:03 PM   #35
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
A new obsession is really fun.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 11:09 PM   #36
JST

I think FC or someone might have posted this Harry Metcalfe vid in one of the other threads, but I'm reposting it here:

Worth a watch.

Also this:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...gts-40-review/

Good pics of the metallic green.
Old 09-26-2021, 11:10 PM   #37
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Yes, I'm generally not fan of Bose stereos, especially sucky in home. The b6 s4 avant bose was 'meh', but I'll say that the porsche bose is a step up, had it in a number. Then again, the cabins of those cars, especially the mid-engined ones, are not concert halls.

The 4-way sports seats are manual seats, bolstered, maybe the seat back is powered, all the rest should be manual. They are the obvious choice for a fit guy/gal who wants to keep the build simple/light. I personally dislike the LWB on a street car. I also think the cayman R & spyder (while I didn't own them, I did many test drives, including at Monticello track-ish) are more street/road friendly than the gt4 (305 mpsc2 e.g.). I wouldn't put all of those cars in the same bucket. I'd expect the gts to come in on that side of things, so it would be my choice whether I did a 718 or a 911.

Or are they front/back power as well? The sports seats used not to be. If so, then I'd go whole hog for the memory, which comes in handy. Secondly, my urban garage is quite narrow making ingress/egress hard as the long door barely opens. The 14 & 18 ways have an automatic comfort feature for entry/exit on the seat and steering.

For kicks, I fired up the 911 config and simply cannot believe the thick layers of bullcrap porsche have come up with to separate fools from their money. New and inventive ways of specifying exorbitant useless options.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 11:24 PM   #38
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Yes, I'm generally not fan of Bose stereos, especially sucky in home. The b6 s4 avant bose was 'meh', but I'll say that the porsche bose is a step up, had it in a number. Then again, the cabins of those cars, especially the mid-engined ones, are not concert halls.

The 4-way sports seats are manual seats, bolstered, maybe the seat back is powered, all the rest should be manual. They are the obvious choice for a fit guy/gal who wants to keep the build simple/light. I personally dislike the LWB on a street car. I also think the cayman R & spyder (while I didn't own them, I did many test drives, including at Monticello track-ish) are more street/road friendly than the gt4 (305 mpsc2 e.g.). I wouldn't put all of those cars in the same bucket. I'd expect the gts to come in on that side of things, so it would be my choice whether I did a 718 or a 911.

Or are they front/back power as well? The sports seats used not to be. If so, then I'd go whole hog for the memory, which comes in handy. Secondly, my urban garage is quite narrow making ingress/egress hard as the long door barely opens. The 14 & 18 ways have an automatic comfort feature for entry/exit on the seat and steering.

For kicks, I fired up the 911 config and simply cannot believe the thick layers of bullcrap porsche have come up with to separate fools from their money. New and inventive ways of specifying exorbitant useless options.
The only thing I’d say is that it’s fun to buy a well spec’d Porsche because I always tend to not click the options. But if someone else does, it’s somehow easier for my to pay for them since the car is “as is”.

I just can’t go to the website. I don’t even want the temptation.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 06:54 AM   #39
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I think I'd feel physical pain if I paid money to get something made by Bose Maybe I need to go listen to a base stereo. Jeff - I found what you posted stating the car comes with Bluetooth, but in prior Porsches that only provided phone (like, calls) connectivity, not audio. Had to add an aftermarket module to any 987 to get Bluetooth audio. It does appear that the 718 has Bluetooth audio.

Good to know the base seats are manual fore-aft. I should have looked. That's really my preference, but it seems so rare these days.

Josh - Gentian is beautiful. I couldn't do it with gold wheels, but with silver wheels and the black, grey (or even brown... but not for me) interior it looks pretty amazing. I'm pretty torn on exterior color and typically that's not something I obsess over. None of the reds pull me in. Oddly I really like white, but Marisa vetoed that right away. After looking at some images, I switched back to the black interior as well.

Last edited by John V; 09-27-2021 at 07:52 AM.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 07:36 AM   #40
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Carrara white metallic and Gentian are both nice. I would go for CWM over regular white as it provides that icy/ghost-like edge. It was my second choice when I configured my gt4, which ultimately was dark blue metallic.

And yes, the tall gearing becomes less of an issue when you have a 3.8 or 4.0 at your disposal. Never felt it "too tall" in the gt4, but never liked that car's exhaust note that much either. Strangely, all other 3.4 and 3.8 981's and 991.1's sound better to me.

Last edited by equ; 09-27-2021 at 09:46 AM.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote