carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 09-23-2021, 11:58 AM   #41
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
I’m arguing against myself, but I would say that an EV Boxster will be faster for pure performance, much like PDK always beats manual transmissions. And this might count for something.
Another thing that is notable is that Porsche uses a 2 speed “gearbox” which translates to better efficiency in the Taycan.

And this might also enhance the top end where the single speed EV transmission falls off because of gearing.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 12:11 PM   #42
JST

Quote:
I’m arguing against myself, but I would say that an EV Boxster will be faster for pure performance, much like PDK always beats manual transmissions. And this might count for something.
I'm sure it will be faster, particularly around town. It's impossible to beat the response from an EV powertrain. It will also be more responsive, in the sense that it will have much more direct performance at nearly any speed.

If my experience driving Teslas is any indication (and I think it is), EVs are simply better at driving in 90 to 95 percent of scenarios people drive cars in. Faster, more comfortable, more direct, more convenient--if you're driving a car with an automatic already, eg, the chances that you'll like an EV powerplant better than whatever is under the hood now is close to 100 percent, especially since what's under the hood now is (statistically) probably a pretty boring and anodyne 2.0T with a ZF 8 speed.

My abiding concern is the one that Equ articulated: I am worried that what makes the Boxster worth owning falls into the other 5 or 10 percent of scenarios.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 12:19 PM   #43
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
TBD, I guess. But the timeline of 2025 and beyond would be great for me to replace the 2. And Boxster and an EV are at the top of my list.

The 2 will be eight years old by then. Although, the mileage will still likely be under 30k. So, who knows?

Maybe I'd just dump the Mazda (or give it to my kid) and buy the Macan EV.

That would not scratch the Boxster itch, however.

It's so hard to get the whole fleet in exactly the right mix and keep it there! Better move all this to the perseveration thread.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 01:31 PM   #44
JST

This car was $92K when it was new.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...ter-spyder-47/
Old 09-23-2021, 01:33 PM   #45
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
It’s a beautiful car. Timeless.

Old 09-23-2021, 01:47 PM   #46
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
I'm torn on all this. I can see myself being convinced to drop 100K on the right YOLO, soon-to-be-extinct car. But is the GTS 4.0 it? Would I be bale to get one?

For my uses, the super tall 1 & 2 gear is a real problem. The biggest actually. It's also not as pretty as the Spyder.

Also, I already have an M3, which I like a lot and has sentimental value.

The EV Boxster, for my uses would be the better car. I won't need much range, it will be faster around town, etc. Heck, I'd love for Porsche to offer a 100-150-mile, lightweight Boxster EV.

But the sounds? Shifting? I think I'd miss that too much.

A GT3 would scratch the Boxster itch, but that is more than I am comfortable spending.

Of course, there is always a Miata. And then there is an LS3-powered 525hp Flyin Miata.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 01:58 PM   #47
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
I'm torn on all this. I can see myself being convinced to drop 100K on the right YOLO, soon-to-be-extinct car. But is the GTS 4.0 it? Would I be bale to get one?

For my uses, the super tall 1 & 2 gear is a real problem. The biggest actually. It's also not as pretty as the Spyder.

The EV Boxster, for my uses would be the better car. I won't need much range, it will be faster around town, etc. Heck, I'd love for Porsche to offer a 100-150-mile, lightweight Boxster EV.

A GT3 would scratch the Boxster itch, but that is more than I am comfortable spending.

Of course, there is always a Miata. And then there is an LS3-powered 525hp Flyin Miata.
See, I like touring in the Boxster. I don't do it often, but when I get the chance to take it on a several hundred mile trip it's really magical. Particularly since the roads right around here are so dreary.

My other concern is track stuff. Even if Porsche has fixed the heat issue, speed of charge at the track is a pretty big deal.
Old 09-23-2021, 02:00 PM   #48
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post

AFAIK, the GTS is not rate limited. They’ll make as many as there are orders.

Old 09-23-2021, 02:45 PM   #49
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
AFAIK, the GTS is not rate limited. They’ll make as many as there are orders.
Even the GT cars aren't intentionally limited production...Porsche doesn't have a limited production strategy like Ferrari does (or atleast used to). Right now, of course, things are crazy due to supply chain issues across the industry. And I think Porsche is learning what customers want and will pay for wrt their GT range (the intro of the GT3 touring/manual for the 991.2 was their latest learning/refinment). They will build as many GT cars as they possibly can given the high margins. I bet by the time the 992 GT3 ends production it will be the highest volume so far.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 02:50 PM   #50
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
FYI. The ex is likely (for real) going to sell her 718S shortly.

It is not a mudgeon transmission or cylinder count, but is otherwise very nicely appointed :

2017 PDK in Guard's Red/Luxor beige interior (leather package). under 12k miles.

Sport Chron; 14-way seats; GT Sport Steering Wheel (heated); Power Steering Plus; Premium Package; Safety Bars in body color Lane Change Assist; Entry & Drive; heated and cooled seats; Nav.; Connect Plus; Light Design Package; and a few other little things.

I don't know what her price is yet. But, feel free to PM me if you want me to find out/are interested for yourself or someone else.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote