carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 09-19-2021, 12:00 PM   #21
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
But then again there are a lot of 1 and 2 series partisans on the board and those cars have never really done much for me. They feel too betwixt and between.
Absolutely. It's their greatest strength and their greatest flaw.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 01:03 PM   #22
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Dunno. I guess because I've had two Boxsters and zero Caymans, I am longing for a Cayman. As Clyde said, the weather here just isn't favorable (to me) for convertible ownership. Too hot and humid for me most days. I don't mind top down in the cold but that's what causes tops to rip, so I never did it.

I have missed the Boxster exactly zero times since selling it. As we gear up for our yearly jaunt to northeast PA I'm certain I will miss it a lot. Maybe in a couple years I'll buy another one.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 02:50 PM   #23
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
I couldn’t do this challenge if “new” is required. I don’t like paying for the depreciation.

I appreciate the spirit of that but i can’t think of anydaily driver type cars that a) i’d want b) are fully depreciated c) wouldn’t be a complete PITA to own. A wrangler or 4Runner are probably the best from that perspective but I have no interest in them. Anything European almost certainly fails the last criterion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 03:17 PM   #24
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Our current fleet is a Model 3 and a Model Y, so exceeds this limit…

But I have been toying with selling my 3 while values are high. I’d love to have a convertible again, and saw a low mile early ND Miata listed that I thought about. With the remaining cash from the 3, a used Leaf, Bolt (ignoring the battery risk), or even an eGolf could serve commuting needs and be something our daughter could use in a bit over a year when she gets her license.

I really prefer the Y over the 3 — and for us is just about perfect. That makes the 3 unnecessary. It’s now 3 years old and has just over 20k on it. There’s also the accident history on it where I don’t like still having it. But its paid for and is a great car, so keeping it is an easy choice…
Old 09-19-2021, 03:43 PM   #25
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
Our current fleet is a Model 3 and a Model Y, so exceeds this limit…

But I have been toying with selling my 3 while values are high. I’d love to have a convertible again, and saw a low mile early ND Miata listed that I thought about. With the remaining cash from the 3, a used Leaf, Bolt (ignoring the battery risk), or even an eGolf could serve commuting needs and be something our daughter could use in a bit over a year when she gets her license.

I really prefer the Y over the 3 — and for us is just about perfect. That makes the 3 unnecessary. It’s now 3 years old and has just over 20k on it. There’s also the accident history on it where I don’t like still having it. But its paid for and is a great car, so keeping it is an easy choice…

Seems like selling the 3 now and buying something more fun would make a lot of sense

Old 09-19-2021, 04:04 PM   #26
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
People have different convertible tolerances. I rarely drive the Boxster with the top up, even if it’s hot as hell or getting close to freezing. Idk, it doesn’t bother me—it’s all part of the experience. And the top down experience is for me way more visceral than you get with something like a Cayman.

Different strokes for different folks. To me the 987.2 is just about the perfect “fun” car; I like it better than the 981, by a substantial margin. But then again there are a lot of 1 and 2 series partisans on the board and those cars have never really done much for me. They feel too betwixt and between.

Speaking of 981s, this seems almost reasonable for a low miles CPO car:

https://finder.porsche.com/us/en-US/...reowned-1KRM5N

Old 09-19-2021, 04:15 PM   #27
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Speaking of 981s, this seems almost reasonable for a low miles CPO car:

https://finder.porsche.com/us/en-US/...reowned-1KRM5N

That is quite nice.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 04:47 PM   #28
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
That is quite nice.
Wow. It’s superb.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 04:58 PM   #29
JST

Yeah that’s pretty good. Someone here should jump on it. FC?
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 05:45 PM   #30
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Yeah I hadn’t really put much thought into the exact parameters of the question I posed. But your current mix of cars is certainly a possible answer.

When I was younger, I think I dismissed convertibles out of hand. But if you’re going to have a dedicated fun car it makes a lot of sense for it to be a convertible (unless you plan on regularly tracking it of course). The boxster seems to be the gold standard but it’s hard to beat the added practicality of the 1/2 series verts.

I also have a possibly self destructive desire to own an Aston Martin vantage v8 or Maserati gran turismo at some point. I still think they are beautiful cars. Though used examples now in the 40s I’d probably need to set aside the rest of the 100k for repairs!

One off the wall idea is the Ferrari FF. I don’t think they have quite gotten down to 100k yet though. I have a weird fascination with it even though it could be considered ugly.

The idea of a v8 vantage is so tempting, I think they are stunningly pretty and look/feel much more 'special' than a 911. I talked myself out of it, because we wanted something that we could use regularly and not constantly worry about. In the end im glad we didn't go that route, but it still tugs at my heartstrings Everytime I see it

And convertibles in the mid Atlantic are perfect. You can comfortably drive top down from 40f to 95f which covers about 10 months of our year. Just crank up the heat and heated seats on chilly days, or the A/C and ventilates seats on the warm ones. The wind deflector on the 911 hels a lot of you don't want buffeting
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote